autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Clear coat issue

I want to remove the side molding for a cleaner look. Upon doing so, a ridge of clear out lined where the molding sat. It appears that the molding was applied while the clear was still wet. I own the Rupes system of 3 DAs & pads. How can I level the clear? Polishing & or sanding? Aside from this, the car is mint.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clear coat issue

Not sure if you have ever machine sanded, but that's would I would probably do. I use the Meguiar's sanding discs and preferably the 3inch discs with their interface foam in between just to be a little safer. The 1500 grit will definitely take down the ridge of clear. Just take it easy and do a few test areas first to make sure you have your technique down. Follow up with the 3000 grit to remove the deeper sanding marks. Then go with a microfiber pad for the Rupes and go to town removing your sanding marks. A final polish to remove any possible DA haze you might get from the compounding step. You should have a nicer finish after that. Another option if you want to skip the sanding is the 3inch CarPro Denim pads. I used it with a the FLEX PE-14 rotary and it did a good job of removing any heavy orange peel I had on my repainted parts.
    1991 Saturn SL2
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks,Mike. No, I haven't done any machine sanding in the past, but I'm not afraid to give it a whirl. Been watching the vids where the pro's make it look so easy.

Mike Phillips

Here's what you want to get,

Griot's Garage 3" Polisher
    Meguiar's 3" Interface Pad
    Meguiar's #3000 3" Unigrit Discs
    3M Trizact #5000 3" discs

Machine sand the ghosting marks using the #3000 followed by the #5000 and then remove your sanding marks using the Rupes Zephir Gloss Coarse Compound with the Rupes Blue Foam Cutting pad on any of the Rupes tools.

Simple Simon

Sometimes you cannot remove 100% of the ghosting appearance left by trim or signage, or fill in the blank. Just keep that in mind...

I'll try to post the picture of how I used the above on the hood of this old 2-door Ford before I go home today. I machine sanded it twice and then buffed out my sanding marks and polished and waxed till it's all purdy....

Breaking in the new Show Car Garage - 1932 Deuce Roadster!

Post Thanks / Like

Another Mike, the Mike to thank. I already own the Griot's Garage 6" & 3" polishers. They didn't remove any light scratches or swirls. That is why I bought the Rupes 21, 15, & 75. So far, I can say they are awesome at repairing paint defects. Did all my homework on Autogeek concerning the Rupes. Thanks again.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

The Denim pads are not great for this task

I had a similar situation following removal of a pinstripe

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hawk View Post

Another Mike, the Mike to thank. I already own the Griot's Garage 6" & 3" polishers. They didn't remove any light scratches or swirls. That is why I bought the Rupes 21, 15, & 75.
    Good to hear...

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hawk View Post

So far, I can say they are awesome at repairing paint defects.

Did all my homework on Autogeek concerning the Rupes.

Thanks again.

Good to hear too!

So keep us posted on how the machine sanding and then polishing work goes...

Maybe a pic or two... other people come to this forum with this same issue and your story could help others into the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Will do.