autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Mini 12 vs Griot's Garage Mini Polisher

John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

+1

I have my PC setup with the four inch pads and works very well for me.
    Instead of buying another machine I can always go down to a three inch pad.
    My GG6 is setup with the 5.5 inch pad.
    I thought about buying a HF DA and set it up with a 3 inch pad , that way I'd have all three.

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    The GG6 with 3" or 4" pads still works pretty well. You can't stop it on complex curves or complex panels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cg6LeMoN View Post
    Time to pick up a Rupes? Just for food for thought, who still believes the GG3's smaller ergonomics can still be useful in certain situations over the extra power Rupes?
    In tight spots the small orbit of the Griot's 3" is useful for sure, but the comparison to the Rupes and real word use will be very interesting.
    Buddy

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not trying to be a bring doubt on this little machine, because I'm sure it's awesome. But I could see how the larger throw could be a bit of a hindrance on a 3" pad. For me, when I'm using a pad that small - it's usually on areas that even a 3" pad barely fits. The larger throw tends to make it harder to judge how close I can get to the edge - or if I'm buffing the edge (Bigfoot). When I'm working on a small area I just want power to the pad - not a bigger throw.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I'm not trying to be a bring doubt on this little machine, because I'm sure it's awesome. But I could see how the larger throw could be a bit of a hindrance on a 3" pad. For me, when I'm using a pad that small - it's usually on areas that even a 3" pad barely fits. The larger throw tends to make it harder to judge how close I can get to the edge - or if I'm buffing the edge (Bigfoot). When I'm working on a small area I just want power to the pad - not a bigger throw.
    If, by "power to the pad" you mean rotations of the pad (as opposed to the oscillations which are rated by the opm), it's the larger throw that induces the greater ability to rotate the pad, all else being equal.

But let's put this in perspective. The GG has 8mm throw diameter (or 4mm radius) while the Duetto and 75E is 12mm (or 6mm radius). The radius is what matters when you're trying to precisely align/buff along one edge. There's only a 2mm difference in radius between them. That's a hair over 1/16th of an inch. I don't think a person could move the machine along a body line with less than a 16th inch deviation even if it had zero throw. All I'm getting as is you might be overstating the difference, but I do understand the point you are making relative to fine control to follow a line precisely.

PS I'm assuming the throw of the GG mini is the same as the regular unit. If it's less, adjust the above accordingly.

Mike Phillips

The tools works great but you cannot accidentally lift the pad away from the surface when polishing at high speeds.

Don't ask me how I know...

Stay tuned for the Thursday Night Live Broadcast as we'll have Yancy bring the boom camera in for some close-ups of this tool in action.

Post Thanks / Like
    So what's the price difference? What's the warrenty like? One issue is with the name on it, "Big Foot", shouldn't this one be called "Little Feet", pass the band some royalties and call it a day, LOL!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    So what's the price difference? What's the warrenty like? One issue is with the name on it, "Big Foot", shouldn't this one be called "Little Feet", pass the band some royalties and call it a day, LOL!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post

Hoy Hoy! As "Little Feat" would say. (Note f-e-a-t )

Which btw is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE bands, and probably the best "boogie" band EVER! They even came up with a terminology for the drum beat that Richie Hayward started oh so many years ago, the 'crack' beat. Many have tried and failed along the way. I have the original, but also the double CD 25th anniversary release of, "Waiting for Columbus" that I picked up at a live show that's autographed by the band in 2003.

Man I love me some Dixie Chicken, Fat Man in The Bathtub, or some Old Folks Boogie, Rock n' Roll Doctor, Spanish Moon, and even the old school 'Willin'!

Quote Originally Posted by SR99 View Post
    But let's put this in perspective. The GG has 8mm throw diameter (or 4mm radius) while the Duetto and 75E is 12mm (or 6mm radius). The radius is what matters when you're trying to precisely align/buff along one edge.

*******There's only a 2mm difference in radius between them.******

That's a hair over 1/16th of an inch. I don't think a person could move the machine along a body line with less than a 16th inch deviation even if it had zero throw. All I'm getting as is you might be overstating the difference, but I do understand the point you are making relative to fine control to follow a line precisely.

PS I'm assuming the throw of the GG mini is the same as the regular unit. If it's less, adjust the above accordingly.
    Been reading my mind there!

Just doesn't seem like a whole ton of benefit when working in a small area for only 3mm. Sure, it'd be the "bigfoot" of small foot print devices, but at what cost?

What may be more telling though is for so little difference in throw, why exactly would one actually shell out the big $$$ difference for the small -rather specialized- machine? Considering they are only selling them in "kits" @ $500 or so each!
    I mean heck, you can buy a GG6, another GG3 put a 3" backing plate on both, and a whole bin full of 3" and 4" pads with money left over for a nice steak dinner!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I won't be parting with my little GG3 anytime soon. It's just too cute!

And it works, with a little bit of practice-use.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast