autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

very bad marring from nanoskin

Well first thing i want to say is this is not the first time for me using nanoskin.
    I have done a good amount of cars with it, some with a little marring and some with none.
    I was originally using the 6 inch pad on my DA and the nanoskin glide. Then i decided to get the wash mitt and the bubble bath. So i used it and love how much easier it was to use.
    i did 1 or 2 with it with no problem. I recently did this Mercedes Benz with it and was terrified
    after seeing what was on the hood when i was done. The thing is i was letting my son use the wash mitt and i was using the 6 in pad but using it in the bucket of bubble bath. and from what i see it wasn't the wash mitt my son was using. it was the 6 inch pad that i was using that did the damage. So im not sure if you are only supposed to use the pad on the DA with the glide or can you use it with the bubble bath too. i figured it was ok because they do sell a hand strap for it.
    And just to let you know i was able to use menzerna fg400 and get it all out but i had to do just about the whole car which i was not planing on doin. so end result was i lost money on this job
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails very bad marring from nanoskin-img_1016-jpg   very bad marring from nanoskin-img_1017-jpg   very bad marring from nanoskin-img_1018-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: very bad marring from nanoskin

It is my understanding that whenever you intend to use a clay-substitute pad, you should also be planning on doing a full correction step (if not more).
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

I had a promblem with the cloth version type,I won't mention the brand the job was a simple wash and wax on a Mini Cooper it was disastrous when I dried it. I called the manufacturer to complain ,I got some products for free.also I will say is nano cloths are not the same if u see one on sale for 10 bucks,and a brand name is 20 do not buy the cheaper one ,you will pay a hefty price for the destruction,you have caused.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asalesagent912 View Post
    Well first thing i want to say is this is not the first time for me using nanoskin.
    I have done a good amount of cars with it, some with a little marring and some with none.
    I was originally using the 6 inch pad on my DA and the nanoskin glide. Then i decided to get the wash mitt and the bubble bath. So i used it and love how much easier it was to use.
    i did 1 or 2 with it with no problem. I recently did this Mercedes Benz with it and was terrified
    after seeing what was on the hood when i was done. The thing is i was letting my son use the wash mitt and i was using the 6 in pad but using it in the bucket of bubble bath. and from what i see it wasn't the wash mitt my son was using. it was the 6 inch pad that i was using that did the damage. So im not sure if you are only supposed to use the pad on the DA with the glide or can you use it with the bubble bath too. i figured it was ok because they do sell a hand strap for it.
    And just to let you know i was able to use menzerna fg400 and get it all out but i had to do just about the whole car which i was not planing on doin. so end result was i lost money on this job
    Did you break in the pad on your glass before using it on your paint?

Post Thanks / Like

The same thing happened to me when using the 6 inch pad on my Model S last year. The pad was broken in on the glass as instructed, and I think it was the Glide. I also had some marring on my car with the wash mitt using Glide as well. After I stopped using Glide, I no longer had the problem. Now, I have noticed some micro-marring with the Nanoskin products (I have the 6 inch, the mitt and the sponge -- all fine grade). None seems to work as well as the speedy prep sponge, which I loved when I used this year.

On the other hand, I just used Bubble Bath and the fine grade wash mitt on my neighbor's car. Her paint was in such bad shape, but I don't think the mitt made it any worse. In fact, it was very smooth after using the mitt and Bubble Bath.

I really think breaking it in is critical.

Also, I did have a problem with the sponge "melting" a little bit when exposed to IronX. Could that have been a problem for you?

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Did you break in the pad on your glass before using it on your paint?
    yes like i said it was the 6 inch pad that did the damage. i used this pad on alot of cars. the only difference is i was using it with the bubble bath this time. all the other times i used it it was on my flex with nano glide. Maybe its time to replace it. i dont know it looks ok

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    The same thing happened to me when using the 6 inch pad on my Model S last year. The pad was broken in on the glass as instructed, and I think it was the Glide. I also had some marring on my car with the wash mitt using Glide as well. After I stopped using Glide, I no longer had the problem. Now, I have noticed some micro-marring with the Nanoskin products (I have the 6 inch, the mitt and the sponge -- all fine grade). None seems to work as well as the speedy prep sponge, which I loved when I used this year.

On the other hand, I just used Bubble Bath and the fine grade wash mitt on my neighbor's car. Her paint was in such bad shape, but I don't think the mitt made it any worse. In fact, it was very smooth after using the mitt and Bubble Bath.

I really think breaking it in is critical.

Also, I did have a problem with the sponge "melting" a little bit when exposed to IronX. Could that have been a problem for you?
    I did't use iron x. the temp was a little warm and sun was out. dont know if that could have an effect.

Post Thanks / Like

Nano skins will always marr.
    Paint correction or just using a cleaner wax on a machine is needed 99% of the time.
    Your mess is an extreme case and you did something wrong so try to figure that out.
    As far as replacing them my wash mitt is about 4 years old and has done about 1,000 vehicles and I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon.

Just learn how to use it - it has saved me thousands of hours of decontamination after I wash because I use it as I wash then I can get onto the fun of correcting paint.

Post Thanks / Like

You could try cleaning it. I like to clean my OTC surface prep mitt after every job. As I like to state; I'm not sure if this is recommended, but I clean mine by drizzling blue dawn on it and scrub it lightly with a nail brush and warm water. I also like to agitate it against the grit guard in my wash/lube bucket during use. Wash bucket normally has either Meg's Gold Class or ONR at rinse less ratio. No issues with marring and I use little to no pressure on it during use.

If clay alternatives are any thing like traditional clay, they pick up and hold on to contaminates. They are not self cleaning and they are not getting folded over to expose a fresh surface.

Just my opinion and process.

Post Thanks / Like

I just did my black 150 with the fine wash mitt and onr at clay lube ratio I didn't see any marring I still followed up with Wolfgang finishing glaze.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast