autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Maintenance after a detail

Hey AGO members,

I am a new member of AGO and I have searched everywhere but couldn't find the answers to my question. I have a 2002 Mustang and have detailed it myself about 2 times within the three years of owning it. It seems as though almost instantly after detailing the vehicle, I am back at having problems with swirl marks again. I use perfectly clean microfibers and wash mitts, the two bucket method, and drying the car with a clean waffle weave. Are there any other techniques to prevent swirls and maintain your detailing finish to your vehicle that are cost efficient?

I have looked into Metro Air Force Blasters, but they are costly. I've read threads about using leaf-blowers, but leaf blowers aren't as effective in my opinion. Any other suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Maintenance after a detail

Welcome to the forum!

It seems there are a few things that could be wrong.

Either you have soft paint which is very easily prone to scratching easily.
    Your mitts and towel are not a soft as you think.
    You may have not removed the swirls and scratches when you detailed your car.

What was your process and products for when you detailed your car?

What kind of towels mitts and drying towels are you using?

Do you have grit guards for you buckets?

Just trying to figure out your issue so let us know.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO!

There is nothing worse then spending your time and money to thoroughly detail your car only to have it begin to get swirled out again after the first wash.

In addition to thinking about washing techniques you should consider a hard wearing coating such as CQuartz that will actually help mitigate fine swirls. Some of the newer paint coatings actually cure harder than the paint they bond to which helps to eliminate the potential for marring and swirl marks if handled delicately.

Here are some helpful tips to mitigate wash induced swirl marks during your maintenance washes:

1. Pressure wash the vehicle to remove loose debris and road grime. Anything you can remove from the vehicle prior to touching it is going to help immensely.

2. Snow foam the vehicle to help loosen the remaining film and road grim that has covered the paint. Let the soap solution dwell as long as possible. For extremely dirty paint it would be wise to rinse with strong pressure water again.

3. Use a two bucket wash method with at least one grit guard in each bucket.

4. Use multiple wash mitts. At the minimum use one for upper panels and one for lower panels. On maintenance details I use three to four different mitts to lessen the chance for embedded dirt in the fibers to potentially mar the finish.

5. Wash in straight lines. This way if something does get into the wash media and gets dragged across the paint it will not be as noticeable until your next polishing session.

6. When drying, use forced air like from a Master Blaster (leaf blowers don't work as well and cannot get the paint 100% dry). OR use a "blot dry" method in which you blot the water beads off the paint instead of wiping them away.

Paint preservation is the best form of care for newer vehicles... especially with how thin OEM paint finishes are nowadays.

Again, welcome to AGO!
    Last edited by AutowerxDetailing; 10-02-2013 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Forgot about drying tips!
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes it's the drying of the car that gets you.
    Make sure you use forced air and use a drying towel the least amount that you can and make sure it very soft and clean.
    I fight this with my black RAV so your not alone.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the useful advices and tips! if there are any other recommendations, please let me know!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

It seems there are a few things that could be wrong.

Either you have soft paint which is very easily prone to scratching easily.
    Your mitts and towel are not a soft as you think.
    You may have not removed the swirls and scratches when you detailed your car.

What was your process and products for when you detailed your car?

What kind of towels mitts and drying towels are you using?

Do you have grit guards for you buckets?

Just trying to figure out your issue so let us know.

since i'm kind of new to auto detailing, i might not have as much equipment as most members on this forum. for all the details i've done so far, here's what i've done.

- clayed the car
    - used a 2-step polish using meguiars m105 and m205 (swirls were pretty deep the first time i detailed my car)
    - used detailer's pro poli-coat paint sealant
    - used collinite #845

*everything besides m101 and m205 i did by hand. for the polishing, i am using a GG machine with orange pads i ordered from detailers domain.

after detailing the car, i am always incredibly satisfied. after routine maintenance, swirls are back. washing the car consist of CG Citrus wash with some microfiber wash mitt i bought at o' reilly's, two bucket method with each one having a grit guard, drying is a blot drying method with a cobra waffle weave, followed by microfibers just to clean it up (microfibers are brand new purchased on detailers domain)

is there anything i am doing wrong? or is it just the paint that's really sensitive?

