autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gum in/on Leather Heated Seat

Man... you guys are all over the map with the suggestions!!
    Based on the array of choices you've provided me, here's what I'm thinking:

Heat and gum are a bad, bad combination! I've managed to remove all of it from the surface leaving only what's worked its way down into the perforations. I'm certain applying heat will only serve to liquify (to some extent) the gum making it possible, and likely, for it to spread to other areas.

I like the idea of ice for all the reasons stated.

I REALLY don't want to use any kind of chemical/remover if it can be avoided. The vehicle in question is brand new and the seats are soooooo soft and supple and aside from the catastrophe being dealt with at the moment.... well, you know how nice brand new leather seats are.

There's another wrinkle in this equation that I just discovered today which, to tell you the truth, might just turn this situation into a claim on the owner's insurance or possibly even worse.... an out-of-pocket expense.
    Immediately below the leather and atop the actual seat cushion is a layer of fiber-fill (the white spun polyester-like stuff). All of the gum that has made its way through the leather via the perforations is now one with the fiber-fill and there's no possible way the two can be separated. The best analogy I can come up with is this...
    Picture a cotton candy machine like the ones at the fair. The stuff is actually individual hairs or strands being spun around the big tub. Now, walk up to the big tub and break an egg into the tub. I'm no rocket surgeon but I'm willing to bet everything I own there's no possible way the egg could ever be extracted completely thereby leaving only the cotton candy behind.
    That's pretty much the situation and is exactly how I'm going to present it to the owner tomorrow when I call him. Basically, this particular vehicle is going to get a new driver's seat or he's going to have a gummy seat for the entire time he owns the vehicle. And, oh yeah... let's not forget about the fact that it's a HEATED SEAT! Every time he would turn on the heat the gum would become soft and malleable and would begin to stick to whatever was sitting on the seat with any weight to it - like his ASS!

Seriously though, given all the facts and the monumental task it would be to attempt to remove the gum, I couldn't and wouldn't be able to make any guarantees that I would be successful - no matter how much time I spent and how diligent I was.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and for the great suggestions - some of which were obviously the result of quick brainstorming and a desire to offer assistance to a fellow "Buick Buffer" or "Rambler Rubber" as my dad calls us.

Regards,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gum in/on Leather Heated Seat

I'll just toss this out...if you are looking at/for gum remover, check your local janitorial supply. They will have it.

Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12