autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Creating a Layered Look - What does that mean?

Hi Mike,

A complete newbie here, I've spent many hours reading your articles, looking at the videos and have learned so much. I have purchased my tools and supplies from AG and am ready to start a paint correction on my car and get it ready for a concours.

I have read many times about achieving a layered look but am a bit fuzzy on what that means. Do you have any photos that would show the difference between single and multi LSP's?

I'm planning on using WGDGS (not sure if I should apply 1 or 2 coats?) and after curing topping with Souveran paste wax.

Also I understand that cure time for the sealant is 12hrs but have read that waiting a few days before adding a topper is even better. True?

Many thanks,

Allan

Mike Phillips

Re: Creating a Layered Look - What does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by 1855Cru View Post

I have read many times about achieving a layered look but am a bit fuzzy on what that means. Do you have any photos that would show the difference between single and multi LSP's?

Great questions!

"No" I don't have any pictures that show a layered look. I don't have anything in writing anywhere promoting applying multiple products for a layered look.

I have an article that tries to make some common sense about the process of using multiple LSP's for people that "do" want to layer multiple LSP's here,

Topping - Definition - How to Top also called Topping

Back in the day, I use do layer or do what's called topping before it was called topping but that was in part because we didn't has as high a quality of products like we have today.

I'm planning on using WGDGS (not sure if I should apply 1 or 2 coats?) and after curing topping with Souveran paste wax.
    If you do this, just apply one coat of the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 and let it fully cure after wipe-off for around 12 hours.

Then ever so softly apply a thin coat of the Souveran Paste wax and wipe it off softly too. Practice the Final Wipe like explained here for the final wipe...

The Final Wipe – Tips for creating a streak-free, show car finish

Also I understand that cure time for the sealant is 12hrs but have read that waiting a few days before adding a topper is even better. True?

Many thanks,

Allan

Lots of confusion over the waiting time after application and before doing anything, like even driving a car let along topping the first product.

Here's the skinny...

Before you disrupt the "protection ingredients" and whatever magic they are doing to bond/stick/adhere/crosslink/ etc. to the surface, you want a "window of time" to go by to make sure this magic is completed.

If you disrupt these ingredients before they are finished with their adhering to the surface process well then you just disrupted them, that is moved them around and possibly removed some of them. Thus defeating the goal which is to leave them on the surface.

So for most people, do the work step, (compounding/polishing/prepping), then apply your first LSP and then follow the directions for removal, if it says wipe off immediately wipe off immediately, if it says allow to dry to a haze then allow it to dry to a haze.

After wipe-off, now the "window of time" begins.

Hope the above all makes sense....

Me? I usually pick a single LSP and try to do a great job of applying it and the call it good.

This might change with the introduction of Detailer's Paint Coating... have to use it some more and pay attention to the results...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Creating a Layered Look - What does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    If you do this, just apply one coat of the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 and let it fully cure after wipe-off for around 12 hours.

Then ever so softly apply a thin coat of the Souveran Paste wax and wipe it off softly too.

Hope the above all makes sense....
    Thanks Mike!! Yes it makes perfect sense.

Just a follow-up question. When I apply the Souveran wax, is it better to apply by D/A machine with a very soft pad (Red or Gold) and low speed or by hand with a foam pad?

Thanks,

Allan