Post Thanks / Like

I think it would still be helpful if you tell us what kind of mitts you are using, towels, grit guards, etc. Assuming you are using microfiber towels and mitts, how are you washing them? Are you using fabric softener or washing/drying them with non-MF? Any of these things could cause problems.

Hondas have super soft clear coats and I haven't induced any swirls since I detailed them in the spring. Do I have a few micro scratches here and there...sure, but they are barely detectable, even in the sun. I do wash and dry my horizontal panels front to back and side panels top to bottom in straight lines. I use 2BM for wash with 2 grit guards and MF mitt, and dry with Cobra waffle weave towels. I don't have a blower yet.

When you wash, do you push down hard on your mitt, or just let the mitt glide and do the work? I barely put any pressure on the mitt while I wash, just enough to guide it.

Tell us more about your products and methods and you'll be able to help everyone here detect possible problems and give you better advice.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickyong123 View Post
    since i'm kind of new to auto detailing, i might not have as much equipment as most members on this forum. for all the details i've done so far, here's what i've done.

- clayed the car
    - used a 2-step polish using meguiars m105 and m205 (swirls were pretty deep the first time i detailed my car)
    - used detailer's pro poli-coat paint sealant
    - used collinite #845

*everything besides m101 and m205 i did by hand. for the polishing, i am using a GG machine with orange pads i ordered from detailers domain.

after detailing the car, i am always incredibly satisfied. after routine maintenance, swirls are back. washing the car consist of CG Citrus wash with some wash mitt i bought at o' reilly's, two bucket method with each one having a grit guard, drying is a blot drying method with a waffle weave, followed by microfibers just to clean it up.

is there anything i am doing wrong? or is it just the paint that's really sensitive?
    If you are using CG Citrus Wash after you detail, you are probably removing your wax and sealant. Get some Duragloss 901. I don't think I would use an orange pad for the M205 either. You need to step that down to a white pad at least. With the orange pad you might actually be leaving swirls behind on the M205 step that get hidden until that first wash. Did you IPA wipedown after the M205 before you put the sealant on?

And what is "some wash mitt from O'Reilly's"? Is it a good quality MF mitt or just some crap mitt? Sorry, just trying to help you out here.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    I think it would still be helpful if you tell us what kind of mitts you are using, towels, grit guards, etc. Assuming you are using microfiber towels and mitts, how are you washing them? Are you using fabric softener or washing/drying them with non-MF? Any of these things could cause problems.

Hondas have super soft clear coats and I haven't induced any swirls since I detailed them in the spring. Do I have a few micro scratches here and there...sure, but they are barely detectable, even in the sun. I do wash and dry my horizontal panels front to back and side panels top to bottom in straight lines. I use 2BM for wash with 2 grit guards and MF mitt, and dry with Cobra waffle weave towels. I don't have a blower yet.

When you wash, do you push down hard on your mitt, or just let the mitt glide and do the work? I barely put any pressure on the mitt while I wash, just enough to guide it.

Tell us more about your products and methods and you'll be able to help everyone here detect possible problems and give you better advice.
    thanks for your reply. i just listed down most of the products i use on everyday maintenance. in the first place, i would always put a little pressure while washing the car. now, i use little to no pressure (just enough to touch the paint and get the dirt off), and still the swirls eventually come back... possibly the paint?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    If you are using CG Citrus Wash after you detail, you are probably removing your wax and sealant. Get some Duragloss 901. I don't think I would use an orange pad for the M205 either. You need to step that down to a white pad at least. With the orange pad you might actually be leaving swirls behind on the M205 step that get hidden until that first wash. Did you IPA wipedown after the M205 before you put the sealant on?

And what is "some wash mitt from O'Reilly's"? Is it a good quality MF mitt or just some crap mitt? Sorry, just trying to help you out here.
    thanks for your help, no need to be sorry! but it's one of those viking MF wash mitts. might be the problem? and no, i did not do an IPA wipedown after the 2 step polish. is that a major step i should not ignore?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast