autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Will this be powerful enough?

I need an air compressor for my new Tornador Black. I need one more that is portable and will fit in the trunk of my car. Do you think this will work?

Craftsman 7 gallon 1hp 135psi 3.7 SCFM at 40 PSI and 2.4 SCFM at 90 psi.

I realize that it will be running a lot but that is fine with me. Please tell me what you think. There is also a 10 gallon unit with the same specs that might fit in my trunk. I would just have to lay the compressor on its side and I and not sure if that would be bad for it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Will this be powerful enough?-image-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will this be powerful enough?

I am no compressor expert but I just replaced a 6-year-old Craftsman pancake style portable that quit working with a portable from California Air Tools mainly because it is so much quieter. If that compressor is like my old Craftsman it operates with an exposed piston under the shroud and it was deafening. The Ca air tools compressor is so quiet that I wish I would have spent the money years ago. They did not seem that much more expensive that the other portables but I could not find any quieter. Besides my hearing being important nothing seems to piss neighbors off more than a loud compressor or shop vac.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by detailedsd View Post
    I need an air compressor for my new Tornador Black.
    Do you think this will work?

Craftsman 7 gallon 1hp 135psi 3.7 SCFM at 40 PSI and 2.4 SCFM at 90 psi.

Please tell me what you think.
    IMHO:
    You will not be able to use the Tornado Black tool
    anywhere near its maximum potential with the
    above listed compressor.

From the Tornado Black's description/specs:
    "you need a compressor with a discharge rate of
    at least 270L per minute (9.55 cfm)".

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Mike Phillips

I agree with Bob...

I did some research on air compressors for air tools and to feed an air tool like the Tornador you really need something in the 60 gallon tank capacity.

Here's what I wrote for an upcoming project...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

How big of an air compressor do I need?
    The most common question about air tools is how large of an air compressor is required to effectively power the tool?

Air Compressors are measured in two primary methods, PSI which stands for pounds per square inch and CFM which stands for cubic feet per minute. It’s the CFM rating that is most important and the higher the CFM ability of an air compressor the higher the cost because in order to supply a constant high rate of CFM an air compressor needs both a large motor and air pump as well as a large air holding cylinder which holds the compressed air.

Smaller air compressors can supply a high enough PSI but after running this air sander or any air tool for a few minutes you’ll find the tool running low on power as it will deplete the supply of compressed air in the holding tank faster than the motor and air compressor can replenish it.

The minimum requirements for this tool are 11 to 12 cubic feet per minute and a quick look at my local hardware stores showed that in order to supply a constant feed of air to this tool you’re looking at purchasing an air compressor in the 60 gallon family for the compressed air holding tank. We’re talking about one of the large cylinder models that stand about 6’ off the ground, not the small air compressor a lot of people have that rolls around on wheels in their garage. So keep this in mind when considering purchasing this tool for car detailing work.
    Do us all a huge favor though...

Hook up your Tornador Black and test it out and let us know how well it works. I'm confident a lot of other people would like to hear of your results and just as many would like to find out they can run a Tornador Black with this size air compressor.

Post Thanks / Like

I have run my Black off this compressor for going on 3 years now, have never lacked power or ability to run for long periods of time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Will this be powerful enough?-1424702240767-jpg  
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com