autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Backing Plate Extension for use with Rotary Buffer

Backing Plate Extension for use with Rotary Buffer

I use backing plate extension all the time when using a rotary buffer with smaller buffing pads to buff thin panels, small components or get in and around intricate areas.

Backing Plate Extension

Same as the Optimum Double-Sided Rotary Adapter,

Optimum Double-Sided Rotary Adapter

Note: There are no extensions for dual action polishers of any type. This question gets asked all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Backing Plate Extension for use with Rotary Buffer

Wonder why no extensions for DA's. Do you think it's because of the way it orbits?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes flash, the ergonomics and balance of the machine get thrown off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Wonder why no extensions for DA's. Do you think it's because of the way it orbits?
    A guy on here tried it. I think his BP blew up. I think he used a rotary extension with a DA adapter on each end or something similar. I'm guessing it's like "you can only build a building so tall before forces will topple it down".

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...le-7424-a.html

I think you comment on building it too tall is right on the money. I believe it will work with a lower profile backing plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, okay!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

The further the backing plate and pad, which are "mass" is from the spindle, the more wild or exaggerated the mass will become.

This will wear out the bearings that hold the spindle in place as well as the spindle itself.

It will increase any previous vibrations and in all likelihood make the tool unwieldy. (look that word up).

The above would mostly apply to normal size buffing pads, 5.5", 6.5" and 7" pads.

The smaller the pad diameter and the lower the mass of everything bolted to the spindle and the less problems you would encounter.

Besides all that, it's just the wrong too and idea for what a person is trying to do.

If you need to remove defects out of tight, intricate areas or buff out thin panels, get a Flex PE14 or a DeWALT 849X

Backing Plate Extensions
    Another trend I see for the future is the use of what is currently sold as an adapter only used as an extension for locating the face of your buffing pad further away from the body of your rotary buffer.

This serves at least two functions:
    1. Places the buffing pad further away from the body of the buffer so you can more easily SEE the buffing pad as you're buffing. This is important because it helps you to avoid making mistakes when using a powerful tool like the rotary buffer.

2. By moving the buffing pad away from the body of the tool this enables you in some applications, to more easily buff thin panels, small sections of paint or tight, hard to buff areas.

3. Works great to extend the buffing pad away from the body of the tool which makes cleaning your pad easier and more effective when using a pad washer as the body of the tool is out of the way.

Extensions for Pad Cleaning
    When using the Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer part of the cleaning action comes from pumping the buffing pad up and down against the Grit Guard Insert. When you do this without an extension you don't have much of a throw because the body of the rotary buffer will hit the splatter lid on the pad washer.

When you add an extension to the spindle you gain about 2 extra inches of travel which makes it easier and more effective to clean your pads.

Surgical Precision Buffing with a Rotary Buffer
    Here's a few examples of surgical precision buffing using a rotary buffer, it helps to have a compact, lightweight rotary buffer to start with like the Flex PE 14

The adapter acts as an extension which allows me to better see where the pads touching the paint as I buff and also works sometimes to give you enough clearance to buff into tight areas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it possible to stack the extensions for a rotary? I've got some spots that it still isn't long enough for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, which LC pads do you have mounted on the PE14 in the first few pictures of post #7?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast