autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

curing time before second coat of wax?

When using one of the pinnacle wax products.....

First, is there any advantage to laying on a second coat besides covering any missed spots and...

Second, is there a curing time that should be maintained before applying a second coat?

Many thanks and be well,

elliot

Post Thanks / Like

Re: curing time before second coat of wax?

Advantage would be the extra layer of protection, more gloss, shine to the finish.

I'd wait 24 hours before a 2nd application.
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like
    When applying a second coat, if one has to leave their car parked outside. Is it recommended to do a quick wash to remove any dust that got picked up, before applying a second coat?

I would think so...not sure though...

Post Thanks / Like
    A pure carnauba wax (like Souverän) doesn't need to "cure" or "bond". It just sits on the paint. That being said, you should wait long enough for whatever solvents in it to flash out or dry. I would wait an hour or two. That's my opinion. If the wax has polymers, you may want to wait a bit longer, but not much.

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Phillips' replies/posts from this thread: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...wax-coats.html...
    contains some pretty sage advice/guidelines regarding your thread-starter's query, OP...

Including this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Good thread and great answers, all I want to do is chime in with just a little tidbit of information.

For most waxes and paint sealants, (most not all), the idea is to apply the product as a thin coating working the product into the paint as much as possible. Under a microscope paint is not 1005 flat, it has little hills and valleys, pits and pores, and as it ages it has interstices, which means microscopic cracks and fissures. When you apply a coat of wax you want to try to push the wax, (or paint sealant), into all these sub-surface imperfections.

Next, let the product dry to a haze or until it swipes clear.

After it has dried, remove the excess softly using a premium quality microfiber polishing cloth.

After that... quit touching it and let the protection ingredients you have deposited on the surface completely set-up, harden and bond to the paint.

Each time you give the paint another wipe you disrupt the coating you have just applied and push the protection ingredients around and 'yes' even remove them which is the opposite of what you're trying to do.

Even if the finish doesn't look 100% even, if you can wait, then do wait and let the coating fully set-up.

The 12 to 24 hour rule is just a guideline, it's a window-of-time to let pass so that all the protection ingredients have fully set-up.

The reason this window of time is vague is because you don't know at the microscopic surface level which areas are fully set-up and which areas are not, so you let a window-of-time go by before you either,
    1. Apply another coat
    2. Give the paint a final wipe

Just to note, it's not always possible to wait to give the paint a second coating. For example, when I do mobile detailing, if my customer lives a long ways from me then I'm probably not going to be back the next day, (12 hours later), so I wait about a 1/2 hour or so and then apply my second coat.

Two coats of wax or paint sealant insures,

• Uniform Coverage
    • Uniform Appearance

So apply one coat, let it dry, wipe it off and if you do a good job in most cases that's enough. If you can and want to, apply two coats and let your schedule in part determine how long you wait to apply this second coat.

None of us live in a perfect world so we have to let our schedules play a factor in how long we wait to apply a second, or even third coating of wax or paint sealant but the above stated reason is why you want to quit touching the paint after you wipe off any number of coats of wax or paint sealant.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Now this is an educational thread. Lot's of good info.
    Always keep the shine in your life.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, it's been very educating,

I'll either wait a half hour or 12 hours or 24 hours depending upon my schedule and/or stamina. I'm at work, but I'm guessing that nothing is written on any of the Pinnacle containers or written materials. I'd imagine that letting it cure overnight would make sense.

When I've finished furniture and used Butchers wax (rarely) on the surface, it was definitely beneficial to allow each coat to cure before applying the next. Less coats were needed to create a layer rich enough to produce a protective luster.

Thanks for all of your incites and research,

elliot