autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing the Orange Peel with many Details

Do u think that if a car has Orange Peel and I detail it with full correction or even minor scratch removal multiple times that it will eventually remove the OP. I am just wondering if this what I have to look forward to after many many details on my car. Using compounds rarely and more polishing every few months for light swirls is what I tend to do. I don't like the OP but I don't want to wet sand because its a newer car and the CC is thin. Just thinking if the multi-polishes I do when I have time will eventually make the paint smooth and clear without OP. Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    It will eventually begin to smooth out. Just running through a car wash with brushes will smooth it out. How long it'll take is anyone's best guess.

If you try the carpro velvet pads they can smooth it out descently. I was pretty amazed at their ability to level.

Gentle polishes will take forever in my opinion. Compounds only slightly less. I'd guess 10+ times over a couple years could help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like
    The thinner the pad, I'd guess the better at leveling the paint. The velvet pads are supposed to only knock off the tops of the Peel.

Thicker pads will conform to the shape more completely , cutting the peaks and valleys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like
    I hit my 06 tundra with Megs Microfiber compound twice and and polished once with Menzerna 2500. That helped a lot in removing op. Just to let you know removing orange peel was not my main objective, it was to improve the condition on my paint.

Sent from my HTC One using AG Online

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing the Orange Peel with many Details

CarPro Denim and Velvet Pads require a rotary

CarPro Velvet Orange Peel Removal Pad, orange peel removal paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Try a wool pad on a rotary first. Soft CC will level out fast.

As far as the Carpro pads, I just am old school and I prefer sanding and measuring, best way to make it level and avoid putting "dips" into the CC. Also IMO it's easier to read how the peel is on the paint.

3000 the whole car, then buff out, will be like glass! I just did that on a flat black Lexus. (Not full peel removal, just trying to level and fix the plethora of issues)

Pre LSP
    Removing the Orange Peel with many Details-imageuploadedbyagonline1380831551-207489-jpg

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

cool, thnx

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you try wet sanding with 1500 then compound with wool pad on a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

If the vehicle is not an actual Show Car...
    with all the safeguards taken to ensure it will not be exposed to conditions as would a DD...

Then, IMHO...
    You should always be aware if there is a sufficient amount of the top-coat paint film (CC) that,
    by whenever abrading this surface, it will not compromise the entire "paint-system".

The CC-paint film-build from the OEM factories' paint kitchens is (to be very generous) ~ 1.5-2.0 mils.
    Invariably...The OEM's insist to never remove more than 0.3-0.5 mils of CC-paint.
    To do otherwise, they say, will invalidate any paint warranties...including Goodwill Warranties;
    as well as "weaken" the paint system.

It may take quite awhile to abrade away that allotted amount of CC-paint by 'polishing'.
    But without the aid of an EPTG it may be difficult to find that moment in time when:
    STOP...THAT's ENOUGH!!!...will occur.

Just a hint at some things that may happen when orange peel removal is the intimated goal.

My: .0

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti