autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pin Stripe Tape

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pin Stripe Tape

Working on a Black 1991 Toyota MR2. I'm going to do a scratch/swirl/polish but first I used a rubber eraser wheel to take off what I think is a factory original pin stripe. In places it came off completely but in other areas left a bit of adhesive.

I tried an over the counter product with no results, then a 3M adhesive remover still with no results. The Carbo polish says it will remove scrathes up to 1200 so I'm thinking it will take the adhesive off, I'm also considering using 2000 sand paper and wet sand it off and then polish. I've also heard about EasyOff and am thinking of trying that also.

Can anyone offer some suggestions ? Thanks, FredH

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pin Stripe Tape

3m makes an adhesive remover you attach to a drill.. works great.

looks like AG sells it
    3M Stripe Off Wheel 07498, pinstripe tape removal

Post Thanks / Like

Heat Gun & Adhesive Remover

I WOULD NOT spray Easy Off on your pant

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just polish it off durning the compounding process. Mechanical removal with abrasives is the only way it's coming off. I had a similar issue on my 88' 4runner. And polishing removed all of it.

Sent from my HTC One using AG Online

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I did use a wheel to erase, just not the 3M brand. It worked great on all but some of the adhesive.

I had signage painted on a van years ago and when I sold it the dealer used EasyOff to remove it. I had painted it with acrylic enamel before the signage & there was no damage. But now days, who knows.

Looks like polishing process is the best bet. Thanks.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by conquistador View Post

Just polish it off during the compounding process.

Mechanical removal with abrasives is the only way it's coming off. I

Correct.

Anytime you have some leftover adhesive residue on the paint that won't come off with a liquid solvent, the next best SAFEST way to remove the residual residues is to simply rub them off by hand using a compound or polish that is safe to use by hand.

I recently removed some vinyl lettering with a heat gun and the removed the remaining adhesive residue using Stoner's Xenit which is a citric based solvent.

Even after the Stoner's remove most of the adhesive I still rubbed the area by hand using some Wolfgang Uber Compound to clean it up 100%.

Flex + Rupes vs Ceramiclear Paint - How to detail a Mercedes-Benz SL 550

Carefully removing the vinyl letters using a Heat Gun...

I just used my thumbnail to carefully scrape the softened letters off the paint and then wiped the area down using Xenit by Stoner's to remove the sticky residue.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the key word is "by hand" because it's easy to get caught up in focusing on the adhesive removal with a DA and forget that as you're fighting with the adhesive removal, you're also removing clear coat all around the pin striped area and it's not hard at all to cut through the clear when concentrating in small areas attempting to remove stubborn adhesive.

I have to wonder why the 3M adhesive remover isn't working for some of the adhesive when it worked for the rest of it.

Either there's a really thick build up of adhesive that could be removed with the edge of a grocery store bonus club card or a plastic razor blade first before using the 3M adhesive remover, or you're allowing your towel to become clogged up with removed adhesive, rendering it less effective at removal.

Or if you're like me...you're thinking of an easier way because your fingers are getting all cramped up from all the rubbing.

You always need to move your towel for a clean spot over your fingers every few inches as you remove dissolved adhesive.
    Just as a buffing pad will become much less effective at cutting when it becomes clogged up with spent product/abraded off paint, the adhesive removing towel will get clogged up with adhesive at a much faster rate, rendering that spot of the towel useless. You must constantly move your finger to a fresh, clean area of the towel as you remove adhesive.

Just some thoughts based on my own experience with pin stripe and adhesive removal.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Again, thanks for the replies. I should clarify, some of the tape came off leaving no adhesive residue while other parts left the adhesive. The 3M didn't remove any adhesive at all.
    Fred

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by FredH View Post
    Again, thanks for the replies. I should clarify, some of the tape came off leaving no adhesive residue while other parts left the adhesive. The 3M didn't remove any adhesive at all.
    Fred

My experience is most compounds or polishes, when rubbed against this leftover residue will abrade it off, loosen it off and mix with it enough to dissolve it off.

That plus your fingers pushing some type of towel or applicator over it to agitate.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pin Stripe Update: Crap !

Polished today with Porter Cable, Orange Lake pad, and Carbondum compound. 24 year old paint looks pretty good, given there is a number of defects that polishing won't help.

At to the pin stripe adhesive it looks the same now as when I erased the tape to begin with. The polished did nothing to remove the leftover adhesive, and I'm concerned about doing more.

Guess I'll be buying new pin stripe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast