autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How to remove XMT 360 AIO?

I am going to try cQuartz UK Friday on the wifes TSX wagon so i need a Completely stripped surface for a good bond. I clayed this weekend and will be washing and using XMT 360 friday before the cQuartz. I know using an AIO instead of a dedicated cleaner isnt the optimum way to do this but its very soft paint and 360 + orange pad gives me the results i want since i dont want to be removing a lot of clear coat each time i do it. Also the wifers car is a little beat up so a swirl or 2 isnt a deal killer since an auto carwash did a lot of damage (took tiny paint chunks out) before my amateur detail days.

Anyway

Would an Iso wipe be good enough or should i do a concentrated wash with my Chemical Guys Mr Pink and then an iso wipe.

Yes i know the instructions also say to use eraser but if i cant find it locally I am going to have to skip it.

The concentrated Mr pink did a very good job of stripping before i did this winters process on my other car.

Any advise is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to remove XMT 360 AIO?

When applying a coating regardless of who's coating it is, you will need to make sure that the surface is prepped for bonding to occur.

One option will be performing a mild polishing session to remove swirls and freshen up the paint. Then you can proceed with Eraser or your IPA wipe down to prep the surface for the coating.

Another option is that if the paint is in good shape you can proceed with a coating prep polish such as the Pinnacle Black Label Surface polish. This option gives you the ability to freshen up the paint and remove anything on the surface that will interfere with the bonding of the coating.
    Pinnacle Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish

XMT 360 [WILL NOT] play a role in your coating application.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    When applying a coating regardless of who's coating it is, you will need to make sure that the surface is prepped for bonding to occur.

One option will be performing a mild polishing session to remove swirls and freshen up the paint. Then you can proceed with Eraser or your IPA wipe down to prep the surface for the coating.

Another option is that if the paint is in good shape you can proceed with a coating prep polish such as the Pinnacle Black Label Surface polish. This option gives you the ability to freshen up the paint and remove anything on the surface that will interfere with the bonding of the coating.
    Pinnacle Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish

XMT 360 [WILL NOT] play a role in your coating application.
    I am a little confused by your response. You acknowledge my need for a properly prepped surface (in this case essential virgin) Then talk about using a different polish and stating that xmt 360 will not play a role in my application?

no matter what the product used would need to get removed for a virgin surface for the cQuartz to bond to correct?

With that in mind, my product of choice is XMT360 since ive used it and find its results adequate for my needs and I am back to asking what is the best way to fully remove it to get back to that virgin surface.

This is not meant to be defensive but i would like some more info if we are going to move off of the initial question.

Post Thanks / Like

To answer your question, any abrasive finishing polish will remove the wax laid down by the xmt360, thus actually negating the need to use xmt360 in the first place.
    Meguiar's M205, or Menzerna SF4000 are my "weapons of choice".

Post Thanks / Like

If you like the abrasives in the xmt360, maybe look at their polishes.

XMT Ultra Fine Swirl Remover #1 by Pinnacle For your dual action or rotary polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowrydr01 View Post
    I am a little confused by your response. You acknowledge my need for a properly prepped surface (in this case essential virgin) Then talk about using a different polish and stating that xmt 360 will not play a role in my application?
    Why would you use an AIO product that will leave behind a decent amount of protection on the surface when the goal is to strip the paint essentially making it squeaky clean.

You will need to incorporate either a finishing polish or a cleansing polish into your routine for the coating application.

no matter what the product used would need to get removed for a virgin surface for the cQuartz to bond to correct?
    Yes.

With that in mind, my product of choice is XMT360 since ive used it and find its results adequate for my needs and I am back to asking what is the best way to fully remove it to get back to that virgin surface.
    Eraser, IPA, etc may not effectively remove XMT360 if you decide to use it. I would rather use a wax and grease remover such as this.
    Klean Strip | Prep-All®

This was a topic brought up recently about surface prep.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...cleaner-2.html

Post Thanks / Like

By applying XMT 360 you are just reapplying what you are trying to strip. Essentially wasting your time. You put a fresh sealant on your car basically with XMT360. When people say that surface HAS TO BE squeeky clean that includes any wax. When you put a AIO (XMT360) beforehand you are literally doing like the movie Groundhog Day. Even with a dedicated polish if you are applying a coating beforehand you also apply something like Pinnacle Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish or the other suggestions to remove the polish r r side from the previous step. XMT360 is unnecessary work that you might not effectively remove with a ''''Coating Prep Polish''' because you are going backwards essentially.

So you got to let XMT 360 go or don't apply coatings. Simple as that.

Post Thanks / Like

You can get something OTC like Meguiars Ultimate polish at most auto parts stores. it's a good product and not expensive. Follow with IPA wipe and you are in business. Using XMT 360 AIO is counterproductive to your end goal.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for jumping in

for the record i did know from the onset it was 1 step forward 2 steps backwards but hadnt realized it was that difficult to remove XMT.

I know "good enough" is not the fight song for autogeek but i think i am just going to go ahead without any paint correction. Its the wifes car and essentially the test vehicle before i put anything on mine and considering it has a couple door dings im not going to lose sleep coating over some minor swirls.

I did a second concentrated wash with mr pink last weekend and about an hours worth of clay.

I will do another wash this week to get rid of the chemical left by the ONR clay lube as well as general pollen and dirt from 5 days of driving and then an IPA wipe before i start.

Again i know the best case scenario is iron X, a polish, eraser to remove the polish and a IPA wipe but this is that path that i am going with due to timing.

Also, if it doesnt work im ok with losing out on $40 worth of cquartz and putting on the XMT360 and Klasse Sealant i already used to winter prep my car rather then overnighting a larger dollar value of product for a one car "test"

Post Thanks / Like

Strange posts.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast