autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old Wax Emergency

Am I the only one scratching my head here thinking why are you waxing a matte car?? Are you even using a wax specifically for matte finishes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
    Am I the only one scratching my head here thinking why are you waxing a matte car?? Are you even using a wax specifically for matte finishes?
    There are lots of head scratching things going on in this thread. I wouldn't condone waxing a matte vehicle, but it's already on the car.

The fact that it's a ferrari is my biggest head scratcher. I don't think you should be working on a Ferrari and asking "is an APC and a Quick Detailer the same thing"

Also, why is the owner of a Ferrari at a car wash?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ge234 View Post
    can i assume an all-purpose cleaner and a quick-detail spray are the same thing?
    No.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cshamilton View Post
    There are lots of head scratching things going on in this thread. I wouldn't condone waxing a matte vehicle, but it's already on the car.

The fact that it's a ferrari is my biggest head scratcher. I don't think you should be working on a Ferrari and asking "is an APC and a Quick Detailer the same thing"

Also, why is the owner of a Ferrari at a car wash?

I also don't understand the comment about charging this particular customer a premium due to the customer owning premium vehicles. My services are priced the same whether you bring me a Contour or a Corvette. They go up based on the condition of the vehicle, not the class of vehicle. I could see having a higher pricing schedule if your business model focuses on higher end vehicles, but, if you primarily detail blue collar vehicles and you suddenly have a crack at the upper crust that doesn't mean you jack your pricing. Given all of the other head scratching statements made by the OP in this thread, it has the makings of a detailing newbie who sees easy money in higher end but is not taking the time to research product applications and build skill set to meet said market.

JMO, of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 95oRANGEcRUSH View Post

I also don't understand the comment about charging this particular customer a premium due to the customer owning premium vehicles. My services are priced the same whether you bring me a Contour or a Corvette. They go up based on the condition of the vehicle, not the class of vehicle. I could see having a higher pricing schedule if your business model focuses on higher end vehicles, but, if you primarily detail blue collar vehicles and you suddenly have a crack at the upper crust that doesn't mean you jack your pricing. Given all of the other head scratching statements made by the OP in this thread, it has the makings of a detailing newbie who sees easy money in higher end but is not taking the time to research product applications and build skill set to meet said market.

JMO, of course.
    I like your thought process. You're going to do well (if you already haven't)
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like
    can i assume an all-purpose cleaner and a quick-detail spray are the same thing?

Not for anything but you're assuming two different products with two different intended purposes are the same yet you want to charge this guy a premium bc he has nice cars? How great of a customer is someone who went to you once and is now at a car wash? I don't quite understand this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not trying to be rude or anything like that, but why are you detailing cars without proper knowledge. Even I knew what a quick detailer was VS APC, long before I ever touched another persons car. Others have also aired a few concerns. I think you really need to rethink your business before it costs you dearly, especially on a car like your dealing with.
    "The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo
    "Like" us Facebook.com/AlchemyAutoDetail

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to be questioning your business but your questions seem to be pretty elementary for someone in the detailing biz

Post Thanks / Like

i'll first wash the area where the wax is hardened. then apply some of the same wax over the hardened wax to hopefully moisten and loosen it up. i'll let it sit for a few minutes prior to rubbing it off. hopefully this works. i'll have to be extra careful with matte finishes moving forward...they are difficult. and considering this is a ferrari i will take even more caution.
    If I may, let me offer a bit of advice that I have seen. Treat every car you detail like it is a Ferrari. A lot of times, people with exotic cars make you "try-out" on one of their daily drivers (which could still be a six-figure sedan or SUV) before you get to touch their queens. I have seen it done countless times, especially when someone is trying to find someone to maintain their fleet.

By showing the same attitude and determination, not to mention attention to detail, with the "cheap" cars as you do with the exotics, you will instill trust in the client. It doesn't matter that you're new and don't have much experience, as experience will come with time, but you must make sure that you take the utmost care with everything you do with every facet of the detail.

Don't beat yourself up that you missed the wax, as everyone makes mistakes, but make sure that you remedy the situation. Part of that comes with client education, letting him know the proper upkeep and how if you do a correction and then take the car to the car wash, it may undo all the work you did and put swirls and scratches back into the paint. I don't detail professionally but even when I help out a friend or neighbor, I make sure to explain to them why I am doing what I'm doing and how to keep it that way. It's one thing to tell someone that there are above surface bonded contaminants in the paint that can be removed with a clay bar, and a totally different thing to show them all the contaminants in the clay. I remember showing a friend after claying a small area and he was blown away that all that was stuck to the paint. Doing things like that is how you show your customer service - by going above and beyond.

The biggest thing, as I've said, is treating every car like it is a 1/1. I wash my dad's Aston Martin like I do my neighbor's daily driver - because when I do something, it's the right way or I don't do it at all. I have plenty of people drive by and ask if they can pay for me to wash or detail they vehicle, and I have to decline because I know that I don't have the time and would cut corners. When you show that attention to detail, that's how you retain customers and get referrals. Happy detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

^great advice there.

OP- by being new and taking on a Ferrari, it shows you have confidence in your abilities which is admiral. Right now, now way I would accept a Ferrari (especially one with matte paint) just because I wouldn't be comfortable with it. Remember to stay humble, maintain confidence, and don't get cocky! Mistakes happen! Learn something from every detail you do!
    2012 Toyota Camry SE | 2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast