autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How would you detail this car? ----> Barn Find - 1961 Plymouth Fury

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I'm not firm on all of my steps yet and I am thinking outside the box as to my approach.

The inside is all vinyl and dirty.

The engine compartment is a wreck.

The paint is shiny under the layer of dirt but I'm pretty sure the paint is in dire need of decontamination and correction.

All the metal work is dull, oxidized and stained.

The tires are ugly and the hubcaps need shining.

The glass is filthy inside and out.

So the question is....

How would you go about doing a proper detail on this car?

List your steps.

And all our newest forum members are absolutely encouraged to chime in!

For the exterior paint. My steps:
    Rinse the exterior to loosen and remove topical dirt. Then I'd do a waterless wash followed by claying the paint to reveal true condition of the paint. I'd probably use Meg 7 as from the year of the car, I'd say it's single stage. After that's done to satisfaction, I'd wax it using Collinite Doublecoat. For the metal, I'd use P21s Polish (tape of the areas surrounding the metal) and in retrospect, do the metal before the paint.

For the interior: first I'd vacuum the full interior to reveal possible next steps. From the description, I'd use the tornador (sp) to clean all the vinyl or if no machine, start with Optimum APC diluted to 10:1 and gentle brush and work up from there. For carpets, shampoo and extract or again, if no machine, use carpet brushes on DA using spot cleaner and diluted APC. For dash areas, I'd use either Meg's Interior Detailer or Meg's Synthetic Spray. P21s for any metal detailing.

For glass: I'd steam it all, interior and exterior followed by either Zeps, GG or Stoners glass cleaners. I like them all.

Tires and wheels: I'd place plastic over the rims and hit the tires with Optimum APC. I'd do so just in case a reaction from the APC to the metal occurs. After rinsing the tires, I'd use a gentle wash soap to clean the rims followed by P21s metal polish. I'd use Opti-Bond Tire Gel on the tires for shine.

Lastly, the engine. I'd research the engine on line and gain knowledge on sensitive part areas. Once I'm sure of those areas, I'd protect them with thicker plastic and bound the plastic with tape, etc. next I'd APC the exposed areas, let it sit, agitate with brushes and then rinse engine compartment. Blow dry engine. I'd probably use Meg's Synthetic Spray as its fine for rubber and metal.

Before presenting the vehicle, I'd use a quick detailer to knock off any dust.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't seem to edit my comment so I'd like to submit an edit here. Forgot the correction step.
    While everyone else is suggesting Meguiars #7 I don't think that's what Mike is looking for. The paint does not look oxidized in the photos. Would be helpful if I knew how much correction you were looking to get. I haven't heard if Essense is fine for single stage paints but if so I believe this would be a great vehicle to test it on. If intense correction is needed I would suggest WG Uber 3.0 followed with WG Polish Enhancer.
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

The darker corners of my soul are saying
    1) Distract Mike
    2) load it on a truck
    3) Run!!!

hawk

Post Thanks / Like

Answered in bold.
    Can't wait to see how this comes out! And this prize from Nick sounds quite intriguing...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I'm not firm on all of my steps yet and I am thinking outside the box as to my approach.

The inside is all vinyl and dirty.
    APC or a dedicated vinyl cleaner and conditioner after a thorough vacuuming with the DP vacuum. Shampooing of carpets or extraction, depending on how nasty they are. Cleaning of rest of interior with APC or an interior cleaner like the one from DP
    The engine compartment is a wreck.
    Blackfire cosmetic engine detailing kit
    The paint is shiny under the layer of dirt but I'm pretty sure the paint is in dire need of decontamination and correction.
    RW with the new Uber or any of the other rinseless options with the new rinseless mitt and some cobra waffle weaves. Mechanical decon with clay bar or nanoskin and whatever you prefer for lube(Uber diluted, clay lube, detail spray, etc...)
    Machine polish. Depending on level of damage use either a compound and polish or if it's not too bad just a polish. An old classic needs some classic style love, so go with a nice paste wax(like Souveran or Fuzion for example)to make the newly polished paint glow!

All the metal work is dull, oxidized and stained.
    Your favorite metal polish with your favorite rotary
    The tires are ugly and the hubcaps need shining.
    Your PC with cyclo brush and some DP tire cleaner and then DP tire coating. For the hubs, metal polish(assuming they are metal of course)and a small machine if needed(hard to tell how bad they are from the pics posted)
    The glass is filthy inside and out.
    Wolfgang's new glass cleaner and glass polish sound like solid choices

So the question is....

How would you go about doing a proper detail on this car?

List your steps.

