autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My wheels are stained, need help!

Quote Originally Posted by specv10 View Post
    old thread revival but would like to know if he got the stains out?

i have some racing hart type c 3 piece wheels and i got similar stains off using
    cg fine metal polish

didnt have any luck with neverdull or OTC products
    Here are the products i used to try to get the residue off.
    I understand the concours polish is finishing polish, but i used it to see how shiny i could get the lips.

Note: I also used a meguiars cone and a drill at 2800 RPM.

The nevr dull did pretty much nothing for me, i put in some serious elbow grease and got very little tarnish off. So you can scrap that idea.

The meguiars "all metal polish" that came with the the cone actually worked quite well at getting most of the stains out.

The same goes for the flitz polish, thought the flitz left more of a mess than the all metal polish, it still did a decent job at polishing out the stains on the face of the wheel and a bit on the lips.

The concours worked fantastic when it came to getting the lips super shiny, but no affect on the stains.

In conclusion, between using the flitz and the meguiars polish i was able to get out about 85% of the stains. I havent tried to find a different solution to get out the rest (hard to reach) stains. Im still open to suggestions.

Here is a picture of some of the stains that still remain, its seems to be really cemented into the metal.

So SpecV10,
    would you recommend getting chemical guys polish? Did it help with getting out tarnishes/stains? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vertigo View Post
    Here are the products i used to try to get the residue off.
    I understand the concours polish is finishing polish, but i used it to see how shiny i could get the lips.

Note: I also used a meguiars cone and a drill at 2800 RPM.

The nevr dull did pretty much nothing for me, i put in some serious elbow grease and got very little tarnish off. So you can scrap that idea.

The meguiars "all metal polish" that came with the the cone actually worked quite well at getting most of the stains out.

The same goes for the flitz polish, thought the flitz left more of a mess than the all metal polish, it still did a decent job at polishing out the stains on the face of the wheel and a bit on the lips.

The concours worked fantastic when it came to getting the lips super shiny, but no affect on the stains.

In conclusion, between using the flitz and the meguiars polish i was able to get out about 85% of the stains. I havent tried to find a different solution to get out the rest (hard to reach) stains. Im still open to suggestions.

Here is a picture of some of the stains that still remain, its seems to be really cemented into the metal.

So SpecV10,
    would you recommend getting chemical guys polish? Did it help with getting out tarnishes/stains? Thanks.

i didnt bring my camera with me but ill post the lips on my wheels to show you how cg polish left my wheels...

i do beleive its a fine polish so ive been thinking about picking up something stronger to get rid of the stains entirely ..

if you look at the area where the bolts are you can see the same residue/stain that is present on your wheels... i was able to almost get rid of it completely using the cg product i got but i wasnt able to bring back that shine iike i wish it was( could be because im doing it manually but will be picking up a dremmel to buff those areas out ..if i decide to pick something else up before sept 8th and it works for me i can send you some in a container or something just pay the shipping

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the offer. I think the next step for me is to take my wheels apart and really get in there with the buffer. Ill probably wait after car season lol. Than ill start on them again and ill update this thread if i find a better cleaner for my problem. Makes me so mad though because these wheels are not even old!!

Love your setup btw.

Post Thanks / Like

You might need a much more aggressive polish and some kind of wool pad/cotton buff wheel to remove those. Sanding with 1500-2000 might be the quickest option for removing deep stains, followed by polishing.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ken tuep View Post
    You might need a much more aggressive polish and some kind of wool pad/cotton buff wheel to remove those. Sanding with 1500-2000 might be the quickest option for removing deep stains, followed by polishing.
    Thats always a possible solution and one i might have to follow through with. Thats the one thing i love about having polish over chrome, you can always sand it down and shine it back up again. Thanks for your input!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123