autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using a Glaze

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using a Glaze

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Yes that is the recommended protocol from every coating manufacturer that I'm aware of. The idea being the coating needs an ABSOLUTELY clean surface in order to form a proper bond.

This means removing any of the polishing oils and any other substance used in compounds, polishes and paint cleaners.

Yes.

I've written a new book that deals with this topic that is not published yet. What I say, show and practice myself is to wipe the car down TWICE after using the Cleansing Polish because you want to make sure that all the trace residues from this product and process are removed before applying a coating.

Kind of like when a painter paints a car the most important aspect or factor besides doing the proper body work is to properly prepare the surface for the primer and then the paint otherwise there will be issues with surface adhesion.

So take your time and go around the car twice using clean, soft microfiber towels and wipe each square inch of each panel complete clean before applying the coating.

You're reading correctly.

I think I misunderstood the order you were going to use and I though you were going to use a glaze or paint cleaner last and then apply the coating and this would be incorrect.

The last step before applying any coating is to chemically strip the paint in some fashion.

Thanks Mike....I really appreciate your timely response and help. I'm now totally clear on what I'm doing and ready to get the task completed.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to extend the discussion to introduce any more confusion here on this topic but i am also looking at the PBL coating product and would like to fully understand the cleansing polish function. I believe we are all clear on not glazing but as far as finish steps...

The OP initially said he was about halfway through his correction phase enroute to the final LSP. After M105, i ALWAYS need a refinement step that is abrasive (mildly speaking). My favorite is also Menz 4500. Ok, lets say i am now happy with the gloss, depth of finish etc. after 4500. Do i now use Eraser and coat or does the PBL final cleansing polish replace Eraser? Basically, does the PBL Cleansing Polish follow Menz 4500 for any compatability factors with the coating?

Again, gang, sorry for any more confusion here but just trying to understand the exact and preferred steps for PBL coating. Let me offer it this way:

A.
    1. Correction (full and down to refined finish)
    2. Eraser (or any method you want for removing oils, carriers etc.)
    3. pBL coating

B
    1. Full correction (M105, Menz 4500)
    2. PBL Surface Cleansing Polish
    3. PBL Coating

C
    2. PBL Cleansing Polish
    3. Eraser (or your preferred paint cleaner)
    4. Coating

Or D, something else. I think i'm reading here Option A is best. As Mike said above, the PBL Cleanser is redundant over Menz SF4500?

My intent is to completely understand the final prep step to promote the best bond of the coating and thus maximize durability.

Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth, I've had my PBL Surface coating on for over 6 months and waxes and sealants don't stick to it very easy yet. ( I try a spot now and then for fun).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    I don't want to extend the discussion to introduce any more confusion here on this topic but i am also looking at the PBL coating product and would like to fully understand the cleansing polish function. I believe we are all clear on not glazing but as far as finish steps...

The OP initially said he was about halfway through his correction phase enroute to the final LSP. After M105, i ALWAYS need a refinement step that is abrasive (mildly speaking). My favorite is also Menz 4500. Ok, lets say i am now happy with the gloss, depth of finish etc. after 4500. Do i now use Eraser and coat or does the PBL final cleansing polish replace Eraser? Basically, does the PBL Cleansing Polish follow Menz 4500 for any compatability factors with the coating?

Again, gang, sorry for any more confusion here but just trying to understand the exact and preferred steps for PBL coating. Let me offer it this way:

A.
    1. Correction (full and down to refined finish)
    2. Eraser (or any method you want for removing oils, carriers etc.)
    3. pBL coating

B
    2. PBL Surface Cleansing Polish
    3. PBL Coating

C
    2. PBL Cleansing Polish
    3. Eraser (or your preferred paint cleaner)
    4. Coating

Or D, something else. I think i'm reading here Option A is best. As Mike said above, the PBL Cleanser is redundant over Menz SF4500?

My intent is to completely understand the final prep step to promote the best bond of the coating and thus maximize durability.
    A or B would work. Eraser and the cleansing polish do the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks stangfan, that's what i was thinking but just wanted to clarify with some of you folks more experienced. I gathered that from reading through this thread but inhaling silica dust for so many years has possibly adjusted my cognitive abilities a bit!

I do like "family" compatability and might prefer option B however i do like the performance of Eraser and knowing it has done its job. I guess i was just leery of what PBL Cleanser left behind. At least we know 1.) glazes are useless here and 2.) Eraser/iso alc wipes are redundant to PBL Surface Cleansing Polish.

Thanks again for clarifying.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12