autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Which cleaner more suitable for wheel, tyres, and wheel wells, Degreaser or All Purpose Cleaner?

There are a lot of products, both consumer OTC or professional/detailer in a gallon dedicated to clean wheel, tyres, or wheel wells. Some are even designed to clean effectively on different surfaces. But over here these kind of products are not easily available and not so economical to be used on a long term basic (like weekly use, throughout entire year).

There are local manufacturers here that make their own degreaser and all purpose cleaner. These products are easily available to me and economical. They work and serve the purpose also. So I intended to use it as my routine product.

The puzzle I am having now is, after much thought, I still cannot determine which product (degreaser or all purpose cleaner) are best for the following 3 surface types:
    1) Wheel (my wheels are painted, clear coated, alloy wheel)
    2) Tyres (rubber)
    3) Wheel Wells (mostly plastic, some metal with black antirust coating material on it, all cars are the same I think)

I was using degreaser at 10:1 ratio for all three surfaces previously. It does get the job done. But recently I have been wondering should I switch to all purpose cleaner instead. I am from a tropical country so there is no winter here, it is either sunny or raining. I am not living close to the coast line neither.

So let me summarize, my question is: Which cleaner (degreaser or all purpose cleaner) is more suitable to be used on the wheel, tyres, and wheel wells, and why is that?

I am not asking to use one product for all three surfaces, can be a combination, example degreaser for tyres, APC for wheel and wheel wells, or even a mix of degreaser and APC in a bottle.

If degreaser and all purpose cleaner are really not so effective as a wheel, tyres and wheel wells cleaner, do let me know too, although my options are limited.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which cleaner more suitable for wheel, tyres, and wheel wells, Degreaser or All Purpose Cleaner?

I think degreaser and all purpose cleaner are both alkaline in chemical property. Since brake dust is iron, it does not react with alkaline but easily react with acid, I am thinking I should find some acidic cleaner for wheel, but I have never come across acidic degreaser or acidic all purpose cleaner before.
    The only acidic cleaner I knew is Meguiar's Wheel Brightener but it is quite expensive here, not really keen to use it as a weekly product.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which cleaner more suitable for wheel, tyres, and wheel wells, Degreaser or All Purpose Cleaner?

I thought most APCs were degreasers.
    I could be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

OPC

Sent from my Alien ship

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dogfather View Post
    I could be wrong.
    Bingo. The terms are often interchangable. We certainly sell some degreasers as APCs and some APCs as degreasers. There are no real rules on what makes a degreaser and what makes and APC.

In terms of their chemistry, they will both tend to be alkaline but that does not mean that they will not work on wheels. Often the soiling on your wheels will be held in place by an oily film which will be dissolved by alkalinity (thus releasing much of the soil). It is also quite common that certain ingredients in alkaline products will behave exactly like Iron-X does (i.e. they 'grab' the iron and make it dissolve), just without the accompanying colour change.

If you want a product to be used for many jobs, you should pick something strongly alkaline but without caustics (sodium or potassium hydroxide).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dogfather View Post
    I could be wrong.
    If Wikipedia (cleaning agent) is accurate then I think there is a slight difference, i.e. degreaser is specifically made for removal of grease. Well the name of the product kind of implies it already so maybe this description is kind of trivial.
    Nevertheless, I am always think that both are similar but not identical. But I can't be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by PiPUK View Post
    Bingo. The terms are often interchangable. We certainly sell some degreasers as APCs and some APCs as degreasers. There are no real rules on what makes a degreaser and what makes and APC.

In terms of their chemistry, they will both tend to be alkaline but that does not mean that they will not work on wheels. Often the soiling on your wheels will be held in place by an oily film which will be dissolved by alkalinity (thus releasing much of the soil). It is also quite common that certain ingredients in alkaline products will behave exactly like Iron-X does (i.e. they 'grab' the iron and make it dissolve), just without the accompanying colour change.

If you want a product to be used for many jobs, you should pick something strongly alkaline but without caustics (sodium or potassium hydroxide).
    Hi there. That is something new to me, degreaser = APC.
    But usually degreaser is regarded as a stronger cleaner than APC, is it right to say so?
    On the Iron-X effect, I think you are right because I had tried several times where I sprayed some Sonax Full Effect on the wheel I just cleaned with my degreaser, and I observe no colo change, I can only conclude then my cleaning with degreaser on the wheel has sufficiently removes all the iron particles.
    No I am not purposely looking for a product that does every job. Of course if it can do well then I does not mind. But I anticipate that one kind of product more suitable for one kind of surface as all three I listed are different materials. So what would you recommend for wheel, tyres, and wheel wells?

I never think about the caustics aspect until you mention. The label on the product does not indicate it, is there a way I can know or test whether my degreaser and APC contains sodium or potassium hydroxide?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HD.Detailing View Post
    OPC

Sent from my Alien ship
    I have it. But it is sold quite expensive here so I not keen to use it on a weekly basic. I usually only use it when I encounter some really hard to clean grime.
    Thanks for the suggestion anyway. Indeed a lot of people use OPC for everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoutfai View Post
    I think degreaser and all purpose cleaner are both alkaline in chemical property. Since brake dust is iron, it does not react with alkaline but easily react with acid, I am thinking I should find some acidic cleaner for wheel, but I have never come across acidic degreaser or acidic all purpose cleaner before.
    The only acidic cleaner I knew is Meguiar's Wheel Brightener but it is quite expensive here, not really keen to use it as a weekly product.
    The problem with acidic cleaners is they can damage metal easily. Especially if they are just rinsed with water and not neutralized with a high ph. The acid can etch wheels.

The best wheel cleaner to tackle those problems is sonax wheel cleaner. Or iron x to dissolve brake dust....both are pricey.

Make sure you are using agitation and not just a cleaner. A brush, microfiber or whatever to loosen the grime. After adequate dwell time with wheel cleaner

Or coat your wheels to protect them. I have had great luck with DP wheel glaze.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toycar18 View Post
    The problem with acidic cleaners is they can damage metal easily. Especially if they are just rinsed with water and not neutralized with a high ph. The acid can etch wheels.

The best wheel cleaner to tackle those problems is sonax wheel cleaner. Or iron x to dissolve brake dust....both are pricey.

Make sure you are using agitation and not just a cleaner. A brush, microfiber or whatever to loosen the grime. After adequate dwell time with wheel cleaner

Or coat your wheels to protect them. I have had great luck with DP wheel glaze.
    Good point there toycar18 on the potential risk of acidic cleaner used on wheel.
    If you were only have degreaser and APC, which you will use on the wheel, tyres and wheel wells?

About the Sonax wheel cleaner and Iron X, it is not effective on cleaning tyres right?

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, can I have your opinion on this question?

(Is there a way I can tag Mike in this thread?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast