autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lesson Learned... Still Not Over It..

Quote Originally Posted by b0b View Post
    Will the clear coat diminish around the surrounding areas? Trying to understand before I talk to him again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    If the damaged areas were coated, they should be protected from further damage. ie the small isolated area with CC failure will not spread like a disease.

Are you able to post pics of these spots?

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    No pictures of it until tomorrow when I get back to car... I didn't get an opportunity to take pictures throughout the process like I was planning on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just called the local body shop... Taking it tomorrow to get a quote on getting bumper repainted. Not very happy at all..

Needless to say, I learned my lesson and I will NEVER EVER EVER take my car to a dealership without signs posted everywhere on my car.

This has been awful, makes me want to just sell the car and start over. All because of a car wash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really can't believe it. If my hood isn't fixable and it needs repainted...... It's unbelievable..

Post Thanks / Like

Just called the local body shop... Taking it tomorrow to get a quote on getting bumper repainted. Not very happy at all..

Needless to say, I learned my lesson and I will NEVER EVER EVER take my car to a dealership without signs posted everywhere on my car.

This has been awful, makes me want to just sell the car and start over. All because of a car wash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really can't believe it. If my hood isn't fixable and it needs repainted...... It's unbelievable..

Unfortunately your troubles most likely wouldn't be over if you have to get an area repainted. Body shops are notorious for leaving dull, poorly finished paint after resprays. You will often find sanding tracers, pigtails, holograms, and an overall hazy appearance. This is best treated by a professional detailer... and obviously, those panels that are painted will need to be re-coated with OC Pro.

Sucks that you've had to go through this

Post Thanks / Like
    The one thing that today has taught me is that these message boards have an incredible amount of USEFUL information. I watched all day and didn't learn anything new. In fact I wanted to correct them on a few things at times like letting microfiber on floor and stuff that's unacceptable if you're a part of these forums.

If the body shop messes up the paint, I'm confident I could fix it and if not, with the help of AG I think I could. This body shop painted my old car after I hit a deer and did a pretty good job.

I watched one of your videos recently about arm speed, Zach, and ever since then my work looks so much better than ever before.

Post Thanks / Like

The one thing that today has taught me is that these message boards have an incredible amount of USEFUL information. I watched all day and didn't learn anything new. In fact I wanted to correct them on a few things at times like letting microfiber on floor and stuff that's unacceptable if you're a part of these forums.

If the body shop messes up the paint, I'm confident I could fix it and if not, with the help of AG I think I could. This body shop painted my old car after I hit a deer and did a pretty good job.

I watched one of your videos about arm speed, Zach, and ever since then my work looks so much better than ever before.

Glad I could help! Again, it sucks you've had to go through this... really hope it gets resolved quickly and you can get back to loving your car

Post Thanks / Like

Just wish more car owners were more educated. Then dealers, detailers and body shops would be better trained and equipped. If every customer came in furious about swirls in their paint, then they'd modify their processes. They probably just seriously don't know any better!
    2014 Ford Focus SE Sport | 2014 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Convertible | 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE | 2011 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    Unfortunately your troubles most likely wouldn't be over if you have to get an area repainted. Body shops are notorious for leaving dull, poorly finished paint after resprays. You will often find sanding tracers, pigtails, holograms, and an overall hazy appearance. This is best treated by a professional detailer... and obviously, those panels that are painted will need to be re-coated with OC Pro.

Sucks that you've had to go through this

I have a customer with a 2012 black mica Mazdaspeed wagon that I did a Level 1.5 correction on earlier this summer. Well his dad was driving a couple months ago, fell asleep and did $12K worth of damage! Took 6 weeks in the shop and TWO supplements (adjustments to the original repair estimate) before he finally got it back.

Once he did, he calls me to come look. The good part was the paint color matches. Other than that it was pretty bad. The sourced a crash part on the front bumper cover and hood, same color. But the spot corrected the hood. The side was orange peel from front to back with bad dry spray behind the gas cap. He wasn't too worried and just figured I'd fix it. I told him however that he shouldn't be paying me hundreds of bucks to do it as THEY should have done it to begin with. What's a "Lifetime Warranty" good for if you can't get them to correct it a week out.

Luckily for him I know the body shop manager (big Buick, Mazda, GM dealership) so I told the kid I'd call him to let him know what was going on and I'd go up there with him. Plus the shop manager obviously didn't see it because I know the guy, and THAT is NOT the quality he lets slide day in, day out.

After our meeting there he took it back in, got a new Buick SUV loaner for two days, and it looks really good now.

Just been waiting for it all to cure so I can go back over it and remove a few holograms then put a new "Black Label Diamond Coating" on the whole car.

Quote Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
    Just wish more car owners were more educated. Then dealers, detailers and body shops would be better trained and equipped. If every customer came in furious about swirls in their paint, then they'd modify their processes. They probably just seriously don't know any better!
    Yeah but 95% or more of all car owners don't WANT to be more educated. I have a buddy I went to school with in the 70's that I did a 2 stage correction for on his wife's Lexus back in March. He didn't care at all for what it took, didn't want to spend the time doing it, and moreover thought it was a TOTAL WASTE OF TIME for the two of us to spend 2 days together (on a man's weekend while she was out of town on business) making her car be what it should be. When I approached it and asked him what the second most expensive thing he had ever bought in his life, other than his homes and his answer was "my cars" even THEN he didn't understand why ANYONE would want to spend a few hours keeping them up "like this".

In their eyes, it's a drive through car wash and whatever sprays out on it. He kept telling me, "She keeps this car up. She keeps it waxed. She's REALLY picky about this car. This car is HER baby. She keeps it washed." Yet while it was relatively clean, I challenge anyone to find any wax on it.

A few months later he was looking at selling his 08 Corolla that he drove for work. Car had high miles on it, but being a non smoker it was a clean car. Swirled to heck and back, but clean none the less. So we ran the 'book' on the car and even with the miles on it, he could have easily gotten $7K for it. That is if the outside had been clean and shiny and swirl free like the inside was. I told him I'd do it for $250, remove 90% of the swirls, and put a layer of M21 2.0 on it. Furthermore I'd guarantee that he would double his money from what he spent or I'd give him half of it back.

So what did he do?
    He sold the car for SIX thousand, easily losing $1000 or more (well $750+ after the detailing cost) because he - didn't - care what it looked like and "wanted to get rid of it quickly".

Gets to looking too bad. Trade it in!
    It's that mentality that drives the marketplace.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well guys good news and bad news. He fixed the hood but the whole car is a hazy mess.... Having him repolish now not his partner

Post Thanks / Like

Well guys good news and bad news. He fixed the hood but the whole car is a hazy mess.... Having him repolish now not his partner

The whole car??

What's the deal? Did they do test spots? What products did they use for compounding and polishing previously? Didn't you say they had already sprayed OC Pro on the car?

Man, these guys' reputation is going down, down, down!

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast