autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to improve my technique

So it has become winter up here in North New Jersey so that means I look to how I can improve my techniques for detailing and I was hoping I could get some suggestions.
    What I do currently when I completely do a car is:
    Wash
    Clay
    Wash
    Polish with Meguiar's Ultimate Polish or NuPolish
    Wax with Collinite #845
    Use Meguiar's UD and then their UQW

Any suggestions to improving me technique would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to improve my technique

If the money isn't a problem and you have a buffer the m205 will work better, however the UP works well also on a white pad.
    MU-Finish is good but only need to apply by hand.
    Do you own a buffer?
    Pads?

I ask this so we can give you better advice.

This is what I do when I only need a light polish.

Wash. Two bucket wash.
    Clay
    Polish using m205 but you can use the UP, no problem there.
    Then I seal, either with Griot's Paint Sealant or better Wolfgang Paint Sealant.

Does your car have swirls?
    It matters because you may need to use something like Ultimate Compound before the Ultimate Polish to remove defects that you may have.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO! You are in the right place.
    Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides

There are lots of articles from very experienced detailers around here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HateSwirls View Post
    If the money isn't a problem and you have a buffer the m205 will work better, however the UP works well also on a white pad.
    MU-Finish is good but only need to apply by hand.
    Do you own a buffer?
    Pads?

I ask this so we can give you better advice.

This is what I do when I only need a light polish.

Wash. Two bucket wash.
    Clay
    Polish using m205 but you can use the UP, no problem there.
    Then I seal, either with Griot's Paint Sealant or better Wolfgang Paint Sealant.

Does your car have swirls?
    It matters because you may need to use something like Ultimate Compound before the Ultimate Polish to remove defects that you may have.
    I already used the Ultimate Compound and I do everything by hand right now b/c I only started this a year ago. Also I have looked into paint sealant but I am still very vague about them.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mate, nice start, I've started somewhat like you.

UP is a great product. I also have M205, but when I want a killer finish on a dark vehicle that will be followed with Meguiar's Ultimate Wax, I look no further than UP. It finishes nice and have a lot of fillers (which I consider good when working by hand), all of that compatible with Ultimate Wax (no bonding issues here). UP enriches and darkens the paint.

I would recommend for you to get Ultimate Wax (paste or liquid), I use paste and like it, but liquid don't stain trim so that's a bonus because you'll get the same results without the 'mess' that sometimes occurs when wax dries on trim.

If you also like to work by hand, I would recommend for you to get lake country applicators, they go as far as you can go by hand.

EZ Grip Hydro-Tech Hand Applicators Trio - Your Choice!

Have you ever used a clay alternative?

Nanoskin AutoScrub Fine Grade Wash Mitt

With these 'beauty' you can wash follow to clay while washing using shampoo as clay lube, and you'll gain a lot of time without compromising results. Works really well.

You can also use 'cheaper' alternatives, like the sponges:
    Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge Combo Pack

Now, if you really like what you're doing, consider (seriously) ordering a polisher. Every day you delay to buy it, is another day to regret when you buy one.

Hope my tips were helpful, please, tell me what you need more and it'll be a pleasure to help.

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    Hi Mate, nice start, I've started somewhat like you.

UP is a great product. I also have M205, but when I want a killer finish on a dark vehicle that will be followed with Meguiar's Ultimate Wax, I look no further than UP. It finishes nice and have a lot of fillers (which I consider good when working by hand), all of that compatible with Ultimate Wax (no bonding issues here). UP enriches and darkens the paint.

I would recommend for you to get Ultimate Wax (paste or liquid), I use paste and like it, but liquid don't stain trim so that's a bonus because you'll get the same results without the 'mess' that sometimes occurs when wax dries on trim.

If you also like to work by hand, I would recommend for you to get lake country applicators, they go as far as you can go by hand.

EZ Grip Hydro-Tech Hand Applicators Trio - Your Choice!

Have you ever used a clay alternative?

Nanoskin AutoScrub Fine Grade Wash Mitt

With these 'beauty' you can wash follow to clay while washing using shampoo as clay lube, and you'll gain a lot of time without compromising results. Works really well.

You can also use 'cheaper' alternatives, like the sponges:
    Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge Combo Pack

Now, if you really like what you're doing, consider (seriously) ordering a polisher. Every day you delay to buy it, is another day to regret when you buy one.

Hope my tips were helpful, please, tell me what you need more and it'll be a pleasure to help.

Kind Regards.
    I have thought about getting a polisher but I have simply found the market to be too confusing for me to distinguish between everything. I would love recommendations for a polisher as doing things by hand can get annoying however I don't want to spend that much and I have little experience with polishers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say the PC 7424XP polisher is a great newb machine. It's what I started out on and I never regretted getting it.

Now I have 2 Rupes machines and a Flex.

I'm sure others will chime in with what they believe to be a good beginner machine, but PC gets my vote and I'm sure others will agree.

Post Thanks / Like

makita if you can only get one thats the one I would get.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would go with the griots garage. I absolutely love mine and understand it has more power.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi.

Don't be afraid of a polisher. It's one of (if not) the best friends of a detailer. Start watching (if you haven't yet) Mike Phillips Instructional Videos. They are the pathway for you to get there, maybe the 'Stairway to Heaven' of a detailer.

I'm not talking about 'Wax Spreaders' aka ~$30 low end polishers, I'm talking at least about a Porter Cable XP. Being that said, the polisher is not intended to make things easier, it'll be even more time consuming in some cases, but the results...

A polisher will make things Professional, your results will go from 8 to 80 as soon as you start using it.

I say this knowing the cause, I was a hand polisher for some time, and believed to have pretty decent results. However, my first time results with a polisher (Meg's G220v2) was 100 years ahead what I was getting by hand.

By the way, my hand experience wasn't wasted. You always need to touch up some small difficult to reach areas by hand. Sometimes I like to spread a coat of wax by hand... Also, your experience with products by hand will give you a feel for when you start using a polisher.

For what you're actually doing, I don't believe you can get (any) too much far than UC + UP + UW (Ultimate Wax) results. You can improve your applicators, you can improve your claying (like I've said before).

You'll only really 'improve your technique' further with a polisher, I mean, achieving 'arm circles speed' of ~6800 per minute.

Griot's Garage, Porter Cable XP and Meguiar's G110v2 are some names to start looking at.

Based on your history, it's unlikely you're wishing to spend ~$400 only in a high end polisher, because you'll also have to order Pads and products.

To start, here are some kits / polishers to look at:

Meguiars G110v2 DA Microfiber Correction System Complete Kit

Meguiars G110v2 Ultra Polish Kit with 5.5 Inch Pads FREE BONUS

Porter Cable 5.5 x 7/8 Inch CCS Foam Pad Kit, buffing pads, foam pads, Porter Cable dual action polisher

Meguiars Porter Cable Ultra Polish Kit with 5.5 Inch Pads, Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Polishing Kit, Meguiars polishes, Porter Cable 7424 Mirror Glaze

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher

Meguiars FLEX 3401 Ultra Polish Kit with 6.5 Inch Pads, Meguiars Mirror Glaze Polishes, Meguiar's 105 Compound, Meguiar's 205 Ultra Finishing Polish

Rupes LHR 15ES Big Foot Random Orbital Polisher Deluxe Kit

Rupes LHR 21ES Big Foot Random Orbital Polisher Deluxe Kit

That's it for now, hope to hear from you,

PS: Those are just some examples of what you may find, generalizing polishers + pad combinations.

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast