autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a Glaze

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Using a Glaze

I'm part way through paint correction on a brand new Black GMC Canyon. I have completed wash, Ironx, Clay, and twice over with Megs 105 using both orange pad and a Girots microfiber pad. I've got most of the damage corrected that the stupid wash boy at the dealership did...struggling a little with both front fenders where the Tech apparently leaned over the fender without covering it. I'll hit that once more with Menzerna 4500. My question, since the truck is black....should I used a Glaze prior to using the Pinnacle Cleansing Polish, then the Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating? Will the Cleansing polish remove the Glaze? Thanks for your help. The final two steps I have planned is the Black Label Surface Coating, then the Black Label Wax over the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using a Glaze

IMHO:
    Do not apply the Glaze whenever
    a Coating is going to be the LSP.

The Cleansing Polish will already have
    enough "prep-work" to do, without having
    to also remove the Glaze's residues, etc.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    IMHO:
    Do not apply the Glaze whenever
    a Coating is going to be the LSP.

The Cleansing Polish will already have
    enough "prep-work" to do, without having
    to also remove the Glaze's residues, etc.

Bob
    Thanks Bob...thought that might be the case.

Post Thanks / Like

Tell us how the coating goes if you could please.

I almost picked this up the other week when they had it on sale and had the discount running too. Sounds like a great product.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    Tell us how the coating goes if you could please.

I almost picked this up the other week when they had it on sale and had the discount running too. Sounds like a great product.
    Will do...probably the end of the week before I get it on there...I still have some paint correction to get done.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by cartract View Post

I'll hit that once more with Menzerna 4500.
    This would be your last finish polishing step before chemically stripping the paint for the coating. The Menzerna SF 4500 will remove any remaining minor imperfects perfecting the finish as much as possible after the correction step.

My question, since the truck is black....

should I used a Glaze prior to using the Pinnacle Cleansing Polish, then the Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating?
    No.

The glaze will add nothing to the results created by the SF 4500 and neither will the cleansing polish.

So much confusion on the cleansing polish. It's an EITHER/OR product.

You either compound and polish the paint and then go to the sealing step OR after washing and drying use a cleansing polish before applying a wax, sealant or chemically stripping the paint for a coating.

You don't use cleansing polishes or what are called pre-wax cleaners if you have already performed a dedicated polishing step. The cleansing polish step would be redundant and would not add any improvement.

Will the Cleansing polish remove the Glaze?
    Yes but you shouldn't use it.

Thanks for your help. The final two steps I have planned is the Black Label Surface Coating, then the Black Label Wax over the coating.
    You need to chemically strip the paint of the polishing oils before using a coating.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    This would be your last finish polishing step before chemically stripping the paint for the coating. The Menzerna SF 4500 will remove any remaining minor imperfects perfecting the finish as much as possible after the correction step.

No.

The glaze will add nothing to the results created by the SF 4500 and neither will the cleansing polish.

So much confusion on the cleansing polish. It's an EITHER/OR product.

You either compound and polish the paint and then go to the sealing step OR after washing and drying use a cleansing polish before applying a wax, sealant or chemically stripping the paint for a coating.

You don't use cleansing polishes or what are called pre-wax cleaners if you have already performed a dedicated polishing step. The cleansing polish step would be redundant and would not add any improvement.

Yes but you shouldn't use it.

You need to chemically strip the paint of the polishing oils before using a coating.

Mike you say I need to chemically strip the paint of the polishing oils before using the coating.....I'm using Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating....is using the Pinnacle Black Label Cleansing Polish my last step prior to applying the coating......that is what I'm reading under the product directions on this website....or do I need something else? I don't want to screw this up!!!! Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

The cleansing polish is the last product to be used prior to the coating.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO dont even glaze before waxing or sealing.

Glaze is a artificial shine that lingers in the paint and does not last long.

So how are you going to get the best bond when there is glaze underneath.

That is just my opinion i can be wrong.

Mike Phillips

Mike you say I need to chemically strip the paint of the polishing oils before using the coating.....
    Yes that is the recommended protocol from every coating manufacturer that I'm aware of. The idea being the coating needs an ABSOLUTELY clean surface in order to form a proper bond.

This means removing any of the polishing oils and any other substance used in compounds, polishes and paint cleaners.

I'm using Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating....is using the Pinnacle Black Label Cleansing Polish my last step prior to applying the coating......
    Yes.

I've written a new book that deals with this topic that is not published yet. What I say, show and practice myself is to wipe the car down TWICE after using the Cleansing Polish because you want to make sure that all the trace residues from this product and process are removed before applying a coating.

Kind of like when a painter paints a car the most important aspect or factor besides doing the proper body work is to properly prepare the surface for the primer and then the paint otherwise there will be issues with surface adhesion.

So take your time and go around the car twice using clean, soft microfiber towels and wipe each square inch of each panel complete clean before applying the coating.

that is what I'm reading under the product directions on this website....or do I need something else? I don't want to screw this up!!!!

Thanks.
    You're reading correctly.

I think I misunderstood the order you were going to use and I though you were going to use a glaze or paint cleaner last and then apply the coating and this would be incorrect.

The last step before applying any coating is to chemically strip the paint in some fashion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast