autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Clear coat stained, anyone please chime in, need some advice!!!

Hey guys,

I have a car in front of me, that, while being serviced at a shop, had some type of blue-ish fluid run down the hood(possibly oil or hydraulic fluid). The clear appears to be stained, and slightly raised. A cutting attempt has been made with zero noticable difference and I'm exploring alternative methods. Any ideas would be appreciated. The car is in front of me as I'm typing this and I want to make sure I'm making the best effort I can before walking away.

I will see if I can get a pic up but I only have my phone, it's a tough defect to see but I will do my best.

Thanks in advance AG!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clear coat stained, anyone please chime in, need some advice!!!

Ok, if it's raised, are you sure it isn't something ON TOP of the paint, rather than IN the paint (staining)?

If it's something that's dried on top of the paint, perhaps there is a solvent that will remove it. Kind of like the same idea with a house paint transfer, yes, you can mechanically remove it by polishing, which will also "polish down" the surrounding area, or you can remove it with a solvent that will not affect the clear (mineral spirits).

I presume you have already tried some cleaners like soap & water, APC, etc.?

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the CC raised like a bubble? Like a skin blister on a human body?

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried soap and water, and I've been told that solvent ha already been attempted although I may back up and try that for myself.

I got a couple of the best pics I could with my phone so you can see what I'm talking about, it seems as if some of the foreign material actually absorbed into the clear. This is how it looked when I got here, my one- pass cutting pass with 105 and a wool pad made no change.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRageDetail View Post

Hey guys,

I have a car in front of me, that, while being serviced at a shop, had some type of blue-ish fluid run down the hood(possibly oil or hydraulic fluid).

The clear appears to be stained, and slightly raised.
    I've seen brake fluid stain single stage paint before, usually purple or blue.

I don't think I've ever seen brake fluid stains on clearcoat finishes but that's mostly because I don't think I've ever seen anyone spill brake fluid on a new car.

Old cars have old brakes systems that need work and get fluid added to them so the potential for stains is greater. New cars are so good they just don't have problems, thus less chance for these kinds of issues.

Now if they are doing some type of "Power Brake Bleeding" on the car in front of you, it's possible somehow some brake fluid could have been sprayed?

I'm not sure how but just saying...

If your paint is raised where it was stained, that means the offending substance is swelling the paint, probably attacking it some way. Not a good sign.

A cutting attempt has been made with zero noticeable difference and I'm exploring alternative methods.
    If a rotary buffer, compound and wool pad are having no effect it's probably time to wetsand, then hit with a rotary buffer.

Any ideas would be appreciated. The car is in front of me as I'm typing this and I want to make sure I'm making the best effort I can before walking away.

Take a picture FAST!

Then grab the Service Manager and show him the problem, let him know you take meticulous care of your car's finish and for this reason you are familiar with every defect in the finish over the entire car and this defect was not there when you brought the car in to their shop.

Ask what is being done to the car in front of yours?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not saying it is or isn't but to me it looks like the CC absorbed it like a sponge. And then it bubbled up.

Had this happen to a family members car due to snow and not having it sealed or waxed.

I am just trying to help out: my manager uncle saw the car as well and suggested she get it repainted by calling her insurance company.

From what I have learned CC is like a sponge, that is why we apply sealants and waxes. To make a barrier.

That is why water spots happen, and we are always so cautionary about bird poo

Again IMO

Art

Post Thanks / Like

I can't really see the blue color, but I can see the raised "drops". As Art alluded to, are you sure the spilled fluid hasn't adversely effected the clear already? Swelled/damaged? If it was some sort of solvent based product, it may have absorbed into the paint, and perhaps will ultimately gas out.

Since I can't see the color, and the defect is not what I expected based on how I read your description, I'm going to back off on my solvent suggestion (I was thinking IPA, mineral spirits, and the like).

Sometimes you hit some weird stuff, like a coffee ring on a work bench, you can wipe it with all kinds of solvents, and it won't come off, use some water and it comes right up. I was hoping for you this would be something dumb like that where you polish it and nothing happens but you wipe with IPA and it comes right off...but this looks a bit more serious.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice so far, fellas!!! It is much appreciated!!!

I have a couple more pics on the way to show the damage. The color is very elusive thru a cell phone's camera lens but it had definitely affected the clear in a bad way. I would attempt sanding, I think it would make quite a difference, however: I'm dealing with a less than stellar aftermarket paint job and I'm not certain how much clear I have to work with. The more I look at it, the more I think I may just cut my losses and charge for time spent. If anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one last pic:

My photobucket app keeps crashing and it's preventing me from uploading anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

That sure seems like as Mike alluded to, brake fluid...not sure what else they would have at the dealer that would do that. Seems to me most of the other stuff would not do that, even hot coolant.

How long ago did this happen?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast