autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Clay and baggie test. When to stop?

Hello everybody!
    Following the forums tips, I'm opening a new thread for this new question I have related to the clay process: When to stop claying.
    I've started claying my car for the first time, after reading and watching lots of articles and videos at AGOnline and getting a lot of help here.
    When making the baggie test, the difference between a decontaminated panel and a non yet treated panel is huge. But the paint doesn't feel absolutely smooth. I can still feel some texture, little bumps like grains of sand. A million less than before claying, but still some. I'm using brand new plastic bags.
    I'm working with 3D Professional grade clay bar that I think it is a medium grade clay.
    Should I keep claying until paint feels absolutely smooth?
    Thank you guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clay and baggie test. When to stop?

I think sometimes (depending on the condition of the paint) claying can only go so far and will require additional reinforcements for the decontamination process.

Do you have an iron remover such as Iron X? I use this product right before I wash the vehicle. Then after when I clay, it makes quick work of the process and more effectively has removed the stubborn particles that otherwise would take more effort to remove using the clay bar.

Post Thanks / Like

You might be feeling tiny "craters" in the paint due to solvent pop or more likely orange peel.

If you listen carefully when claying, you can hear the sound of the clay shearing contaminants off the paint. It's a very faint tick kind of sound. If you aren't hearing that sound anymore, you've done all you can with clay.

If compounding and polishing don't remove some of that feel, then it would be time to post pictures or seek the advice of a professional detailer or painter.

Post Thanks / Like

What other chemical decontamination can I do apart from deironizing?

If I can't find Iron X (since imports are very restricted in my country), could I use some deironizer that is intended for wheels, like Sonax Xtreme Wheel cleaner?

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Move on to your next step whether it's polishing or waxing.

Post Thanks / Like

dont sweat it. you could drive yourself nuts with that baggie test.
    do your clay processes and move on to the next step

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aim4squirrels View Post
    You might be feeling tiny "craters" in the paint due to solvent pop or more likely orange peel...
    I agree. You are more than likely feeling the texture of the paint, i.e., orange peel. I just went through the same thing on my truck today. The baggie intensifies your feel so much that unless you have a sanded, glass smooth finish, you're gonna feel something.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by aim4squirrels View Post

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Move on to your next step whether it's polishing or waxing.
    Quote Originally Posted by asalesagent912 View Post

dont sweat it. you could drive yourself nuts with that baggie test.
    do your clay processes and move on to the next step

I agree with both the above recommendations. My experience is it's hard to hit 100% absolutely smooth surface that passes the baggie test using clay.

You noticed a huge improvement and that's the key aspect that will show up as glossier paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Just want to say a big Thanks to Mike and all the posters on this old thread. I de-conned my Acura TL today for the first time in two years, using a variety of methods working to get perfect results: Nano towel, Ultima Elastrofoam block, and yes, good old-fashioned clay. Process, after washing, was to Iron-X the surface, let dwell for 5 minutes, rinse, and then use the towel/block/or clay with UWW+ as my clay lube.

While I can feel great "after vs before" improvement using the baggie test, I can't get the paint perfectly smooth no matter how many passes I make. The paint feels pretty smooth with my bare hand but I still feel bumps (but probably about 90% less) using the baggie test.

I was driving myself crazy trying to "pass" the baggie test. Thought I was doing something wrong. Thank God for this thread. I'm not gonna sweat it. Moving on to polishing.

Good to have the experts around here to answer a question when you need it!

Steve
    2014 Audi Q5 3.0T
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 1953hogan View Post

While I can feel great "after vs before" improvement using the baggie test, I can't get the paint perfectly smooth no matter how many passes I make.

Same here...

On some cars I can get the paint as flat and smoothing feeling as a chalkboard.

On other cars there's always a few bumps leftover...

I just do the best I can with the decontamination steps and move on to the next step...

Big Picture Detailing