autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

White single stage paint

I'm working with some white single stage Toyota paint (040). I know on the heavily oxidized single stage paint you let it soak up the oils from Megs No 7. I'm wondering if this is a good practice for single stage paint with light oxidation to have the paint in the best possible condition before starting or if that would be a waste of time and product.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: White single stage paint

This isnt an answer to your question but I have a car with White single stage paint and one with white clearcoated and the single stage definitely has more gloss. I think in general single stage paints can have a higher gloss than clearcoats

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a good thread to read:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...eaches-us.html

Bill

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd skip #7. It does nothing to Toyota Super White. I only use #7 on vehicle older than 20 yrs. with single stage paint. I'd go straight to a compound or a medium cut polish. Super white is very hard

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conquistador View Post
    I'd skip #7. It does nothing to Toyota Super White. I only use #7 on vehicle older than 20 yrs. with single stage paint. I'd go straight to a compound or a medium cut polish. Super white is very hard
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

The only time I ever had to use aggressive yellow pads (Lake Country) and a serious compound (Poorboys #3) was on a Corolla with white single stage paint. It was a bugger and took several steps to get it looking decent and glossy once again. Even with a Cyclo, and many pads, it was a bear to get it right. I wish you the best outcome.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

this may not answer your question either, but recently hand rubbed out a '96 corolla with cheap Scratch Out compound; took 2 days... still shines 5 months later; maybe this above approach, then #7, then #26..?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    The only time I ever had to use aggressive yellow pads (Lake Country) and a serious compound (Poorboys #3) was on a Corolla with white single stage paint. It was a bugger and took several steps to get it looking decent and glossy once again. Even with a Cyclo, and many pads, it was a bear to get it right. I wish you the best outcome.
    Last time I did one it was pretty heavily oxidized. I hit it with a rotary, wool, and 105. It went pretty quick. The paint actually didn't look too bad after that step.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I'm working with some white single stage Toyota paint (040). I know on the heavily oxidized single stage paint you let it soak up the oils from Megs No 7.

I'm wondering if this is a good practice for single stage paint with light oxidation to have the paint in the best possible condition before starting or if that would be a waste of time and product.

I wouldn't soak it in #7 I would just compound or polish and the LSP.

The #7 technique is rally for antique single stage paint where it's IMPORTANT to the owner of the classic car to preserve the original paint because THEY don't want to repaint the car.

Here's that article for all the members and lurkers that will read this thread into the future....

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

Last year we did do a #7 rub-out to a more modern car with heavily oxidized paint but this was more because I wanted to impart the knowledge and skills for how to do the #7 rub-out to the guys that attend my Thursday night classes so if they ever have the chance to restore REAL antique single stage paint they will both,

Know what to do - that's head knowledge

How to do it - that's hands on experience

Here's that thread,

1998 Isuzu Rodeo Extreme Makeover! - Single Stage Paint

Before

AFTER

I did also show the students that attended one of my Detailing Boot Camp Classes this technique on the REAL DEAL.

It's my guess this is the FIRST time ever in a formal detailing class where people, (students/newbies), were able to work on someone else's bona-fide all original classic car with the original single stage paint.

This is also going to be on "My Classic Car" with Dennis Gage.

Rupes Bigfoot Polishers Detailing Class & Extreme Paint Restoration

Another first in the car detailing industry
    The original antique single stage paint on this 1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible was hurting for certain. It's not only old but it's dried-out, oxidized and brittle.

My article on how to restore antique single stage paint is the only article like it in the world and teaching a class using the real deal, that is a real classic car with the original paint is the first time a true class has been taught showing how to properly restore antique single stage paint using the techniques I share in my article.

So this is a first in the industry and what makes it more unique is that Richard, one of the cameramen from My Classic Car with Dennis Gage was here to record this rare and unique opportunity for a future episode of My Classic Car.

Watch as the amazing transformation takes place before your very eyes.....

Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze - Been around since the time of the Model T

Each project starts with a demonstration, in this example the correct technique for applying Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze and really working it into the paint is shown.

Here you can see Richard from "My Classic Car" filming this demonstration.

First... here's the before pictures.....

Here's the after pictures....

The below picture is the same picture as above only flipped vertically

I won't post the after shots of the interior till I get to the process pictures showing the interior being machine scrubbed and steam cleaned....

Now that was a landmark detailing class by anyone's standards. What a rare opportunity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast