autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dog scratch on car

What kit should I buy

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Any idea how should I begin,it's my first time.

Post Thanks / Like

First, you should try to remove as much of the scratch as possible. Can't tell from the pics, but it might not be that deep. You can try Meguir's ScratchX 2.0, rubbing hard to see if you can eliminate the scratch. If that doesn't work, you can try Meguir's Ultimate Compound, which is a bit stronger. If you have a dual action polisher, it will work much better.

After these attempts, the scratch might be too deep, or perhaps cuts into the primer or metal itself. In this case, you simply need some touch up paint. The suggestion was to purchase a basic Dr Colorchip kit. This is because they are really foolproof, and will look nice when done, as opposed to typical touchup paint, which tends to look clumpy and uneven, often not much better than the scratch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roguerobot View Post
    First, you should try to remove as much of the scratch as possible. Can't tell from the pics, but it might not be that deep. You can try Meguir's ScratchX 2.0, rubbing hard to see if you can eliminate the scratch. If that doesn't work, you can try Meguir's Ultimate Compound, which is a bit stronger. If you have a dual action polisher, it will work much better.

After these attempts, the scratch might be too deep, or perhaps cuts into the primer or metal itself. In this case, you simply need some touch up paint. The suggestion was to purchase a basic Dr Colorchip kit. This is because they are really foolproof, and will look nice when done, as opposed to typical touchup paint, which tends to look clumpy and uneven, often not much better than the scratch.

The only thing I might add to RogueRobot's suggestions is to make sure the scratch and surrounding area are clean. In addition to any paint remnants which might on the edge of scratches you want to make sure there are no other bonded surface contaminants which will introduce swirls around the scratches when you use the DA. You should class and then wipe with an IPA solution.

I haven't used the Dr. Color chip but I have head amazing reviews and reports.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irvsmith View Post
    The only thing I might add to RogueRobot's suggestions is to make sure the scratch and surrounding area are clean. In addition to any paint remnants which might on the edge of scratches you want to make sure there are no other bonded surface contaminants which will introduce swirls around the scratches when you use the DA. You should class and then wipe with an IPA solution.

I haven't used the Dr. Color chip but I have head amazing reviews and reports.
    Pesky auto-correct - You should clay and then wipe with an IPA solution

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12