autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How often can you detail?

So I watched a bunch of your videos, bought a Porter Cable 7424 and $400.00+ worth of Wolfgang products from Autogeek.net and spent over 8 hours detailing the heck out of our 2013 Corvette Coupe. It turned out amazing! Absolutely gorgeous! Thank you so much for your fantastic tutorial videos!

Here is the "problem". I received a letter from the dealer telling me to take the Vette in for a full blown professional detail job inside and out, and send them the bill as a thank you for buying the car from them. Way Cool! But I only have 30 days to get the detailing done.

I just detailed it less than a week ago. How often can you detail a car? Can you overdo it? Will it hurt the finish? I don't want to miss out on a professional detail job but I don't want to hurt the car either. And since this is the first time I have detailed a car I am sure it can be done better.

So I am hoping you can guide me on this. Should I get the professional detail job this soon after I detailed the car? Thanks in advance for your sage advice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Find a great detailer and go for it, get a coating too! I assume you wont have the dealer do it!?

Sent from my Alien ship

Regular Member Extreme Radiance's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    No way would I allow a dealership detail my vette. How much time do you think it will take you to restore the car to its current state after the dealer does their magic? Proceed at your own risk.
    Extreme Radiance Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How often can you detail?

It won't hurt to detail your car again. However, from this picture, it's not looking like it needs it.

Have you seen this recent thread?
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ional-job.html

Be aware of 'professionals' since there are professionals and professionals... You will be risking to get your car hammered by someone lack of ability and will have to re-polish it over again for the third time, in a month?

Have you inspected the paint thoroughly with a swirl finder light and even under the sun?

I've placed some tips regarding this inspection at this thread:
    New Member; Need Advice on Treating BRAND new Paint

If I were you, I'd pass the 'opportunity' to have the car beaten by some hack job.

If you have availability, go to the place where it'll be 'professionally' detailed and see what they are offering, what are the methods, tools, products, and who will perform the job.

After meeting the professional detailer and his studio, you may decide if it worth the risk.

I'm also sure you can make it better if you try it again in some time.

It's great to remember, the cheap can go expensive in the long run...

Beware.

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the fast replies! And no, any detail job would NOT be done by the dealer. They said I can pick whoever I want to do the job should I proceed. There are several local detailers that are highly recommended on the local forums. I would check these guys out first.

And Tato - I do not have a swirl finder but in the sun the paint looks pretty good but I can pick out a few swirls. And thanks for the additional links.

Thanks again. I think I will check out the detailers recommended on the local forums and see what they have to offer.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO if your car looks good and you are happy with it - you'd have to be crazy to let some unknown entity mess with it. That could be the worse $400 you never spent.

Print up some some bill & mail them receipts for the stuff you bought from AG.

Search on this forum for horror stories & proceed at your own risk.

Post Thanks / Like

How about working with the detailer to get some kind of receipt showing a detail package so you can get reimbursed by the dealership?

But really get a gift card / voucher for that value? Maybe use it on a daily driver / family member's car?
    '06 Audi A4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Inspector View Post

So I watched a bunch of your videos, bought a Porter Cable 7424 and $400.00+ worth of Wolfgang products from Autogeek.net and spent over 8 hours detailing the heck out of our 2013 Corvette Coupe. It turned out amazing! Absolutely gorgeous! Thank you so much for your fantastic tutorial videos!

Here is the "problem". I received a letter from the dealer telling me to take the Vette in for a full blown professional detail job inside and out, and send them the bill as a thank you for buying the car from them. Way Cool! But I only have 30 days to get the detailing done.

I just detailed it less than a week ago. How often can you detail a car? Can you overdo it? Will it hurt the finish? I don't want to miss out on a professional detail job but I don't want to hurt the car either. And since this is the first time I have detailed a car I am sure it can be done better.

So I am hoping you can guide me on this. Should I get the professional detail job this soon after I detailed the car? Thanks in advance for your sage advice!

imho your best bet is going to be finding a very good, reputable detailer, who offers long term coatings like c-quartz. since the dealer is footing the bill. make sure you see what work the guy does, bring a good inspection light with you if you have to. check his work, and ensure he isn't going to seal in swirls or holograms in your paint.

make sure he understands you went over and corrected most of the car and what you did beforehand and he should understand that you want to basically jewel it and put a long term good coating on.

no harm in doing a very very light polish to remove any layers of wax/sealant you did put on to prepare it for a better coating though. as long as he knows what hes doing you'll be fine. just do your homework and check the guy out first.

Post Thanks / Like

I would not shy away from this offer, and here is why:

1. The dealer obviously values you as a customer, so take their offer
    2. As stated above, do some research on the detailer. Ask for references, and also look for a coating that you would like to have. Most reputable detailers, not all, are on those coating sites as preferred installers
    3. Get the interior protected as well.

I think with some research, you could get a phenomenal detail performed on your car that would knock your socks off and the dealer feels like they have kept a customer happy.

HUMP