autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to protect detailer's nightmare vehicle in Florida

I have been into cleaning and waxing my vehicles since 1990. My skills were poor compared to what I see here and I have tried countless parts store products. In the late 90's I started using the Meguiar's Deep Crystal system with a poorly performing cheap random orbital buffer but achieved results better than I ever did before and thought all was good. My supervisors have always complimented my vehicles as they are usually the best looking in the district so I'm usually their first choice for special details and parades. Last year, a friend of mine at a body shop gave me some 3M rubbing compound and some polish but I was not getting the results I wanted due to the buffer and bonnets I was using. Recently I decided to take it up a notch. I got a Porter Cable polisher and a pack of 5.5 inch Chemical Guys pads for Christmas.

The vehicle is a 2012 Chevrolet Tahoe with 42,000 poorly cared for miles that I just received from someone else. It was badly swirled with some unacceptable body work on a few panels. The new Porter Cable polisher worked so well that I couldn't believe I waited so long to get a quality polisher. The products used were the 3M compound, Meguiar's Ultimate Compund and Polish. I topped with what I had which was Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0. It is not perfect when I inspect with certain lighting but such a dramatic difference that some thought I got a new vehicle and had a hard time believing that I was able to make this vehicle look so good. I have actually caught two people touching it at a gas stations.

The question is, what is the best product to protect it. I have read for hours in the last few days and would like to say thanks to Mike because his tutorials showed me so many things I was doing wrong or counter-productively. The budget is very tight and long term durability is more important than the subjective look. Don't get me wrong, I do like it to have attention getting gloss and shine but don't have the time to care for it like a garage queen and this vehicle is rode hard and put up wet in the worst weather and storms. I am lucky when I get 3-4 weeks from Tech Wax. I have read so many reviews that I don't know what to believe due to the unknown variables. I want to be able to use a sealer that could last a year. I usually detail twice a year but waxing every three weeks just isn't feasible. The sealant also needs to withstand the heat of long periods of idle. I would also like to be able to throw on a coat of carnauba wax for the those special occasions and parades with the protection of sealer remaining intact. Like I said, the budget is tight and while I enjoy the look and impressiveness of boutique waxes, Pinnacle Souveran need not apply. Sorry for the long post.

Essentially I need recommendations for:
    Sealer
    Wax, for looks on certain occasions
    quick detailer for freshening up
    And any general tips for this kind of vehicle

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to protect detailer's nightmare vehicle in Florida

Welcome to the forum!

With a tight budget, your options will be limited.

No sealant will last you a year, period. If you can only detail 2 times a year, I'd suggest trying collinite 845 for your budget. Great looks, sealant durability. Can be reapplied for your special occasions to get max looks.

I'd also pass on the quick detailer as well. In my experience, QD's are for garage queens that haven't been driven for a week, are clean, but need a bit of light dust removed. They should not be used for cleaning proposes. It's always better to hand wash with a quality soap and quality cleaning products.

If you'd like an easy product to freshen up the looks after a wash, look into duragloss aquawax.

Post Thanks / Like

Might want to get you some of the Meguiars new Paint Protect.

Supposed to last a year and only costs 10 bucks

Meguiars Paint Protect

Post Thanks / Like

Nxt paste worked well for me, I used it for many jobs where paint correction wasn't feasible. I never tried the liquid once they discontinued the paste. If you are looking for a good sealant, I recommend Poorboys exp or even a coating. I used cquk on my truck and did two coats with 30ml. It's not terribly expensive to do and if you don't rush, it's not difficult to use. As for a wax for looks, my go to is dodo blue velvet pro. A panel pot should last a while, but if you're looking for bang for the buck, I would either use 845, 915, natty's blue, or surf city's paste wax.

Post Thanks / Like

All last summer I predominantly used:

1. Duragloss 101, which is a cleaner/sealant.
    2. Surf City Garage Nano Seal. Pure sealant.

My all time favorite? Duragloss 111.

I also used NXT liquid, Ultimate Wax Liquid, , and #20 Polymer Sealant. All by Meguiar's.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to stay with the Meguiar's family you can look into Ultimate Wax which lasts longer than NXT. About 4-6 months. Their Paint Protect 365 is new and is supposed to last a year. 365 will give you protection but ultimate wax will give you better gloss.

If you are looking to try something another brand look into Detailer's Pro Poli-Coat Paint Sealant or the klasse twins.

Another option is Sonus Ion which is supposed to last a year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty4x4 View Post
    The question is, what is the best product to protect it.
    Having spent 7 years in S. Florida, I quickly realized how damaging Love Bugs can be to your paint! If you want to absolute best, most protective coating for your vehicle's finish I strongly urge you to consider Opti-Coat. Here's the durability test on did on my car that I'm sure you will find helpful:

GRAND FINALE -Optimum Opti-Coating - Durability Test Review!!!

Metro Detroit's Leader in Vehicle Preservation & Perfect Paint Finishes

Post Thanks / Like

I did not even know that Meguiar's Paint Protect 365 existed.
    After reading up on the recommended products, Paint Protect, Collinite and the Duragloss are in the realm of what I am looking for. Will all of those last for at least 6 months? Will they have any resistance to acidic bugs? Please excuse all of the questions but every manufacturer claims to have "the most intense gloss", "extreme protection and durability", etc... I know that actual experience from people that have actually used many different brands and types will yield better information than the reviewer on "GiantShoppingWebsite.com" who has finally used his first wax and says he was blown so far out of his shoes that medical treatment was needed.

I see what you are saying about the quick detailer. I meant that this would go on after a two bucket wash which usually occurs at least once per week. Would the Aqua wax that you recommended be compatible with these sealants or should I be careful about my choice?

The Opti-Coat is very intriguing, especially after your experience with love bugs. If it would be guaranteed to last as long as yours did then it may be cost effective. I am leary about coatings due to, I may mess it up (I am a newb compared to most people here) and cause it not to last. I also need to be able to polish out areas and reseal a panel. In which case I would be out of luck. While I do try to keep it clean, it gets rode hard and iff raoded from time to time. The $60 kit is so small that I also worry about being able to do my entire vehicle with just one syringe.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, the best thing to do is to pick a sealant, then use a spray sealant from the same family line after evry wash. Wolfgang or Blackfire both sell sealants and spray sealants.
    Or, you could use a paste wax, then use a spray wax after every wash.
    Be sure to use a good quality soap such as, DG901 or something from the Pinnacle, Wolfgang line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty4x4 View Post
    The Opti-Coat is very intriguing, especially after your experience with love bugs. If it would be guaranteed to last as long as yours did then it may be cost effective.
    I also coated my wife's black T&C minivan just after my Fusion and it's still holding very strong. Keep in mind that Opti-Coat Pro comes with a 5 year warranty, so there's you're guarantee right there.

Metro Detroit's Leader in Vehicle Preservation & Perfect Paint Finishes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast