autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Sold all my polishes/pads. Starting Fresh. What's the latest n greatest?

I have a Flex 3401 with the standard 6" backing plate and a PC7424XP with a few different smaller backing plates.

I need all new pads and polishes. I don't want to make the same mistake and buy a million pads and polishes. I'm not a pro detailer but i do vehicles for family and friends here and there.

Do i want Microfiber? LC Hybrid Pads? I want to use a universal system with both polishers...

M101? Menz FQ400?

Basically i want one Serious compound, something in the middle, and one finishing polish.

Looking forward to the suggestions! Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sold all my polishes/pads. Starting Fresh. What's the latest n greatest?

I'd highly recommend the changeable backing plate system for your Flex, with LC 5.5" hybrid pads. Can't go wrong with this combination and Menz FG400, then 4000 / 4500 for awesome results.

Kind of depends on what you're working on but based on your information that's where I'd start! Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

if I had to start over again I would probably stay with 1 company-megs or wolfgang

Post Thanks / Like

I've asked the same question before and what always seems to come up as suggested is Menzerna FG400 with FG4000 or Meguiar's M105 with M205. Lake Country Pads in yellow, orange, and white. Black or blue if applying wax with machine. You can combo the yellow, orange, and white pads with the compound or polish to get varying levels of correction, or just a finishing polish step. If you need more cut than yellow pad and a compound produce, my understanding is that you would need to go to a wool pad.

Also, the Meguiar's microfiber correction system comes up frequently. Thats what I went with and am extrmely satified with the results of the 2 step process. I think it would be an excellent choice for someone doing personal family cars. If you can't correct paint with the D300 compound and mf cutting pad, it probably means the defects are too severe and you'd have to remove a lot of paint to get them out. I'd rather leave them be on family daily drivers if they're that bad. The results will still amaze.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, I've also decided to add some orange and white foam pads to my arsenal for use with cleaner wax. A one step cleaner wax is the ticket for making an amazing turnaround on a family member's daily driver in the shortest amount of time. A 2 step is nice, but just takes entirely too long to not be getting paid.

Post Thanks / Like

I went through the same process and am still working on it. I have a flex 3401 as well. The only pads I will buy now are the hybrid lake country. Nothing else is even close in my experience. I have tortured a light blue cutting pad on my boat and have not been able to hurt it. My other pads would have fallen apart early on and this one took the abuse and kept going. I switched over to Menzerna fg400 after trying megs 105, blackfire, wolfgang tsr and I also have uber. Uber is just as good but more money. I like megs 205 polish but am not replacing it as I am going all menzerna and get awesome results. I used meguiars and 3m for 15 years. I spent the last 3 years trying everything new I could get my hands on and now know what works best for me. I have used this combo on many different types of paint and never a problem. I think I have the best tool, pad, compound with the flex, hybrid pad, and fg400.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by john b View Post
    if I had to start over again I would probably stay with 1 company...
    ^^ me too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonS View Post
    I went through the same process and am still working on it. I have a flex 3401 as well. The only pads I will buy now are the hybrid lake country. Nothing else is even close in my experience. I have tortured a light blue cutting pad on my boat and have not been able to hurt it. My other pads would have fallen apart early on and this one took the abuse and kept going. I switched over to Menzerna fg400 after trying megs 105, blackfire, wolfgang tsr and I also have uber. Uber is just as good but more money. I like megs 205 polish but am not replacing it as I am going all menzerna and get awesome results. I used meguiars and 3m for 15 years. I spent the last 3 years trying everything new I could get my hands on and now know what works best for me. I have used this combo on many different types of paint and never a problem. I think I have the best tool, pad, compound with the flex, hybrid pad, and fg400.
    Good post and thanks for the info. Question...which hybrid pads do you think are mandotory? I ask because there are usually something like 6 options but only 2 or 3 are really mandatory to have.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sparkism13 View Post
    FWIW, I've also decided to add some orange and white foam pads to my arsenal for use with cleaner wax. A one step cleaner wax is the ticket for making an amazing turnaround on a family member's daily driver in the shortest amount of time. A 2 step is nice, but just takes entirely too long to not be getting paid.

Although I'm guilty of this more often than not. Over-delivering to family and best friends isn't a sin.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

Same thing with me Rez.

so here is what I bought

Meguiars
    M100
    M205
    D151
    Ultimate Paste Wax

Pads for my
    Rupes 21 6" bp,
    Harbor Freight 5" bp
    Porter Cable 3" bp

Meguiar's Microfiber cutting pad 3", 5", 6"
    Buff N Shine green foam polishing pad 3",5",6"
    Buff N shine orange medium cut pad 3", 5", 6"

I have Red waxing pads too.

So now I don't have to be going around searching through colors trying to remember what is what.

Trying to keep it simpler

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast