autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How do I remove Suction Cup Circles off Windshield

OK. I've tried a few different types of windshield cleaners and it still shows up on my windshield. Those ugly rings from suction cups that are used to hold things like my SunPass( Electronic Toll) on the inside pf my windshield. When I wipe it down with a cleaner, it disappears until the next morning or if there's any inner moisture, the ring shows back up until I get the defrosters running.

I've thought about using something like Bon-Ami cleanser but worry about scratching the inner covering of the glass.

Any advice? Am I stuck with these rings?

Thanks
    JTMcD.
    We sleep Peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm............George Orwell

Post Thanks / Like
    You could try rubbing alcohol though if it is not tinted then you could try claying or even compound or polish

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do I remove Suction Cup Circles off Windshield

Thanks. I'll pick up some clay next time I'm out and try that. The window itself isn't tinted but it is close to a tint strip I had installed years ago to recreate the old visor tint that used to come on vehicles back in the day.
    JTMcD.
    We sleep Peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm............George Orwell

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave

Black is not a color, it's a part time job!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcD348 View Post
    Thanks. I'll pick up some clay next time I'm out and try that. The window itself isn't tinted but it is close to a tint strip I had installed years ago to recreate the old visor tint that used to come on vehicles back in the day.
    a picture would help. if its on the inside, it could simply be something left over from the suction cup like the oils and such from the rubber. also, if its a newer vehicle the front windshields can come with tint on them. so you have to be careful when applying some glass restorer products (not sure if its a normal film or not, but i have seen it done plenty. and the difference between through the window and outside have different lighting).

i would start with something simple like a solution of 5-10% ipa and distilled water, followed by some vinegar to remove whatever oils and minerals might be on it.

i wouldn't recommend putting any kind of glass sealant or anything on the inside, people have reported having issues with bad fogging when using certain product on the inside portion of the glass.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm by no means an expert, but I have this problem a lot from my radar detector mount. They call it a "sticky cup" and it leaves a nasty residue. I've had good luck getting it cleaned off before a show with Invisible Glass, a terry cloth towel, and elbow grease. I haven't had a problem with it showing back up. Good luck!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I may have been able to get it off with alcohol pads. I had a couple in my pocket(I'm a Nurse) and tried them and rubbed it on the area that the cup marks appear. This evening when I got in to leave for work, there was a slight haze on the glass, but, I didn't notice the cup marks.

I thought about them since my wife buys those glasses cleaner packets that are nothing more than wet naps with 80% isopropyl.

I let everyone know if it worked or not later when there's more of the "fog" on the inside window. Tonight, it was faint. I live in Central Florida so the humidity is pretty high this week.
    JTMcD.

Post Thanks / Like
    I swear by invisible glass for interior and glass clay for outside!

Hoe this helps,

Ronan