autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Kappy

Pinnacle Glassworks versus DP Glass Restorer

Mike:

I recently watched product demo videos that you've done for both Pinnacle Glassworks and DP Glass Restorer. They seem to be similar products that accomplish the same thing, and the only difference I could see in the videos was your choice of pad.

Do you have a preference, or could either be used in most situations?

After using the foam pads with either product, once they're cleaned, are the pads still useable for other purposes?

And, if polishing all the windows in a vehicle, should you clean the pads on the fly as you would when polishing paint?

Thanks.

Kappy

Re: Pinnacle Glassworks versus DP Glass Restorer

Has anyone else used both products, and can offer a comparison, or answer the other questions?

Thanks.

Mike Phillips

Hi Ron,

Thank you for sending me a PM to let me know this thread was hanging out here...

To answer your question, "yes" I've been extremely busy working on a hot project not only today but all week. Kind cuts down my forum time answering customer questions but they are all important and for anyone reading this into the future while I prefer to type/answer questions on the "pubic side" of the forum I never mind someone sending me a PM with a link to their questions if you find I haven't found it already and then posted to it.

So thank you for the PM bringing this thread to my attention.

Now to your questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Kappy View Post

Mike:

I recently watched product demo videos that you've done for both Pinnacle Glassworks and DP Glass Restorer.

They seem to be similar products that accomplish the same thing, and the only difference I could see in the videos was your choice of pad.

Do you have a preference, or could either be used in most situations?
    Either can be used. Of hand I'm not sure of the formula differences but whatever the differences, they both do the same job and that is to,

Remove topical defects like water spots and road film

I point this out as it's very important not to purchase either of these product to try to remove below surface defects like scratches or pits in glass.

After using the foam pads with either product, once they're cleaned, are the pads still usable for other purposes?
    No. You should dedicated these pads for glass polishing only. The abrasives used in glass polishes are not normally safe for scratch-sensitive paint and should you not be able to wash 100% of the glass polish out of the pads you might risk scratching paint if used for buffing body panels.

And, if polishing all the windows in a vehicle, should you clean the pads on the fly as you would when polishing paint?

Thanks.

Definitely "yes".

Anytime you're machine buffing "something" you're going to have at a minimum a build-up of residues from the product itself building-up on the face of the pad.

In the case of water spots and road film on glass, you will be removing these contaminants off the glass and some will reside in a film on the glass that you will wipe or wash off and some will mix with the residue and build up on the face of the pad.

Just by coincidence I was machine buffing glass using Pinnacle Water Spot Remover for this hot project. I did it outside, I taped-off the perimeter of the windows with painter's tape to protect the rubber or fuzzy/felt gaskets that surround the perimeter of most windows and then after buffing the glass I removed the tape, wiped most of the residue off and then wash the windows. After washing all the potentially abrasive to paint polish residue off the glass I then wash the vehicle as normal, that is starting from the top and working down.

I had already washed the wheels and tires first.

Great questions... thank you for your patience...

Kappy

Thanks for the info.

Mike Phillips

Thanks for the info.

No problemo....

That's what we're here for.... info....