autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Wet-Look .. with Detailer?

After I waxed my car .. I usually just pressure rinse it once a week ( I live in LA so after about a day or 2 you'll see lots of dust on your car) then when I dry it off with a leather rag I usually detail it a day or two later with a a Meguiar's Dtailer (see picture .. I use the burgundy one .. bout would like to know if somebody has good experience with the black one !?) I never really get the "Wet" Look that I see on some cars. Am I using the wrong Detailer or the wrong product in general ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Wet-Look .. with Detailer?

For 24.00 on sale use the reload,I did a corporate jet last year polished it and today I used reload from top to bottom wing to wing jet looks dripping wet.for the money and durability there is not much out there to compete with this product.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever clayed the car? Or compound / polish?

You need more than just wax and QD to get the look you're after.

Also, you'll need to improve your washing techniques, as it sounds like you're not using soap, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mactube View Post
    After I waxed my car .. I usually just pressure rinse it once a week ( I live in LA so after about a day or 2 you'll see lots of dust on your car) then when I dry it off with a leather rag I usually detail it a day or two later with a a Meguiar's Dtailer (see picture .. I use the burgundy one .. bout would like to know if somebody has good experience with the black one !?) I never really get the "Wet" Look that I see on some cars. Am I using the wrong Detailer or the wrong product in general ?

Refrain from the leather sham,it supposedly takes wax off.

Post Thanks / Like

@davey g-force yes I don't wash the car alot feels like its no need for it since I put in that wax work. Car has never been clayed compound or polished? Car is only about 11 months old .
    @GSKR how would you dry ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mactube View Post
    @davey g-force yes I don't wash the car alot feels like its no need for it since I put in that wax work. Car has never been clayed compound or polished? Car is only about 11 months old .
    @GSKR how would you dry ?
    Either waffle weave towels or some good microfiber towels or the guzzler towel,make sure to rip off tag so you don't scratch paint.ag sells them.

Post Thanks / Like

It is not a good idea to simply pressure rinse and dry. Pressure rinsing will never remove ALL of the dirt, and so by drying it at that point, you are dragging all the dirt over the paint leading to swirls. These swirls are robbing you of that wet look, which comes from (predominantly) flat paint.

By that I mean paint that is free of mountains (contamination) and valleys (scratches).

IME no quick detailer or spray on wax is going to take paint that is contaminated and has below surface defects and make the paint look wet.

If I were you I would look at at least claying it, if possible correcting the paint, and if not possible, at least using a decent AIO or glaze to 'level out' the paint, then top with your protection of choice and maintain from there on out....

Post Thanks / Like

Ok @GSKR I will try a guzzler towel.. since my leather rag is falling apart anyway and they are pretty pricy.. but a microfiber towel hardly absorbs the water!
    Ok @lawrenceSA I will give it a good car soap wash and try my luck again..

Post Thanks / Like

The wet look your after is going to lie more in the condition of the paint. If you have an LED flashlight, take it out and check your car at night. A decent LED will show you how good, or bad your paint is. Look for one with about 200 lumines and that should be good enough to show you your paint conditions. Chances are you are going to need a paint correction.

For the in between washes invest in a waterless kit such as the blackfire kit here at auto geek. It has the sprayer, waterless concentrate, and the proper microfiber.

BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Waterless Wash Kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast