autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Problems with year 2005 MB S-CLASS W220

Hi there to all detailers out there, i am really new to detailing. Recently working on my own black MB s-class w220. The car is not well maintain so is full of swrils ...some deep scratch and holograms... When i first started just having the thought to first be able to remove swrils . Im using rupes Lhr 21es 6 inch backing plate , running it with original rupes pads and some Chemical guys pad. Started with rupes corse pad with Chemical guys v32..nothing is changing beside a brighter look on the paint. so i thought maybe the compound is doing more swrils so after v32 i move to v36 with softer pad ....still not removing any defects just lighten them.....i have tried several techniques like giving more pressure on the machine and also no pressure at all....slower hand speed ....i even try slowing down the machine speed with slow hand speed....not doing any good..pls help really need some advice from all pro's here to tell me what is goin wrong and what my problem is......appreciate any help. thanks alot

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Problems with year 2005 MB S-CLASS W220

i have found newer mercedes to have a very hard clear coat. your best bet it to hit it with the LC Purple wool pad and M105 or M100. i just finished a "basic polish" on a silver 2009 e55 and it took a lot of work to get the light swirls to come out. even with M100 on a wool pad with me Rupes 15.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. It really is a pain in the ass . With the hex logic orange pad too i think i have been going over and over on the same panel but nothing happen. Will definately give the wool pad a try and see how it goes. Thanks alot on the advice

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same issue with my 2014 BMW X5 on Black Sapphire Metallic and was successful with coarser foam pads

Yellow foam pad on plastic panels
    Orange foam pad on metal panels

Both on FG400

The speed setting I solely use is speed #6

Rotate your pads often when using speed#6 as you could overheat and burn through your foam pads

Post Thanks / Like

I have recently worked on 2 Merc's. 1 was my GF Metallic Blue 2005 MB 230 Kompressor and the other my buddy's X-wife Black 2014 Merc 350 Coupe.

The 1st thing is look on the Manufacturer's door jamb and see if it has the MB Clear coat. I can't remember what they call it but it is a specific clear coat for Mercedes.

Look for a letter for the paint code and a number. If there is a letter before the number then it has the special coating. If not then it is typical cc paint. I know someone will chime in what I am talking about.

Now for what I think...IMO I think you should go with Menzerna FG400 (or Megs 105 or Wolfgang's Swirl Remover or equivalent) compound polish with an Orange Pad.

Polish with Menzerna SF4000 (or Megs 205 or Wolfgang's Polish or equivalent) with a White Pad

Both settings with your DA (I do not know Rupes only PC, GG or Meg's all very similar) should be around 5 to 6. I use the Flex 3401 at speed setting 5 for both (my main DA)

I have had nothing but bad experiences with CG V products.

Now that is me you could have a different opinion.

Here are a couple of pics on the MB 350. I corrected it in Sept/Oct of 2014 and looks like I am going to do it all over as she takes her car to the car wash...

Any case, I hope this may help. I can't find a swirl picture but once I do I will post.

BTW, MB and well as BMW are hard paint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Problems with year 2005 MB S-CLASS W220-sina-merc-10-19-14-003-jpg  
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

looks really good . Yes perhaps i should try with menzerna compound and polish heard they were better than most stuff out there. I have ruin my first set of rupes pad . switch to hex logic orange cutting and after so many passes using the compound then to polish and finishing ...kept repeating those steps i only manange to lighten the scratches . i'll try to post the final out come of what ive done tomorrow and hope to get more comments from you all. I guess as a newbie detailer i should play around with other products more instead of sticking to just 1 brand.