autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Speed / Pressure / Passes on MF pads

Hello my dear AG colleagues,

I'm here to ask about MF pads.

I have LC DA pads, and Meguiar's MF cutting / finishing pads.

I've done a lot of tests today with D300 / M100 and Uber Compound with MF cutting pad.

Even with that exhaustive test, I couldn't get into a consensus regarding correct speed / pressure on MF cutting pads (discs).

I've tried all the above compounds with medium / high pressure, medium pressure and no pressure at all (testing low (3-4) medium (4/5) high (5/6) speed, but working the product until the end of it's cycle, gave me closely similar results I couldn't know exactly what was benefiting more - speed or pressure.

What I found is that low pressure makes the MF pads easier to clean (or no need to clean on the fly as often). 'Lots of pressure' made me use my cleaning brush more often. Low pressure and 6 passes showed no need to brush the pad...

I've tested high pressure passes followed by medium / light pressure passes.

Again, I couldn't get a consensus.

What is the recommended pressure for MF cutting pads?

What about speed? I've read ~4800 RPM but I'm using speed 5 - 6 in my G200v2 polisher. Is that any harm to use Speed 6 with MF cutting pads? Should I use lot of pressure or no pressure at al (just polisher weight) with MF cutting at 6 speed? HOW many passes, at minimum? I know it varies, but a general rule to observe?

Please, if possible, I need some guidance to improve my knowledge regarding how to use properly the MF cutting pads (specially Meguiar's), but also Lake country DA MF pads.

Sorry if it's difficult to understand me, I'm brazilian!

Thank you in advance,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Speed / Pressure / Passes on MF pads

You have no apologies to make for your english!!!!!

Mike answers your questions in post #7 of this thread, but the whole thread is full of good information http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...on-system.html

Post Thanks / Like

The LAKE COUNTRY MF pads are very finicky. You will get best results with DRIER polishes(M101, M105, M100). They don't do so well with WETTER polishes.

Meg's MF cutting pads are more versatile.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my convoluted process that works for me:

1) Prime the pad but don't over-saturate it with compound (I used FG400, very similar to Uber) and work it into the pad with your fingers. Add 3 more small dots on the pad and spread the product out on your 2x2 area.
    2) Spread the product out without the machine on first, just tapping the machine in your working area, then set speed to 4 and spread the product out with just the weight of the machine.
    3) I use a PC7424XP and I ramp the speed up to 6 and do 2 passes (up/down then side/side) with EXTREMELY slow arm speed and very firm pressure but not enough to bog the machine.
    4) For the 3rd and 4th pass I ease off on the pressure but still have some on there.
    5) For the 5th pass I turn the speed down to 5 and basically use the weight of the machine with maybe 1-2lbs of pressure to finish out.

This is how I compound and usually get great results. I use the Meguiar's 5.5" MF Cutting Discs.

Post Thanks / Like

'God bless you all'. What a gift to get fast answers for my thread. Tomorrow morning I'll continue a job using those MF pads.

Your words were vey important to me, and that's what I'll be considering (TODAY!). The topic recommend really answer my question.

Thank you in advance for taking your time to help me.

Kind Regards.

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Speed / Pressure / Passes on MF pads

Quote Originally Posted by zerix View Post
    Here's my convoluted process that works for me:

1) Prime the pad but don't over-saturate it with compound (I used FG400, very similar to Uber) and work it into the pad with your fingers. Add 3 more small dots on the pad and spread the product out on your 2x2 area.
    2) Spread the product out without the machine on first, just tapping the machine in your working area, then set speed to 4 and spread the product out with just the weight of the machine.
    3) I use a PC7424XP and I ramp the speed up to 6 and do 2 passes (up/down then side/side) with EXTREMELY slow arm speed and very firm pressure but not enough to bog the machine.
    4) For the 3rd and 4th pass I ease off on the pressure but still have some on there.
    5) For the 5th pass I turn the speed down to 5 and basically use the weight of the machine with maybe 1-2lbs of pressure to finish out.

This is how I compound and usually get great results. I use the Meguiar's 5.5" MF Cutting Discs.
    My first answer was before your comments.

I must add this is precious lesson. Thank you for that.

Kind Regards.

― Isaac Newton