autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Dr color chip

Post Thanks / Like

Dr color chip

My car is estoril blue II color.
    I have some rock chips about 1-2mm circle size. U can see the metal on the hood and the black plastic on the bumper. I just ordered the touch up paint from them.

Any use them before? Color match is noticable or blends in?
    Should i keep apply the paint every 5-10 minutes until the chip is flush and then Use sealact to wipe off excess? Or paint the chip and then sealact and then paint again and seal act?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dr color chip

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_335i View Post
    My car is estoril blue II color.
    I have some rock chips about 1-2mm circle size. U can see the metal on the hood and the black plastic on the bumper. I just ordered the touch up paint from them.

Any use them before? Color match is noticable or blends in?
    Should i keep apply the paint every 5-10 minutes until the chip is flush and then Use sealact to wipe off excess? Or paint the chip and then sealact and then paint again and seal act?
    I reckon you could try either of the methods you mention, and see which method works best for you?

I used the latter method you mention, apply, sealact, and repeat if the chip wasn't leveled.

That you might note that with repeat coats, and a subsequently longer drying time then, you might find yourself working harder with the Sealact Solution to remove excess paint around the chip, and level-smooth the paint.

The Dr C Chip paint does set up and dry very quickly, it is not like any factory, or duplicolor product you ever used.

No harm or foul either way, if you mess up, the Sealact in any instance can come back along, and remove your mistake without harming your factory paint finish. It's just that the longer it sits (like hours) the harder it will be to remove, and you'll need to use more elbow grease, and precious Sealact Solution.

Hope this helps, Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Color matching wasn't as close as I hoped for my Cadillac, but they made me acknowledge that it wouldn't be, because it has a tri - coat paint job.

I let it dry for a minute or 2 before applying 2/3/4 layers to fill deep holes. Would make it hard enough not to get wiped away by the solution.

Post Thanks / Like

In my case on a dark red Tacoma, the paint match is perfect. So perfect, in fact, that from a couple feet away you can't even see the blob from where I chickened out with the wet sanding.

Highly recommend the Dr. Very easy to use.
    Mike at www.GreatReflections.biz
    Vancouver, WA's convenient Mobile Detailer comes to you!