autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

1986 Porsche 911 Turbo Wide Body Slant Nose - Demo Car

1986 Porsche 911 Turbo Wide Body Slant Nose - Demo Car

This is a 1986 Porsche 911 SC Cabriolet with Turbo Wide Body Slant Nose conversion and boxed rockers. This belongs to my buddy Mike Gelter. Mike just purchased this Porsche for himself and says he hasn't even had time to wash it since taking possession.

We're going to use this car for our demo car to learn how to use the new Detailer's Paint Coating Prep and Detailer's Paint Coating among other things.

Here's some pictures I took inside and outside to document its current condition.

Looks pretty good in these first three shots...

Here's the Porsche moved into the garage. Looks pretty good in a few of the shots...

Hmmm... needs some cleaning and detailing...

This is very cool Porsche and I think the class will not only like working on this diamond in the rough but be amazed by the dramatic before and after transformation that they are going to perform.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1986 Porsche 911 Turbo Wide Body Slant Nose - Demo Car

Man, that thing is cool but the paint is brutal! I wonder who is going to get stuck (I mean have the honor of ) taping up the grille in the whale tail...I know you have a thread somewhere where you did it, Mike...so I'm guessing you won't be volunteering to do it again!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post

Man, that thing is cool but the paint is brutal!
    It's pretty rough...

I wonder who is going to get stuck (I mean have the honor of ) taping up the grille in the whale tail...I know you have a thread somewhere where you did it, Mike...so I'm guessing you won't be volunteering to do it again!

[/QUOTE]

We're getting half lucky with this whale tail, the thin panels over the top of the grill are already flat black so no need to polish and no need to tape-off the grill behind them.

I did test to see if painter's tape will stick to the rubber portion of the whale tail and "no such luck".

Here's the 1994 I've worked on a few times and I did have to tape off the grill insets to avoid splatter problems...

1994 Porsche 964 Turbo 3.6 - Modeled by Janna and Amy

The paint around the louvers and the louvers were the most difficult areas to work on and while the paint was greatly improved in this area there are still deeper scratches remaining that can be removed but will require more time to work out carefully by hand or machine...

Post Thanks / Like

Will be watching along on this one.

Post Thanks / Like

For a car that old with original factory paint that had been well used, it's not that bad.

I expected to see much more damage than that.

It should clean up beautifully. After about 30 hours of backbreaking work

Post Thanks / Like

This would be a blast to work on! Always loved the slant nose!
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post

For a car that old with original factory paint that had been well used, it's not that bad.

I expected to see much more damage than that.

It should clean up beautifully. After about 30 hours of backbreaking work
    I'm using this car for Detailer's Paint Coating. I might do the paint polishing work before Saturday myself as I have other cars for paint polishing hands-on training.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic car! When I was a kid we had VW's and the dealership had Porsche inventory and that was exactly my dream car. I can't even tell ya how many times I drew that car. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out which is to say it will be awesome!

PC

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always wanted one!! Nice car but its a long road to recovery!! Petal to the metal baby,...

Mike Phillips

So the owner of this car, Mike Gelter, sent me an e-mail with a link to a "similar" Porsche for sale on eBay.

1989 Porsche 930 Turbo

The one on eBay is a few years newer but the same body type, that is a slant nose, wide body Cabriolet and a one-owner car with only 33,000 miles on her.

The ad also says this about the car,

Paint is original; tested with digital paint meter. Nearly flawless with only 7 very minor professionally touched up paint chips.
    Sounds like the person selling it knows at least a little about paint quality.

The car is also here in Florida, Fort Myers and the list price is,

$129,000.00

Here's few pictures...

I'm not sure the value of the Porsche sitting in our Show Car Garage right now but it's no beater that's for sure.

I think the people traveling from all over the U.S. for this weekends class are going to have a great time working on this car as well as the rest of the cool cars scheduled for this class.

This is just one of the benefits of attending my classes here at Autogeek... you get to learn on cool cars.... not rentals and demo hoods. I do have ONE daily driver transportation type car here to teach Production Detailing on but the rest are all Special Interest Vehicles, or what I call SIVs. The kind of cars you see on "Car Guy" TV shows like,

Chasing Classic Cars with Wayne Carini
    Gas Monkey Garage with Richard Rawlings
    Overhaulin with Chip Foose
    Gearz with Stacy David

Just to name a few.

While these shows do the entire build on a car we're not set up to do this type of thing. That said, we do go over the most important part and that's once all the dirty hard work is over it's time to give the kind of cool cars getting built on these TV shows a finish worthy of the car and that's what you get to learn here at Autogeek's Detailing Boot Camp Classes...

Show Car Detailing

Pure and simple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast