autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gardnerr2 View Post
    They don't look like dimples just little holes in the paint... I'm going to get my camera out and take some pictures that you all can actually see. Will be posted tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    I know exactly what your talking about. It almost looks like the paint has pours like skin. I may very well be wrong but I think it's from the out gassing process as paint drys. I know Mike Phillips knows what causes this, he answered it in a post a could years ago.
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can't believe what just happened...

Quote Originally Posted by shoeless89 View Post
    I know exactly what your talking about. It almost looks like the paint has pours like skin.
    I may very well be wrong but I think it's from the out gassing process as paint drys.
    I know Mike Phillips knows what causes this, he answered it in a post a could years ago.
    ^^^^^^

Bob

Side Bar:
    Hi shoeless89 (Shawn)...Long time no see...
    Hope everything's been fine and dandy with you!
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a pretty good description. Fingers crossed that Mike sees this. I'll still get a better picture up by tomorrow.

Mike Phillips

My mother had to borrow my car today and went through a wash and filled my tank as a thank you for letting her use it...... The car looks worse now than it did BEFORE I detailed it a few days ago.

What do I do??????

Re-clay and start from scratch or what?

No need to re-clay as the problem now is below surface defects, not above surface contaminants.

To remove the swirls probably caused by the car wash you'll need to re-polish and then re-seal. You don't need to remove anything first as your polish will do that for you.

Then, thank you're mom, tell her what happened due to the car wash and then in a very loving manner tell her she can borrow your car anytime she needs it but...

PLEASE DON'T LET ANYONE TOUCH THE PAINT!

And that includes taking it to ANY type of car wash as you'll take care of the exterior maintenance.

Mike Phillips

Holes in the paint are usually either solvent pop or impact divots from something like sand hitting the front of the car at high speed.

To troubleshoot a problem, first see if the problem is isolated to a defined area, such as the hood.

The hood is exposed to impact from debris when you drive at high speeds and if your car has the engine in the front of the car then the hood paint is subjected to both sun light, which means UV rays and heat build-up PLUS engine heat.

If the panel affected has been repainted, and the repainted panel is the only panel with the holes, then it could be a defect related to the re-spray such as solvent pop.

Besides the above, all my life after polishing using a DA Polisher I've often noticed little holes in the paint like you see in this black Porsche...

Proof You Can Do It! - Joe The Detailer - Black Porsche Turned into Black Pearl!

Here's an example in SINGLE STAGE PAINT on the Trunk Lid...

1957 Chevrolet Belair Extreme Makeover - Flex 3401 & Wolfgang Smackdown!

This is with the before side being lit up using the flash of the Rebel T1i

This is the after side. The tiny craters or pin holes you see are more than likely what' called Solvent Popping, which occurred when the paint was sprayed. These pin holes are actually present on the before side except because there are so many swirls in the before side, the swirls hide the solvent popping pin holes.

No amount of buffing will remove solvent popping because the holes are throughout the layer of paint, not just on the surface. Compounding and polishing more and more will just remove more paint and reveal a greater depth of the pin holes, it won't make the problem go away.

Keep in mind this is a very high resolution camera and it's being held very close to the paint. After polishing and waxing and then looking at the paint from a normal distance you don't really see them. The only fix is to repaint the entire car or the affected panels.

And a shot right on the tape-line...

And for the life of me I don't have an exact answer as to what causes the holes, and as to what causes them to "show-up" after a thorough polishing.

Also... I wouldn't get to hung up on it either... there's really not much you can do about it outside of a paint job.

Some guys suggest wetsanding, but because the defects goes "into" the paint, sanding and buffing just uncovers more of the holes. Not a good recipe for success.

If you get lucky and sand and buff and chase the holes till they bottom out, chances are very good you now have "Whisper Thin" paint and this increases the likelihood for clear coat failure.

I hate being the bearer of bad news...

Post Thanks / Like
    Those pictures are dead on what my car looks like after a polish. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I will definitely learn to get over them although it may take some time....

As always, thanks everyone for the help. You guys are awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey everyone! I have had a pretty unexpected morning in terms of detailing goes. A few days ago I did a AIO menzerna polish and WG sealant with some wax over that. Everything was great until......

My mother had to borrow my car today and went through a wash and filled my tank as a thank you for letting her use it...... The car looks worse now than it did BEFORE I detailed it a few days ago. What do I do?????? Re-clay and start from scratch or what?

Give your Mother a big hug and say "Thanks Mom".

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and for momma, I can never be mad at her haha. I explained to her why I don't take it to car washes and she gets it.

THANKS AGAIN!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12