autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Response I got from a detailer

So I contacted a detail shop who also does PPF installs. As part of the install process he includes a paint prep with a finishing polish before the PPF and then applies GTechniq on top. He is an authorized installer for Gtechniq, only one in the area.

I mentioned to him that the car would be detailed prior to getting there but that a cleanup would be good. I then mentioned that I would prefer to go with OptiCoat or CQuartz vs GTechniq to which he replied he refused to touch any vehicle that had either product applied as they were permanent coatings and would eventually flake off. I found his comment a bit confusing and contradictory to begin with, but also it was the first I'd heard of these flaking. Quick search didn't reveal anything like that. I have a feeling he is talking out his on this point and given his condisending attitude I will be passing on his business, but wanted to see if there is truth to his claims.
    Last edited by Nick McKees37; 01-20-2014 at 05:04 PM. Reason: inappropriate language

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Response I got from a detailer

Quote Originally Posted by njarmstrong81 View Post
    So I contacted a detail shop who also does PPF installs. As part of the install process he includes a paint prep with a finishing polish before the PPF and then applies GTechniq on top. He is an authorized installer for Gtechniq, only one in the area.

I mentioned to him that the car would be detailed prior to getting there but that a cleanup would be good. I then mentioned that I would prefer to go with OptiCoat or CQuartz vs GTechniq to which he replied he refused to touch any vehicle that had either product applied as they were permanent coatings and would eventually flake off. I found his comment a bit confusing and contradictory to begin with, but also it was the first I'd heard of these flaking. Quick search didn't reveal anything like that. I have a feeling he is talking out his on this point and given his condisending attitude I will be passing on his business, but wanted to see if there is truth to his claims.
    IMO...
    There appears to be truth to your claims.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    Propaganda.

This is true as well:
    Last edited by Nick McKees37; 01-20-2014 at 04:40 PM. Reason: edited for content - picture was inappropriate

Post Thanks / Like
    No I have opti coat on our escape it works well no flaking no seperation from the paint

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    IMO...
    There appears to be truth to your claims.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Well... calling a gtechniq authorized detailer and saying you dont want that but for him to instead apply opti coat or cquartz may have done it.

Like me asking chemical guys to detail my car with only meguiars products.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like this detailer may be a flake himself. But bear in mind, he installs only one type of coating and that coating was not the want you mentioned. So he may have definitely gotten upset.

That being said, "talking out of one's " definitely isn't the method to solving the problem. Looks to me he lost a fantastic opportunity to convince you to install Gtechniq and perform the PPF job. Instead he lost the job all together.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Please remember forum rules before posting. I shouldn't have to edit two posts in the same thread. Inappropriate language and vulgar images are not allowed.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Seriously, "flaking"?

Me thinks that particular detailer is 'flaking' or is that 'flakey' or maybe even 'snake-E'.

You'll find that more and more these days a detailer that calls himself 'high-end' tends to be somewhat opinionated and will work towards denigrating others that either don't follow, and soak up his dribble, or just catch him talking out of his arse and have the wherewithal to call him on it. Rather than try to LEARN the correct way to do something, or learn a new product, they'll outright lie, (about other products or other people). Whatever suits the need at the time.

Which quite honestly is a bit strange for the field itself, being as detailing is one of the most relaxing things that a man has ever been able to do. Sure doing it for money puts more stress on it, but running off your prospective customers just because you choose to be hard to get along with, or throw your competition under the bus, or just plain old think your toots don't stink isn't exactly the way to 'find your inner zen'.

Word of mouth can hopefully find you another installer that you can live with and trust. Remember, he with the fanciest web designer does not the best detailer make.

Post Thanks / Like

The "Flaking" comment definitely is cause for concern. Opti-coat will not flake off or wear off if properly installed. And Cquartz will eventually wear off (years down the road). Both products are high quality products and as many can attest to work amazing.

You made the right choice by going with someone else. It may very well have been that because he's an authorized installer for GTechnique and he may not be for opti-coat or cquartz he simply did not want to use those products. Which he should have simply stated not tried to discredit 2 very worthy products that are on the market and have 1,000's of happy customers.

FYI - Opti-coat can go under and on top of ppf. It will not create issues with adhesion of ppf and will help protect the ppf from etching caused by bugs, bird droppings, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast