autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What to use after rotary buffing with 3m perfect it system??

Hey guys, i recently painted my pride and joy, a 1995 Nissan 240sx s14, I spent a lot of time on the body work to get it straight as an arrow! And sprayed it with high quality paint and clear, I painted it tri-stage black with a beautiful gold pearl. As you tell by now that I am looking for show room finish!! With t hat being said, I wet sanded with 1000, 1500, and 3000 grit. Then used my dewalt rotary a long with the 3m perfect it pads and compound and polishes. When I got Thur with that hard work it look absolutely amazing inside my garage. But when I finally pulled it out in the sun I was sort of disappoint with swirls, the swirls weren't heavy, just light swirls everywhere. So my question is what product do you suggest I use my porter cable da polisher to remove all the swirls?? I ask this because I have used a meguiars show room glaze, and just left nothing but dull haze, that I had to buff and polish off! Sorry for the novel, but this just shows how important the car is to me! Lol thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to use after rotary buffing with 3m perfect it system??

Some M205 should straighten it right out!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

so your saying i should use the meguiars m205 with the da polisher? if so, you dont think it would haze, due to the use of the 3m perfect it compound and polish used before hand. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

You have a lot of options to perfect your paint with a DA. Pictures would help the forum assess the severity of the swirls you're dealing with.

You can usually find Meguair's M105 and M205 over the counter at various auto parts stores. Depending on your pad arsenal, you may be able to correct your issues with a compound pad and M205. Or maybe a polishing pad with M205 depending on the softness of your clear coat.

Your best route is to test your paint with a test spot. After any straight polish such as M205 you'll want to strip the paint clean of any oils and apply a glaze, wax, sealant, or even a coating or some crazy combination of all those! Lol, please post some pics
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=71880&dateline=142020  6364

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the ignorance but, I'm not real sure how to upload a pic. I have a fews pics on my iPhone that shows the swirls that I'm talking about. Care to tell how you upload them.? I have like 7 different pads for the da polisher. When you say strip the paint, do mean use a specific product to clean the surface before the glaze, wax, and sealant. Also I can't help but to notice that your located in Memphis tn. Lol I am too. Thanks for input.

Post Thanks / Like

You've already started with the 3m perfect it system you might as well finish. Ultrafine machine polish and accompanying pad (#3 blue) is definitely the way to go. I work at a custom car shop and use the 3m perfect-it system on each and every car that comes through. On a fresh paint job you definitely don't want to seal or wax for at least a few months to let the clear coat breathe and set up properly and with 3m you don't even need it

Post Thanks / Like

Not mentioned in your post, and some might've forgot the common advice that you should wait to apply any waxes-sealants if the paint finish is less than 30 days old.

If you're seeing rotary trails (holograms) a DA with a fine finishing polish like Megs 205, and a soft finishing pad should take care of it lickety split.

Mike Phillips

What you want to do is re-polish the paint only instead of using a tool where the pad only rotates in a single direction you want to use a tool that oscillates the pad.

I call this,

Changing the action of the tool

This will remove the hologram scratch pattern left by the rotary.

For the most part any modern dual action polisher will work and any high quality medium to fine cut polish will level the paint.

To share a picture you can attach it or upload it to the gallery and then insert it. I do the later as it makes the pictures easier for everyone to see.

Congrats on the new paint job!