autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

"Cleaning up" old Opti-Coat 2.0 application?

I had someone detail my car about 5 months ago. For the LSP we decided to use Opti-Coat 2.0 because the car has an extremely soft, single stage, black paint job. The thinking was the Opti-coat would add a hard layer of protection as well as minimize how often the paint would require attention. It was darn near impossible to look at the paint without it marring before. I'm happy with the Opti-coat so far, but it has a lot of "High spots" from appling it to thick. I'd like to go over the whole car with my PC and something that has VERY LIGHT cleaning or polishing ability. Just enough to clean up the Opti-Coat and level out the high spots without wearing through the coating. Looking for suggestions on what combination of pad and product to use to achieve this without inducing any marring.

I don't have much on hand, but am willing to buy whatever is needed. All I have on hand is...

Old Porter Cable
    Megs tan finishing pads
    Megs yellow polishing pads
    LC Grey/black flat finishing pads
    LC CCS white pad

Optimum Poly-seal
    Optimum GPS
    Megs 80
    Megs 83
    Mothers Cleaner Wax

I was thinking a pad that has no cut like the Megs tan, LC grey/black, or LC blue? I bought the GPS from a previous recommendation, but am having second thoughts?

Mike Phillips

Re: "Cleaning up" old Opti-Coat 2.0 application?

Hi Phil,

As we discussed over the phone, pick up some 4" Hydro-Tech pads because the face of these pads are flat to keep 100% of the pad surface in contact with the paint to abrade off the excess residue.

High spots = excess residue

The smaller size will provide a smaller footprint so you limit the size of your work area.

Then get a good compound and polish, either the Wolfgang Uber Compound and Finishing Glaze, both can be had in small 8 ounce bottles as you shouldn't need much product or the Meguiar's UC and UP.

Try only using the polish with the Tangerine Hydro-Tech polishing pad and possibly you can remove the high spots while leaving some of the uniform layer of Opti-Coat II behind.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Cleaning up" old Opti-Coat 2.0 application?

Thanks Mike. I posted this before you gave me a call. Appreciate the help!