autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

XMT Glaze & Blackfire Sealant

Hi All,

I purchased some products last week in order to do my wife black Jetta. I purchased the Meg twins, PO85RD, XMT glaze, Blackfire Wet Diamond paint sealant and Collinite 845.

The car is a 2012 black Jetta, who's paint has been really neglected and has lots of swirls and scratches. I was planning on using the XMT glaze after PO85RD and follow up with the Blackfire sealant. However, after more reading of the forums and not realizing that the glaze contains carnauba, i realized that I can not top the XMT glaze with the sealant. I think I really need to use the glaze because I don't believe I will be able to get all the scratches out. I did the whole car with 105 compound today with the Griots da and plant to finish up the rest tomorrow. There are still scratches and swirls in the car. I spent the whole day doing one pass of the M105 (I don't know how you guys do all steps in one day). The M105, dries really quickly, after a couple of passes it begins to dry up. I started using a spray bottler to spritz some water, which helped a little, I wasn't able to get all the scratches out with just the M105. Should I do a second pass with the M105?

Ok, getting back to my actual question, can I use the sealant after the PO85RD and then glaze over the sealant and top with the 845? Will the glaze hide minor scratches after the sealant has been applied? What will be the longevity of the glaze/845 over the sealant?

I've attached a few pictures of the paint after washing and then a couple after one pass of 105. What do you guys think? Second pass with M105?

Thanks for the help.

Before

Hood

Roof

Trunk

After M105

Roof

Trunk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: XMT Glaze & Blackfire Sealant

What pads did you use? Too help keep the 105 from drying out you could prime your pad with d300 or m205. The spritzing of water usually helps though, so it's good you were doing that.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I used a LC flat orange 5.5 pad. I don't have a yellow, maybe I should have ordered one.

Post Thanks / Like

Give to surbuf pads a shot. They cut very well when used on the GG da and finish down pretty good. But on black, I would still follow up with your Menz polish and a white/gray pad. (or whatever polish/finish pad you have)

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll say it now and I've said it before and I'm positive I'll be posting this more but just got right to a microfiber cutting pad on newer vw if you are having trouble. The meguiars cutting mf pads will finish very well on their own and then you can switch to foam to finish polish if you like.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions guys. However I don't have any additional products or pads and I need to finish up today as my wife needs the car for work. Do you think a second pass with M105 will help or will it be a waste of time?

Also any comments on the glaze question?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dragoncub View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. However I don't have any additional products or pads and I need to finish up today as my wife needs the car for work. Do you think a second pass with M105 will help or will it be a waste of time?

Also any comments on the glaze question?
    BFWD should be your last step unless you top it with something like BF Crystal Seal or a wax.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't have any other pads, go ahead and hit it again with the m105. Shrink your area to 1'x1 using very slow arm speed and firm downward pressure. Also try priming your pad with your m205 to help with the dusting of m105. Really concentrate on your technique and take your time as black won't forgive any mistakes. Then apply the bfwd and enjoy. I wouldn't even worry about using the xmt glaze on it. If you want a nice glaze that works well with bfwd, BF has one called Gloss Enhacing Polish and is much nicer than the xmt.

Regular Member Extreme Radiance's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You should expect some lite marring left by m105. Follow up with m205 on a white pad. Prime the pad and use firm pressure on speed 5 or 6.
    Use slow arm speed.
    Extreme Radiance Detailing

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggests. I went ahead and followed up with M205, PO85RD and BlackFire. I used the white pad with the M205 on 6 with firm pressure and that did help. Below are some pics. As you can see, its not perfect, there are still some swirls, I can live with this for now as it is a daily driver. It is a vast improvement than before and not bad for my first try.

Hood close up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast