autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lesson Learned... Still Not Over It..

How long was your car at the dealer for? And when you brought it in was it already clean? I'm confused why they wash cars when they are serviced. My girlfriends car is going in for recall work soon and I'm afraid this will happen. Her car is also black.
    Have any pics of the damage?

Post Thanks / Like
    I was there for a recall that was supposed to take 5-10 minutes and I had washed the car the day before but it was raining on the way there.

I'll post pictures tomorrow, I'm hoping for the sun to be out. Either way I'll be meeting with manager tomorrow so I'm anxious to hear what he has to say..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gardnerr2 View Post
    So the myth is true.... I have a Lexus and I took it in for a recall. I know I don't even need to go on any farther but I will say that I asked THREE people to make sure my car wasn't going to be washed before handing them my keys.......

(I KNOW I KNOW LESSON LEARNED WAS MAKE THE DARN SIGNS)
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-wash-car.html

Anyways, its cloudy as all can believe and its still showing off its new DISO detail.

They offered to buff it out. I said heck no kindly. Speaking to a manager tomorrow.. What do I ask for? I don't want them touching my paint ever again. He promised to get this fixed and even mentioned the body shop.

What would you do if you were me here? I don't have a paint thickness reader but common sense is telling me I don't have too much room to play with on this car.

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE FOR TOMORROW'S MEETING/CALL WITH MANAGER...

Im going to bring some sun shots showing a swirl free finish up close but that's all I have for "ammo" as of right now...

Sincerely,
    Very Sad Detailer

PS: I really don't have the heart to take pictures of the car right now... too angry and like I said before, too cloudy. Thanks for reading

I would say whatever money it would take to get it done right by a professional detailer would be a good starting point.

Figure $75 an hour and depending on how bad it is....

Post Thanks / Like
    Usually the spot where they wash the cars is open or partially open. I always wait with my car for any service, and I keep an eye on their "detailing spot" to make sure my car goes nowhere near there.

However, I'll fix almost anything possible or do any service possible at home, as long as its not a crazy PIA without a lift. Usually a recall / state inspection is something you can wait for.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I made the dealership pay to have it corrected by my buddy in San Antonio

They didn't put up a fight as I had specifically instructed the service manager NOT to wash it.

They covered all the bases:
    Greasy tires
    Tire grease on door
    Nice job on the wheels
    Water spots
    Swirls

Last edited by allenk4; 10-23-2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Add Photos

Post Thanks / Like

I am really sorry to hear about what happened to your Lexus. I would suggest going in there and explain to him very nicely all the time and hard work you put into your car. If possible walk out to your car together and show off your new DISO. Then wait and see what they will offer you. If they offer to buff it out, explain to them that this is not the type of job for a body shop. Only the finesse of a very experienced detailer would be right for your situation.
    I hope everything works out for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ prob not a good idea posting a pic of that check.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KillaCam View Post
    X2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KillaCam View Post
    +1 there is a LOT of information on that check that should not be posted publicly.

Does anyone ever check the cars in the lot for DISO? I had thought about doing it at the dealer I ordered my car from. Guess if you're buying 'off the lot' instead of ordering you're just stuck with it? Notwithstanding used.

My neighbor just bought a brand new Jeep and I was impressed with how great it looked (other than greasy looking tires). Even took a peek when he was telling me about it and couldn't see any swirls in the sunlight. Talked to him the other day though. Lotso swirls! He was out there scrubbing some road tar off with a dry towel (kitchen towel) on dry paint with lots of elbow grease, and I know he's washed it a few times with the good ol' sponge off-the-garage floor and hose method. So, obviously, it's not a concern for most dealers. Most folks have no IDEA what swirls are or even care.

Ignorance is bliss. Too bad you guys here at Autogeeks screwed me over and gave me a bunch of work to do. A couple of months ago I'd have been just fine letting the dealer detail it, and throwing some wax on it once a month in nice little circular motions with a dirty used applicator pad!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Usually the spot where they wash the cars is open or partially open. I always wait with my car for any service, and I keep an eye on their "detailing spot" to make sure my car goes nowhere near there.

However, I'll fix almost anything possible or do any service possible at home, as long as its not a crazy PIA without a lift. Usually a recall / state inspection is something you can wait for.
    Recall is one thing but, again, why do the state inspection at the dealer? State inspections are usually 'price controlled' but aside from that, local shops are often better, nearly always cheaper, and usually never wash ANY cars. I got a state inspection done at a dealer one time, forget why. But I had to give the guy my keys, sat for well over an hour in a waiting room with some tiny TV, and just waited and waited and waited, then finally he brought me back my keys, not before I saw my car nearly bottom out because of how fast he came flying out of the shop with my car.

The local shop I go to, state inspections I'm the one who drives the car. I drive it into the shop, he tells me to turn on my blinkers and stuff like that. Then I hop out so they can jack up one wheel and inspect one brake (others states may be different, but in MO they just pick one random wheel to pull off and check the brakes). Easy! Faster too.

If I don't feel like changing my oil, believe it or not, the quick change places (like Valvoline) are better, IMO. Once again, some $10 an hour shop tech with a lead foot isn't driving my car. I am. You pull it into the booth; it doesn't even go on a lift (they have a hole in the floor and a guy is already standing under it!). You don't even have to get out of the car. 10 minutes and you're done. I much prefer that over waiting and waiting and waiting at the dealer, who is going to put it up on a lift to do it.

I took my motorcycle in for an ECU recall a couple years ago. Watched them take it down off the lift and ride it out back. Walked out back and saw a little 2 gallon bucket of suds and a grease stained, dirty shop rag being smeared all over my precious bike. I tried to be polite and say "Don't worry about it". He said "Oh no man it's no big deal", and, a little annoyed, I said "If you're using the same rag you use to wipe greasy parts down it kind of is a big deal". He just said "Oh, yeah, sorry man", and tossed me the keys. That was my worst experience! And it was odd, because while a lot of car drivers aren't 'car guys', motorcycle guys (especially Cruisers with lots of Chrome) are big into keeping their bikes looking good! They may be swirl-illiterate, but few bikers would take a greasy, stained rag to their bike.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast