autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New Car - Dealership Messed Up Paint

Hi everyone, newbie here(but i actually lurk a lot and a few forums for detailing tips and videos).

Need help and advise on my the paint damage the dealership did to my 2 Month old Honda Fit with "Vivid Sky Blue Pearl" color.

Everything else was mint except for whats seems to be an over spray or a rough area on the paint at the rear driver side door. It's just maybe 2 inches in length and half an inch wide.(i wish i just did not have them touch it).

as you can see the reflection seems to be inconsistent due to the rough paint area.

So i went back to them and have them try to fix it by buffing or polishing it out which i thought was an easy fix. As i trusted them knowing what they were doing i just sat in the waiting lounge and got my car back, the overspray seemed to be less noticeable...(i did not know what they did)but there's a lot of dried compound residue even on the drivers side area. I could not buff it out with a detailer spray of microfiber cloth.

I had them clean and take out the residue again, they used 3m perfect-it rubbing compound by hand and tried to polish using polishing compound of 3m with a black foam. I was hesistant at that time and had them stop the buffing after 1 pass. They put a good coat of APC Fine Liquid Polish on it. At this point I was like in denial and wouldnt take a good look at the paint. But after a few days i had the courage to look at it and this is the outcome.

I tried to clean it up by using Meguiars Claybar kit but nothing changes. Tried to apply TW Premium polishing compound by hand with an applicator pad and also with a microfiber cloth. It barely made a difference. I just put a coat of Ultimate Wax on it until i get good advice and decide on what to do.

a bit blurry but you can see where it starts. you can't really tell if you dont know but if you squint your eyes you can notice it.
    i'd describe it as a bit glossy but rough, and not as glossy as normal paint.

Went back to the dealer and the service manager said it might need a re-spray. I'm like WTH?? This is a brandnew car and it would suck if you would just re-spray it. I told them I will be back next week for a decision. I am hesitant at the moment coz they might mess it up more or might have another issue somewhere else when i get it back. But I honestly am going to the manager and file a complaint.

as you can see just where the rear driver door starts there is a dark area. that's where the paint is rough.

Anyway what do you guys think? Your advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Car - Dealership Messed Up Paint

What makes you say the dealer did it? Why did you take the car do the dealer in the first place? Was there damage there? Did they do paint work?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 99monguse View Post
    What makes you say the dealer did it? Why did you take the car do the dealer in the first place? Was there damage there? Did they do paint work?
    I got the car Brand New from the Honda Dealership in our area. They also have a paint shop at the back of their building which is another building.

It is under warranty and just a month old when i saw the paint defect. So i took it back to them to correct it but they just made it worse.

sorry if my post is confusing

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure, but I'm getting the feeling that this car was damaged after delivery from the factory, and was spot repaired in a shop by the dealer when they received it. Or more likely "after" they received it.

I could be wrong, but perhaps a paint gauge , and someone who knows paint could better tell the story.

Rare that vehicles, come like that from the factory.

Post Thanks / Like

I could be wrong again, but that driver's side rear door looks "2-tone" to me. That entire rear door may have been re-sprayed I'm thinking.

Think a dealer would tell a customer that when they buy the car, "well hey, we had to re-spray the car, there was some damage". Sure!

Sure it's rough, that's commonly the work, and trademark of many hurry up and get R done paintshops today.

They certainly aren't going to send the car out to Chip Foose for a re-spray.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    I'm not sure, but I'm getting the feeling that this car was damaged after delivery from the factory, and was spot repaired in a shop by the dealer when they received it. Or more likely "after" they received it.

I could be wrong, but perhaps a paint gauge , and someone who knows paint could better tell the story.

Rare that vehicles, come like that from the factory.
    Hi Mark thanks for your input. I actually dropped by a friend who paints cars and he did say he's positive it was re-touched by the dealership as he can tell the color difference was sanded quickly. and he also see's some painters tape markings on the rubber door seal. He advised that it needs to be done right. Repaint the panel and re-cleared also the drivers door should also be sprayed halfway and re-cleared as well.

Damn, so should i just have them re-do it and also ask for some kind of compensation?

Thanks again for your inputs.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The before "fix" photos

this is a photo of the car before i had them "fix" the rough area. its not yet "2 tone". maybe they just messed up buffing it too much?

Post Thanks / Like

It's a new car. Make them take it back and get a new one without defects. Unless they claim you caused the damage, then that's a whole new story. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

If a car is damaged and needed body repairs, the dealer must disclose this fact when you buy a new car. In California that is a state law. This obviously REDUCES what the car is worth. You have wasted enough time at the dealer, call Honda's Corporate Headquarters and explain what happened. Get a document from the body shop you went to that states that the panel has obviously been repainted. Demand that your car be exchanged with a new one immediately. They would be foolish not to take care of this. If you get the runaround contact an attorney.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

this is further on the right with good clearcoat...

this is on the area slightly dull and rough paint...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast