autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cutting the clear coat.

I have a 2011 Mazda Miata. I have cut the clear coat before with Meg's 105. I have to emphasize that I had NO IDEA what I was doing at the time. Here's how I went about it. I used a Dual Action buffer, a microfiber cutting pad, and a microfiber finishing pad. I compounded with M83, then I finished with 105. I used slow speeds with both (around 4 if IIRC) and not too much pressure. I just focused on going slow.

Well, through a decent amount of negligence, my paint is back to being swirly after a year later. I know 105 is overkill and I intend on never using it again. How much clear you reckon I took off? I know the Mazda paint is supposed to be pretty soft.. Anyways, tonight I plan on using M83 (the red compounding stuff), then finishing with 205, and sealing with M21. I am doing all of this for my own enjoyment AAAAND to go to Import Alliance.

Anyways, here are some pics. The swirls ain't too bad, but they're definitely noticeable.

I hope I posted in the right place. This is my first day here.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cutting the clear coat.

I am at work and can not see the pics but I would start with the least aggressive polish you can. try a test spot with the 205 first to see if that takes care of the swirls. hard to say how much clear you removed but one thing for sure is to improve your washing method to prevent wash induced swirls / marring.

Post Thanks / Like

You seemed to have done things a little backwards but that's ok we can help you out.

When polishing or removing defects it's always best to do a test spot before going through and doing an entire car.

How To Do a Test Spot

When doing test spots its always best to start with the least aggressive method and move up from there. When you used M83 while its was a great product a few years ago there have been many products that perform as well if not better and at much easier to use like the M205 or the consumer version Ultimate Polish.

After you used the M83 you stated that you went and used M105 to finish, this product is a compound and due to its aggressive nature should have been followed up with the M83 or the M205

Your process should have been M105 followed by M205 or the M83 if you wanted.

It's hard to say how much clear you have removed but I can assure you that you will be fine.

My recommendation is start with M205 on a test spot and see where you get with that. M205 can offer some great defect removal more than its given credit for and can finish down great. If you don't get the cut or defect removal you are looking for then I would go to M105 the followed with M205 and finally to your M21

Like it was started above you may what to examine your washing process to see how your can change that to reduce the chances of inducing swirls and scratches.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

As Evan said, the M205 may be enough to get the result you want.

And, however you posted those pictures, it reminded me of that old Disneyworld exhibit with the 360° screen....

Post Thanks / Like

I'd try a LC tangerine pad and something middle of the road for cutting, finish with a black pad from Griot's and their mp polish #3 or even #4. I say something middle of the road because you've already used M105. Doing the test spot is always the way to go, might even be able to get away with CG's Blacklight if the swirls aren't too bad.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

If you already have M205, I would use that and a polishing pad to do a test spot to be sure that this combination will give you the results you want. If so, then do the whole car. If not adjust the product or pad to give you the cut you need to accomplish your goals.

Just remember if you do decide to use M105, you will likely have to finish up with the 205 and a less aggressive pad.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I liked the results produced by just M205 and a foam polishing pad. I only had enough time to do the trunk and the hood. My wash technique doesn't include a grit guard, so I compensate by rinsing my microfiber wash mitt with a hose. I'll be getting a bucket and a grit guard eventually. Anyways, here are some pics.

The swirls aren't completely gone, but I'm happy because they're a lot less noticeable and the paint finish is nice and glossy.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work, you're off to a good start.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by HossMan View Post

Thanks guys. I liked the results produced by just M205 and a foam polishing pad.

The swirls aren't completely gone, but I'm happy because they're a lot less noticeable and the paint finish is nice and glossy.

Looks good.

Now in the future if you want to remove even more of the swirls simply buff a little longer with the M205 or pick up one of its cousins and after using one of the below do a little follow-up polishing with the M205.

M105
    Ultimate Compound
    M101

p.s.

When inserting pictures, hit the [Enter] key after each image and this will force each picture to line up directly below the previous picture.