autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint cleansing lotion - no. of pads

Hey Mike,

I just purchased PPCL along with the polishing pal combo (plus extra pads) off AGO. I will have a total of the 4 white pads that come with it. It should be here by next week.

Its too hot to bring out the polisher (118 as of today morning...) and my paint is in good condition.

My question is, is it the same process as though I were machine polishing when it comes to number of pads needed? So a pad per side of the car?

One pad each for:
    1. Hood and front
    2. Left side
    3. Right side
    4. Back and roof

Car is a VW Golf Gti
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint cleansing lotion - no. of pads

The only reason you would need/want multiple pads is because you don't want to stop and clean a single pad along the way. Four should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trekkeruss View Post
    The only reason you would need/want multiple pads is because you don't want to stop and clean a single pad along the way. Four should be fine.
    Trekkeruss is correct. Every so often you should give your pads a good cleaning...
    Mike Phillips has a Sticky on a quick pad cleaning in the Ask the Experts section.

Of course, if time is of the essence and you're doing production work, you would change out pads and clean them at the end of the day.

Since PPCL isn't a "correction" process (i.e. no abrasives), I don't see the need for doing 6 section passes per section. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

p

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt I would stop to clean as its pretty hot outside so was thinking of switching them out

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    Trekkeruss is correct. Every so often you should give your pads a good cleaning...
    Mike Phillips has a Sticky on a quick pad cleaning in the Ask the Experts section.

Of course, if time is of the essence and you're doing production work, you would change out pads and clean them at the end of the day.

p
    Not production, just personal cars. But time is of the essence as its hot, dusty and humid this time of year, so I would want to finish as soon as possible. I will toss them in the DP pad rejuv solution at the end of the day though.

Also will be doing this by hand, so cleaning a pad on the fly for hand applied products is a thing? I had no idea tbh!

Post Thanks / Like

If it's 118 in the morning, I think I would clean the paint at night.

Wouldn't it be faster to use the polisher?!

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning the pad takes seconds, spray the pad with pinnacle XMT Pad cleaner, bury the pad and a terrycloth towel, set the buffer to the highest speed and turn it on for 30 or 40 seconds. Re-prime the pad and go back to work.

Pardon the typos – iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

If it's 118 in the morning, I think I would clean the paint at night.

Wouldn't it be faster to use the polisher?!
    Ofcourse at night haha, but sun sets at 7 so I will probably work on the car from 7 - 10 pm? I study and work too so have to work on it real quick.

Yeah a polisher would be faster, but the setup and stuff takes time, also I'm still new to using my flex so would keep that for another day ( better safe than sorry approach). I mean if im bringing out the polisher, I might as well use m205 and a black pad as Mike suggested to me a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    Cleaning the pad takes seconds, spray the pad with pinnacle XMT Pad cleaner, bury the pad and a terrycloth towel, set the buffer to the highest speed and turn it on for 30 or 40 seconds. Re-prime the pad and go back to work.

Pardon the typos – iPhone
    I know about this, but I will be using the Pinnacle Polishing Pal, which is hand application not buffer :P