And all our newest forum members are absolutely encouraged to chime in!

Last edited by ViperGuy21; 12-20-2015 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Forgot a step
    Currently: 2014 Jet Black Mica Mazda 6

Previously: 2004 Milano Red Acura TSX

Post Thanks / Like

Where oh where to begin! I'm sure if Mike is doing it, the correct answer is he'll do it like a Boss!

I would start by giving it a quick look over for bees and snakes. If you ever found a wasp nest in a car, I can relate. If you covered it with plastic and put bug bombs in it, I'd not judge you, but I'd also not recommend it. Anywho, back on topic.

I would do a quick pressure wash to get dirt from the cracks and crevices. Follow that with aProper rinseless wash. Then blow it dry to get the water out of those hidden places. Tires and all.

Next, decon the paint with a nano pad on a PC for large areas and clay for the tight areas. Then wipe all the clay lube off.

Gott show the engine some love. Lots of towels and APC. Steamer if I had one. Once it's clean, polish the chrome and dress the rubber. I think cleaning the battery terminals would be appreciated too. Oh, done forget the underside of the hood.

Next up, polish all that chrome and hope none has to be replated.

I'd polish the all the exterior Windows with dp glass restorer.

Tape up all edges and prepare for some paint polishing. Seeing how Mike is great with a rotary, I think he'll cut with a PE-14 and wool. That will be followed by the 3401 to finish it al off. Christmas is near so he may feel giving and go back over the gloss panels with the PE14 with some menzerna SF3800.

For the interior, start with a shop vac get everything out. I'd pull he seats with the owner's permission. After that, everything would be cleaned with APC, various brushes and microfibers. Top it all off with DP interior surface protectant.

All interior glass would be cleaned several times because it'll take many times to get all that off.

Finally, dress the trim and tires. Give the paint a coat of synergy and place a sample tub of sovereign in the glove box.

Most importantly, drink lots of water during and between all steps. Also, have fun. Play some music as you go.

Post Thanks / Like

Oops, ignore the parts about pressure washing and engine detailing. I forgot the car was immobile and would be back later.

Mike Phillips

***Update***

Some reallly good guesses so far!

As of Friday, alll I was able to get to was the first steps of getting her clean. January, February, Mach and April are incredibly busy next year, lots of exciting new projects coming up real fast plus a lot of regularly scheduled projects. Before anything happens though there's always planning and logistics that takes place beforehand and this type of work tends to get done in December.

Been thinking of all different types of ways to attack this car now that she's cleaned up but have not chosen any specific plan of action yet except to make her purdy.

So keep the guesses coming... I'm sure Nick will have a great prize for whoever guesses closest to the steps I use.

One thing for sure, she's a big un!

Also, Jim the owner has obtained a huge red bow to place on the car!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lets see. Check out the chassis to make sure there isn't any animal nests under there and clean them out first.
    Clean the engine compartment, underside of the hood using waterless cleaner. Don't want to be messing with them old spark plug wires.

Clean the inside of the windows.

Clean the interior being careful of all the old vinyl, wiping with water first. Start with the dash and work down.
    Vacuum the carpet, then extract it or steam clean.
    Apply above steps to trunk.
    Clean the door jambs with a waterless wash. The truck jamb as well.
    Rinseless wash the body, top down.
    Decontaminate the car with IronX or equivalent.
    Clay the car.
    Compound the car
    Polish the car
    Tape off chrome and clean polish it.
    Polish hubcaps
    Apply tire dressing
    Seal the paint
    Wax the paint
    Find way to prevent bow from sliding off car.
    :0)

I just bought my wife a beater truck for Christmas. This was a good chance for me to think it through on how to clean it.

Mike Phillips

***Finished***

Well at least the outside is finished. If Jim gets the brakes rebuilt in time for my upcoming January ACR 3-Day Detailing Class then he'll bring it back and my class will,

1. Learn how to use the Dupray and MyTee Steam Cleaners to clean the interior.

2. Learn how do do a Traditional Engine Detail.

The outside is done though. Didn't have time to share the pictures but I should get to it tomorrow.

When Jim comes back to get the car with a car hauler he's bringing a HUGE red bow for the final beauty shot.

As for the winner...

I'll post my process tomorrow, I think it will surprise some of you and then how about a few guys read through the thread and lets choose who came closest to listing the steps in a very "generic" way.

It's all in good fun....

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, some people got really close, but there were some surprises in your process like you said there would be. Can't wait to see what happens with this!
    Currently: 2014 Jet Black Mica Mazda 6

Previously: 2004 Milano Red Acura TSX

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast