autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

paint issues looking for suggestions

Hi my first post here I Thought maybe I could get some advice before I go to do anything. Consider my car care experience minimal and typically just use the automatic Touchless carwash. All these issues came with the car when I got it and I think some of them might be able to be fixed if I get it detailed. The car is black with black leather interior. The seats don't look horrible but they do have some of that lines cracking look and the headliner is tan but has some black marks on it. Also would you recommend to take it to a dealer or a local detail shop directly? Also I prefer to do it cheaply but well and done so taking care of. But I am open to suggestions.

It has tons of light scratches like someone drove it through the bushes or something and swirls. There are some scratches ruff to the touch but most are smooth and there is also what looks like huge chunks down to the white. It is easier to show it so here is a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mpLcWfwN_w

Not shown is also similar to the chunks is a chunk out of the wheel spoke towards the center to the white part as well. These are the wheels it came with http://wheelresource.com/assets/whee...lera_black.jpg which are also missing some lug nut covers if anyone knows where to shop for those. Now I am not sure if anything can be done about the white chunks would it be stupid to if nothing else get them painted black instead of white so the don't look as bad or use vinyl over it?

Also I should mention my current car maintenance is basically taking it to the automatic touchless carwash. Would this bring back swirls afterwards? I was considering getting some pinnacle or ultima waterless washes and some microfiber towels but not sure. Like I said I mostly just take it to the carwash once in awhile. Right now I don't really have any car care materials but was considering getting some and the waterless looked interesting because I could do it in the garage. How many towels would I need 3? 6? Any advice would be great I think I might try something come nicer weather.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: paint issues looking for suggestions

Anyone? Just wondering what steps I would need to get done and if it can be fixed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mpLcWfwN_w

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on how much you're willing to do, I would take it to a detailer. First I would think about how much I would be willing to do my self.

The swirls can be removed with polishing, some of the deeper scratches may also be able to be removed. It depends on how deep they are. You would really need to have the paint corrected or evaluated first hand to determine what level of correction polishing would achieve. It's hard to tell from just the pictures a d description.

I would recommend that before you jump to correcting the paint, you learn how to properly wash the car so you don't put any defects back onto the paint (e.g. Swirls). I don't use automatic car washes as they can put scratches into the car. Although touch less washes shouldn't put a scratch I wonder how strong the wash solution must be to get cars clean, and what this would do to the wax or sealant on the car. To me it is easier and safer to give it a wash.

I personally use Optimum No Rinse wash and shine for rinse less washes. I find I use 6 - 8 microfiber towels.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure what to do because I want to get rid of the swirls and scratches. But because I mostly just use a touchless car wash I am thinking the swirls might come right back. I like to keep it looking clean but I am doubtful I am willing to wash it by hand maybe during the summer but definitely not during the winter.

Is it hard to mess up with a dual action polisher/buffer? I don't want to damage it. I think the one place would charge like 350$-450 for interior exterior and paint correction and the other maybe 165$. I am debating getting the stuff and trying to do it myself but that is expensive If I suck at it or screw it up but for the price the one place charges I would have the stuff and could redo it each year after winter. But I am clueless when it comes to car care. Also I am finding it pretty much constantly gets covered in dust and pollen and feels like it constantly needs washed.

Post Thanks / Like

1st tell us where your from, that way maybe some one local can help you out and even show you how to properly car for your car afterwards

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I went ahead and ordered the meguiars restoration kit today and the pinnacle polish free sample. Meguiars Brilliant Solutions Paint Restoration Kit, meguiars G3300, paint polishing kit, restore auto paint

I know it won't be the best without a machine but I figured. By hand might be able to make it a little better plus it has some wax and towels to get started and see how I like it.

Any specific way to fold the clay bar? I know it is best to do it all at once but if I were to split it up would it be better to do all steps to one area at a time or do like like clay bar and compound to the whole car then polish and wax the next day? I have no idea how long it takes but I know hours by machine so hand...

Do you think this kit is enough for the whole car or should I focus on the tops or worst spots first?

Post Thanks / Like

machine polishing is the way to go for removing defects. everyone is a little intimidated at first, but after you learn how you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner (see my sig). if you can mention where you are from, maybe someone on here can help you out...
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Again, where are you from? Someone would be happy to help you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post
    Again, where are you from? Someone would be happy to help you.

You don't have to give out your address, just your city or one nearby so we can see if one of our members is close enough to you to arrange a meeting and answer your questions and maybe work on your car with you so you get the idea of what to do and what's involved.

Post Thanks / Like

That paint looks very rough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast