autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

cleaning aluminium engine parts

My car has this horrible stains in the engine

How I can remove them safe? I saw this thread with good information but I think the use of acid with a lot of plastic parts near is not the best choice, or what you think?.

Aluminum Wheel Restoration.

I dont want to be one week with a wire brush trying to remove the stains besides of the small areas hard to reach.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: cleaning aluminium engine parts

That's some serious damage. Looks like the header. I have a beater so I never mess with it. Heck my beater is my product test and practicing car. Your probably looking at some serious cutting with a aluminum polish and a lot of time. BF makes aluminum polish. That is not gonna be fixed in a weekend and machine work. 90% of engines that have a cover on them the block and headers under them are just unfinished metal. The plastic cover is much cheaper make and install then it is to polish metal to make it look good.
    If your mechanically auto inclined and can be without the car I would take it off and bring it to get cleaned up and powder coated.Then throw some Hi-Temp wax on it before you reinstall it. Otherwise That is going to be hours and hours of work. If I detail an engine that is in good shape they usually have a plastic cover over the block. I will take the cover off the block wipe the black down with APC wipe it down with a damp towel. I detail the engine and put a coat of hi-temp wax on it before I put the cover back on. My only concern is to keep the damage from getting worse and keep it protected.
    I always detail my personal engines twice a year. Spring then fall. Up keep is everything.
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by inDetail View Post
    That's some serious damage. Looks like the header. I have a beater so I never mess with it. Heck my beater is my product test and practicing car. Your probably looking at some serious cutting with a aluminum polish and a lot of time. BF makes aluminum polish. That is not gonna be fixed in a weekend and machine work. 90% of engines that have a cover on them the block and headers under them are just unfinished metal. The plastic cover is much cheaper make and install then it is to polish metal to make it look good.
    If your mechanically auto inclined and can be without the car I would take it off and bring it to get cleaned up and powder coated.Then throw some Hi-Temp wax on it before you reinstall it. Otherwise That is going to be hours and hours of work. If I detail an engine that is in good shape they usually have a plastic cover over the block. I will take the cover off the block wipe the black down with APC wipe it down with a damp towel. I detail the engine and put a coat of hi-temp wax on it before I put the cover back on. My only concern is to keep the damage from getting worse and keep it protected.
    I always detail my personal engines twice a year. Spring then fall. Up keep is everything.

The part in picture is the intake manifold from a 6A12 engine

Is not really damaged, I know because in some parts I clean with a dish sponge, the green one and removes, but I dont want to do all that work

thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Acid will leave its own fingerprints behind on your end results. I believe that I see rust and pitting in the photo. I could be mistaken. Cast al. is a rough surface...add in the pits and I doubt that you will achieve perfection.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

x2, with it being cast Aluminum it will always collect stuff and let it settle out making it look bad. Unless you removed it, sanded and polished it to make the surface very smooth, you will be fighting a loosing battle.

Acid will just make it white, if thats what you want then you could try it, I would suggest using a sponge or something to apply it so it does not contact things you do not want it to touch.
    Vinny

Post Thanks / Like

Try some APC and a stiff brush.

Not saying that is what you are looking for, but I too have a boatload of cast aluminum 'stuff' on my engine and this work well for me to keep it looking good.

Oh, I do use CD2 Engine Detailer to try and keep it looking good.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I tried with APC, and it cleans the aluminium but do not remove the stains, even if I use a wire brush. I guess I will paint it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ypu could always remove it and polish it if you want
    Vinny

Post Thanks / Like
    Purple power full strength, stiff brush, and power washer should do the trick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Durallymax View Post
    Ypu could always remove it and polish it if you want
    the problem, is that all engine parts look the same, cover valve, gear box, intake manifold..

Quote Originally Posted by andrew8729 View Post
    Purple power full strength, stiff brush, and power washer should do the trick
    I will try. thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast