autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Advice to remove scratch

Hi all, I have a black 2012 Cruze which has a few swirls over the bonnet and roof but also a large scratch on the passengers side door.

I have a RO DA Polisher DA6 (similar to the Griots Garage 6"), along with the Lake Country Light Cut Pad 6" (orange). I decided to use Meguiars Pro range as I have access to these products in Australia.
    First step was claying followed by using Meguiars #2 Fine Cut Cleaner, which removed nearly all of the swirls but I was unable to make a difference on the scratch on the door, I did about 6 sections passes in total but as I was not making any difference on the scratch so I decided to stop there. The scratch does not seem to deep from what I can tell.
    I understand that I may have to change either the product or the pad type to try to dial in a process that works but I need some advice on what to do. I was thinking about getting the Meguiars Mirror glaze Ultra cut #5 or would this be to extreme?
    I tried to get a decent pic of the problem area but the area would be close to 10" long although the picture does not show that.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Advice to remove scratch-scratch1-jpg

Advice to remove scratch-sratch-002-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi 007
    First may I ask can your finger nail catch the scratch? Your using a fine cut cleaner it will remove light oxidation ,stains, scratches etc. your in the right direction to move up to #5. After using #5 you can follow by #2 . You don't have to do the entire car with #5 just the areas where scratches remain, do a test spot before you do the entire car to see if your achieving the desired results.
    Ross

Post Thanks / Like
    Also wanted to add pad selection orange is the proper pad to use with #5 if you have a polishing pad you can use it with #2
    Ross

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice to remove scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Bamafire View Post
    Also wanted to add pad selection orange is the proper pad to use with #5 if you have a polishing pad you can use it with #2
    Hi, thanks for the suggestions, I tried the finger nail test and it does not seem to be to deep. I just did not want to be to aggressive with the #5 but as you have suggested I will do a test spot first.

Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Id recommend smaller pad as well. 3-4" should do the trick. hard to tell from the picture and metal flake is tricky but try filling the scratch first. Level it with 3000 grit sandpaper then buff it out.

Basically with scratches you are removing layers of clear coat down to the bottom of the scratch then it's flat and no more scratch. If you fill it with touch up paint you don't have to remove as much clear to level the scratch. Does that make sense?

Sometimes it's hard to get paint into tight small scratches on verticle surfaces tape off the area and you may need to squeegee it in go slow and build it up in layers. Let it dry for a few days then sand, buff and wax.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    Id recommend smaller pad as well. 3-4" should do the trick. hard to tell from the picture and metal flake is tricky but try filling the scratch first. Level it with 3000 grit sandpaper then buff it out.

Basically with scratches you are removing layers of clear coat down to the bottom of the scratch then it's flat and no more scratch. If you fill it with touch up paint you don't have to remove as much clear to level the scratch. Does that make sense?

Sometimes it's hard to get paint into tight small scratches on verticle surfaces tape off the area and you may need to squeegee it in go slow and build it up in layers. Let it dry for a few days then sand, buff and wax.

Thanks makes perfect sense, although I am not that experienced at using sand paper but I could use a smaller pad.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monty007 View Post
    Thanks makes perfect sense, although I am not that experienced at using sand paper but I could use a smaller pad.

Thanks.
    In reality when you use a liquid compound and a polisher you're sanding the finish. Moving to a sometimes more aggressive route is actual sand paper. Stay with 2000 grit and above with a light touch and you'll be fine. It doesn't take much to level a fiull in or remove a light scratch. Always use a pad, sponge or sanding block when using paper. It's tempting to use your fingers but that will rarely finish out correctly.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, sorry for the delay but I decided to first trying a 4" LC pad ( I had to order it online with the backing plate). I managed to get my hands on Meguiars 105# and today I finally got to it and the result was perfect! Scratch removed so thanks for the advice on the many posts through out this great forum.