autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Hand polish

Post Thanks / Like

Hand polish

I would love be able to take out a swirl by hand. I have tried wit h absolutely no success. I don't know how much pressure to use. I'm afraid to rub through. The swirl marks are always still there. I have a flex that I love dearly however why can't I take out a single swirl. Help me if you can. I normally use Meg's UC/ m205. I'm scared to put to much pressure and does not work for me. I hear of folks hand polishing entire vehicles and I can't polish a 6" area. Pitiful !!!

Mike Phillips

Re: Hand polish

I show guys how to work by hand all the time.

First you MUST have a compound or polish that uses the best in abrasive technology. Without this you'll leave scratches in the paint.

Use some type of "fiber" for an applicator for deep scratches. Like a MicroFIBER applicator pad. The fibers will act as a form of gentle abrasive to work with your compound or polish.

If the scratches are shallow, or the paint soft, then stick with foam applicators.

If you start with a fiber applicator pad, re-polish using a foam pad to remove the scratches the fiber pad leaves behind. (it's an art form)

Rub hard. Rub fast. Only work a small area. Rub the small area about 8" to 12" squarish or so for 1-2 minutes. Then wipe off and inspect.

In my life, I have found showing people how to REALLY work by hand to remove swirls and scratches out of modern clearcoats to be the best way to sell them on getting a machine.

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to do, but with some patience you can get a decent improvement.

I used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and an orange foam hand applicator which has a decent cut to it.
    Here is the before. The whole car is like this because it has been through many auto car washes.

Now, after 3 passes of Ultimate Compound, I'd say it's a pretty decent improvement. Obviously no where near perfect or the level that a machine could achieve, but I'd still say impressive.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SYMAWD View Post
    It's hard to do, but with some patience you can get a decent improvement.

I used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and an orange foam hand applicator which has a decent cut to it.
    Here is the before. The whole car is like this because it has been through many auto car washes.

Now, after 3 passes of Ultimate Compound, I'd say it's a pretty decent improvement. Obviously no where near perfect or the level that a machine could achieve, but I'd still say impressive.

Did you do that section just for fun, or did you actually polish out the entire car by hand?

Post Thanks / Like

Y'all have answered my problem. I have the pocket pal with white and red foam pads. I HAVE NEVER PRESSED HARD AND FAST FOR 2 MINUTES. ALSO MY 2010 Camaro seems to have a hard clear coat.

Can't wait to try it again ,,, can't try today because it's snowing !!!!
    65yrs old and this is my 4th time to see snow in my life in south Louisiana.

Post Thanks / Like

On this subject, how does everyone feel about KAIO for very, very minor swirls? (Not nearly as pronounced as SYMAWD's car wash-induced blemishes. Nice job, BTW man.) And, would you recommend their sealant glaze to top it off, or just a good wax? Both?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Did you do that section just for fun, or did you actually polish out the entire car by hand?
    Just for fun. That section only probably took a little over 5 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried in my wife's car not long ago. Really an awful job with poor results. Used a polishing applicator with CG V36. I dont think I will ever do it again....unless in the short time I wont.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I tried in my wife's car not long ago. Really an awful job with poor results. Used a polishing applicator with CG V36. I dont think I will ever do it again....unless in the short time I wont.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    V36 is a pretty light polish though, but no matter the cut, it's not fun.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Epkmvuoq View Post

Y'all have answered my problem.

I have the pocket pal with white and red foam pads.

I HAVE NEVER PRESSED HARD AND FAST FOR 2 MINUTES.

ALSO MY 2010 Camaro seems to have a hard clear coat.

Like I mentioned, I use to teach hand polishing for years.... and every time I would show what it takes to remove swirls and scratches out of a clearcoat finish the only comment I would hear would go like this....

That's not how I was doing it"

And in context, what they meant was when they worked by hand they were not getting anywhere. Then when they watched how fast I moved my hand and how hard I pressed down, they would realize the reason they were not getting good results was because compared to how I showed them, that's now how they were doing it.

Removing swirls and scratches out of a clearcoat paint means REMOVING PAINT. You must remove enough paint to level the surface and because most clearcoats are hard or at least hard compared to lacquer paints, the only way to do it is to,

Work a small area
    Move your hand at light speed
    Apply firm downward pressure to force the abrasives to take bites out of the paint

Here's the only picture I have that kind of gives you an idea of speed but not pressure but I was in fact pressing hard. Also note I'm using a cloth microfiber applicator pad like we sell on the AG Store to remove #3000 Unigrit sanding marks.

The above pictures and lot more information can be found in my article here,

The Rule of Thumb