autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you use to dry your car?

I have been getting my supplies at my local auto detail supplier and I purchased a shamwow type of product. It feels real weird and I find it weird to use.

Does anybody just use regular microfiber clothes? Large ones? Small ones? And how many do you go through during the entire drying process?

Also where do you get your clothes?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do you use to dry your car?

I have read in this forum that Pack Shack is the favorite of high-end , upscale car detailers. It is super-soft and won't do damage to your paint and great to dry it too (of course there is a variety of those MF towels, so I refer to a brand in general).

The cost is a bit high ($10-$15 each towel), but those who use it say it's money well spent.

I also read that Costco's microfibers are some of the worst you will ever get (in terms of damage they do to a clear coat).

You can settle for a middle road, get a pack of 3 good quality MF towels from AG for around $9-$12 ($3-$4 a PC).
    I know for sure I will not be using Costco's MF for my project.

P.S. You may also find relatively good MF towels in local stores. They are usually larger, very soft and furry and you can just feel how smooth they are. Those towels are also good in drying a just washed car: one towel quickly soaks all the water from large panels and if you run second towel you get your clear-coat perfectly dry and ready for polishing/waxing or whatever else you need to do.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I start off by "flood drying" the car which removes the vast majority of water. Then I dry off the small amount of beads by using a large waffle weave towel that I use to pat down the rest of the vehicle. This takes 1 towel for my car and 1 large and 1 small for my wife's SUV. If it takes more you are either flood drying incorrectly or you need to wax or seal IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree above. Flood. WW towel, then blow dry crevices

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SoFlo1 View Post
    I have been getting my supplies at my local auto detail supplier and I purchased a shamwow type of product. It feels real weird and I find it weird to use.

Does anybody just use regular microfiber clothes? Large ones? Small ones? And how many do you go through during the entire drying process?

Also where do you get your clothes?
    For what task(s) did you purpose the shamwow type of product...
    that you found to be weird to use?

In the past:
    I've cut them into 4 equal parts, to have 8 sides for use on various projects, that I'm not at liberty to disclose at this time.

However:
    Suffice it to say that the "Wipe New"-product wouldn't stand a chance in a head-to-head contest.

Note:
    AGO sells an assortment of microfiber towels... None that even comes close: that any could possibly be considered shabby.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use the thickest, fluffiest microfiber towels I have, folded into 4's, and spray a quick-detailer spray on each panel and wipe down. The QD spray aids in drying by eliminating water spots and giving a bit of a shine.

I tend to stay away from Chamois towels. Not sure what everyones opinions of them are here, but to me they are too thin and hard and too likely to marr or scratch the paint. They ARE great for keeping yourself cool in the summer though! I wet them down and wrap them around my neck when riding my motorcycle in 100+ weather. Re-soak at gas stations. They work great for that since they hold so much water!
    2014 Ford Focus SE Sport | 2014 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Convertible | 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE | 2011 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

Post Thanks / Like

Master blaster the less you touch the paint the better and if any thing is left over a very nice MF towel.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^this
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

I have two older mothers foam core drying towels that are actively fit the wheels now. One does all four. I use two megs drying waffle weaves for car body.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.