autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New car: How to remove wiper outline?

History: Have a new ATS Lux bought off a lot (on the lot for around 2 months). Car is garaged. Have the car about a month and put on about 1000 miles. Getting a lot of rain and I noted that with the wipers going, it appeared that the windshield was somewhat fogged. Put on the defogger, but didn't make any difference. Finally, figured that the "fogginess" was on the outside, which did clear somewhat, but not all the way. When I got home, I cleaned the new wipers(dealership just replaced them the prior week) with alcohol and then noted that there were dark "marks" where the wipers rest and also at the points where the wipers moved to their furthest position. Furthermore, there was a distinct wiper path outline on the windshield. The area within the path was clearer than the rest of the windshield. These noted unwanted marks are only visible when the glass is wet. Using a nylon Dobbie pad, I wiped these areas with a detergent soap, alcohol, Invisible Glass, paint thinner, toothpaste, 3M Fine Cut, and some generic compound. Also of note is that these areas are smooth to the touch. None of which made any difference. It's like the glass is "etched," and nothing removes it.

I have done some reading about this issue and think that treating the windshield with cerium oxide, or bricking the windshield might solve the problem, but I have the feeling that neither of these possible solutions are in the offing. If there are other doable solutions, would love to know about them. Also to consider is that this is a new car model (an effort by Cadillac to win-over BMW-3 type drivers,) and as Cadillac is bending over to please, I can always lay the problem on them.

If I have to bring the car in, then I would appreciate knowing what has to be done by Cadillac to clear the problem. Whenever I have to go to the dealer, I always like to know what to expect.... Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New car: How to remove wiper outline?

i have a new ats and you know more about this problem than most people would. i will watch this post carefully. hope you find a solution .

Post Thanks / Like

A few things.

Congrats on the car. All kinds of things happen to new cars at dealers, so who knows what they might have done to your windshield. Why did they replace the wiper blades, because you complained? Or for some other reason?

A Doobie pad should not have done any additional damage to your windshield (although who knows with the soft glass they seem to use these days), but it probably didn't provide a very good substrate to polish with.

"Wiper tracks" which is what happens when abrasive particles are dragged across the windshield (like during the winter when sand from winter salt winds up on the windshield with the spray) is common, and would require something like cerium oxide to remove, but you don't seem to be describing this. I don't know what "bricking" is.

Since you seem to be new and likely don't have any of the products/tools we "expect" members to have, and since you seem to have some sort of "film" on the windshield, I would suggest going to your local auto parts store or big box store and get some terry or microfiber applicators, and use your 3M Fine Cut, or even better, get some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, and try that vigorously on a small portion of the windshield and see what happens. (that's presuming that you don't have a machine polisher).

I find some windshields to be very finicky, but that seems to be mostly Asian cars...perhaps they have some regulations over there that result in softer glass. One that I have is not only soft but also just seems to hold onto residues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daveinsweethome View Post
    i have a new ats and you know more about this problem than most people would. i will watch this post carefully. hope you find a solution .
    Do you have this problem, also?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    A few things.

Congrats on the car. All kinds of things happen to new cars at dealers, so who knows what they might have done to your windshield. Why did they replace the wiper blades, because you complained? Or for some other reason? I asked them to because the wiper was making undue noise at the end of the upwards and beginning of the downward wipe. Wipers were quieter after the blade replacement.

A Doobie pad should not have done any additional damage to your windshield (although who knows with the soft glass they seem to use these days), but it probably didn't provide a very good substrate to polish with.

"Wiper tracks" which is what happens when abrasive particles are dragged across the windshield (like during the winter when sand from winter salt winds up on the windshield with the spray) is common, and would require something like cerium oxide to remove, but you don't seem to be describing this. I don't know what "bricking" is.
    As far as I know, the wipers were not running when there was an "grit" in the air. There are no tracks, just the outline of the path that can only be seen when glass is wet. Also, only had the car for a month and under the relatively clean conditions where I live, I'm not thinking excessive windshield abrasion...but who know? Bricking was my attempt as some humor; you know, brick the windshield to get insurance to replace it.

Since you seem to be new and likely don't have any of the products/tools we "expect" members to have, and since you seem to have some sort of "film" on the windshield, I would suggest going to your local auto parts store or big box store and get some terry or microfiber applicators, and use your 3M Fine Cut, or even better, get some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, and try that vigorously on a small portion of the windshield and see what happens. (that's presuming that you don't have a machine polisher).
    Unfortunately, you are right about my not having anything close to a Porter-Cable. I do detail my cars by hand. Been a long time Zaino guy, got the MFs.

I find some windshields to be very finicky, but that seems to be mostly Asian cars...perhaps they have some regulations over there that result in softer glass. One that I have is not only soft but also just seems to hold onto residues.
    I've read that it may be worthwhile to try Bon Ami. Probably will try today or tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

no i dont have the problem. am putting on paint defender today. love the car though.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Bon-Ami is an old standby, I've never used it myself. If you have some Z-PC, I'd try that by hand if you've got a terry or MF applicator. There's also usually some glass polish of some sort at Auto Parts store, those work chemically, maybe like the Bon-Ami.

Post Thanks / Like

there's all kinds of stuff on your glass when it comes from the factory. I regularly see cars with the suction cup marks on the inside where they held the glass in place while putting it together.

Ceri-glass, lots of water, be sure to tape off small cracks and crevices as the ceri glass will splatter everywhere and is very thin and will get into small areas and stain white.

Be sure to treat afterwards with a glass coating or a good wax

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, it's a brand new car with a bumper to bumper warranty. Take it back to the dealer and have them correct the problem. Problem solved.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrs1418 View Post
    there's all kinds of stuff on your glass when it comes from the factory. I regularly see cars with the suction cup marks on the inside where they held the glass in place while putting it together.

Ceri-glass, lots of water, be sure to tape off small cracks and crevices as the ceri glass will splatter everywhere and is very thin and will get into small areas and stain white.
    That's crazy (see below), there's no way a brand new car should need CeriGlass unless the dealer fouled it up--nothing from the factory should require that--you don't need CeriGlass to take off suction cup marks, man! You're telling someone who doesn't even own a polisher to take a highly abrasive compound to the windshield of a $40K+ brand new car...I'm sorry, that's just bad advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Hey, it's a brand new car with a bumper to bumper warranty. Take it back to the dealer and have them correct the problem. Problem solved.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast