autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How to achieve mirror polish on bare aluminum wheels

First off, this forum has been invaluable on my quest to improve my paint polishing / maintenance skills. I now find myself with a similar quest that I've not found good details on using the search function. My issue is getting a mirror finish on bare aluminum such as that on my Raceline wheels. They have a nice flat 3"+ lip that is giving me trouble. Yes, they are uncoated surfaces.

I have used the mini ball and Wolfgang fine aluminum polish and Blackfire Wet Diamond Aluminum Show Polish. The PC7424 with 3" pad doesn't do the job as the pad stops rotating. I've tried the same polishes on some 4" aluminum tube on my Spectre air intake with the PC and white or black CCS pads with the same result. I just always seem to have a bit of a haze and cannot seem to get past this.

Getting frustrated as the show date approaches this weekend.

HELP!

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to achieve mirror polish on bare aluminum wheels

Once you're done with machine polishing, use the finest grade polish you can find (our Billet Metal Polish has the finest scratch pattern of any metal polish I'm aware of), an a nitrile glove.

Apply the polish with your fingertips in the glove, and polish a small section at a time. Wipe the polish off gently while wet, turning the quality microfiber towel frequently and using the lightest amount of pressure possible.

If it's a good metal, and the major scratches have been removed prior, this is the most flaw-free method I'm aware of.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So, do you use less pressure and slower speeds for the final polish or higher speed and low pressure?

I have tried the apply by finger method but it is seemed difficult to get even results.

Thanks for the help.

Any other tips or success stories out there?

Post Thanks / Like

*You're trying to remove haze produced by the former product with a "no cut" product.

*If you're using the same mini on both polishing steps, then you're probably contaminating you work surface.

*Mothers has the finest QC of any leading metal polish mfg., IMO, and is the most sought after last step polish.

*Forest's tip using the nitrile glove is much better than using your fingers.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I felt I was using a diminishing abrasive approach as suggested by both the Wolfgang and Blackfire polishing systems. Just I have the mid level polish from Wolfgang and finish polish by Blackfire.

I use 2 mini balls - one for each product and clean them with MF cleaner every wheel at least.

Just tried the nitrile glove with the show polish and it looks less shiny than before.

Am I creating a problem using watered down IPA to help remove the black residue before buffing off?

Post Thanks / Like

I have Finished out with m205 after metal polishing. Left it looking nice and tight.
    Brian's Custom Detailing
    Where detail matters
    www.BriansCustomDetailing.com

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple of thoughts:

1) The final result will be partly dependent on the quality of the surface. A $6-700 billet rim will have a better aluminum than one that costs $150 and is cast, so expect a finish equivalent to the surface you have.

2) Once you get to a smooth, flaw free finish, you can use the Billet with the nitrile glove by dipping a couple fingers' worth. Use light pressure and a low speed. If you're rubbing hard you're not helping the situation. Remove with clean surfaces of a quality microfiber. Inexpensive microfibers will scratch a bare aluminum finish.

3) What speed are you using the PowerBall Mini? We see too many cases of high speed - you polish by hand at <200 rpm equivalent, so there's no reason to run a drill at 1500 rpm. It creates a haze.

Polishes formulated for paint should be used on paint. An appropriate metal polish should be used on a metal finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree. But some expirimenting has lead to the best inventions/outcomes.

Just some devils advocate but your advice, Forest, is spot on what I've dealt with and experienced.
    Brian's Custom Detailing
    Where detail matters
    www.BriansCustomDetailing.com

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So it sounds like you guys are saying too much speed can result in hazing. I am using the PC at a speed of 4-5.

I guess I also question how much is enough polish, when to stop polishing and wipe off to avoid hazing, etc.

I just havent seemd to find the 'right' method.

The wheels are in good shape and were a brilliant shine originally. Just as you say aluminum is soft and doesnt take long to get minor scuffing from washes, etc.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm going back and testing a spot by hand with foam pad....

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    I'm going back and testing a spot by hand with foam pad....
    A foam pad is not going to help, if you're looking for a haze free finish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast